Donations for the month of February

We have received a total of $100 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Featured Member
jaf
jaf
Forum Stats
852 Members
30 Forums
6114 Topics
48146 Posts

Max Online: 64 @ Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:52 PM
Top Posters
Pilgrim 13586
J_Edwards 4843
Tom 4070
Wes 3553
chestnutmare 2672
CovenantInBlood 2375
MarieP 2311
RJ_ 2288
John_C 1993
gotribe 1770
Top Posters (30 Days)
chestnutmare 22
Pilgrim 19
Lynda 15
Tom 12
Robin 8
John_C 5
Tom Mor 3
li0scc0 2
Johan 2
Greg Bowman 1
Recent Posts
The historian Josephus
by John_C
Today at 09:16 AM
Marco Rubio
by jaf
Yesterday at 10:48 AM
Hosea 7:13-15
by chestnutmare
Thursday, February 4, 2016 11:10 AM
A NEW FAMILY by James Montgomery Boice
by chestnutmare
Monday, February 1, 2016 5:22 AM
Unity of truth
by chestnutmare
Friday, January 29, 2016 9:12 AM
Need some help.
by Johan
Monday, January 25, 2016 3:06 AM
Today at 08:22 AM The historian Josephus by John_C

What Christian-pertinent items did Josephus wrote about in his histories?

5 Views · 2 Comments
Monday, February 1, 2016 5:22 AM A NEW FAMILY by James Montgomery Boice by chestnutmare

When a person is born into this world, they are born into a family of sorts (maybe not even what should be considered a real family), who take care of the needs necessary for growth and development. So also when a person is “born again” and adopted as sons and daughters of God, we are given a new family. Many Christians find themselves alienated by the world, including members of our natal families who reject us for our faith. The redeemed ones, those adopted by God, have been given a new family. This article discusses the nature, responsibilities and privileges of this new family.
Quote:

The attitudes that should flow from these new relationships do not always follow naturally or easily. But that is all the more reason to grasp this truth forcefully and work at the relationships. John White has put the task in these terms,

You were cleansed by the same blood, regenerated by the same Spirit. You are a citizen of the same city, a slave of the same master, a reader of the same Scriptures, a worshiper of the same God. The same presence dwells silently in you as in them. Therefore you are committed to them and they to you. They are your brothers, sisters, your fathers, mothers and children in God. Whether you like or dislike them, you belong to them. You have responsibilities toward them that must be discharged in love. As long as you live on this earth, you are in their debt. Whether they have done much or little for you, Christ has done all. He demands that your indebtedness to him be transferred to your new family. ~ John White

You can read this month’s article, A NEW FAMILY by James Montgomery Boice HERE

238 Views · 0 Comments
Saturday, January 23, 2016 2:48 PM Samuel Rutherford — Extracts from his Letters by chestnutmare

I see grace growth best in winter.

174 Views · 1 Comments
Saturday, January 23, 2016 1:25 PM The Church by Tom

The Church
There seems to be a common thread on the Highway boards concerning local Churches. People have been having trouble finding biblical Churches and those who are in Churches are having biblical issues concerning false teaching that is starting to infiltrate their local Church.
I have been blessed in the last five years or so, to be a member of what I consider to be the most biblical local Church I have ever been to. However, even here in those five years we have had a lot of problems.
Among those problems is the fact that early on in my pastor’s ministry, he found that actually preaching what our statement of faith says steps on a lot of toes. Unbeknown to him when he accepted the call to ministry, several of the elders were not Calvinists in soteriology. That issue caused huge problems and eventually those elders left the Church. This however caused many others to leave the Church as well; which is something I believe was inevitable. After that, we became quite a small Church, but eventually word got out that we were Reformed Baptist who actually tried to preach and live what we believed, so we started gaining new members. At the time, I thought this was great, because with those new members big families were among them; which instead of the average member to be over 55, it dropped to all ages.
This however, caused its own problems, because many of those large families were involved in an organization called ‘Vision Forum’. I didn’t notice this for a while until I started hearing comments by some of its adherents, such as: “those who do not home school their children are sinning!”
To make a long story short over the next year after that, we lost all of those who held to ‘Vision forum’ teaching.
Recently because of a mistake my pastor made (that he is dealing with), we lost another elder. That caused several other families to leave.
Also, another prominent family left because (as their letter said) we are not dispensational and we should not be using outside material in our Bible study time, because we have enough people in our body to teach. This was in reference to a video series on Nouthetic Counselling, that my pastor thought would benefit our body. I have found this excellent, and have even used some of it. For about ¾ of a year we study the Bible and ¼ of the year we take a break to study things that the elders believe would benefit the Church.
I could go on and on about these kinds of things; but I think it gives an idea of what I have found.
From reading what others are saying, my experience is quite common.
Tom

198 Views · 0 Comments
Friday, January 22, 2016 12:43 AM Need some help. by Johan

Good day everyone! It has been a while since I posted something here. The last year was very busy and it seems as if 2016 is going to be even more challenging at work.

I need some help on a church matter. If you check my previous posts you will see that with about a three year cycle I posted something about our denomination's synod meeting where the issue of women in church office still is an issue that is discussed. This post is no different.

In 2015 we had our regular synod meeting at which quite a number of objections were submitted against a decision of the 2012 synod to not allow women to be ordained as elders and ministers (pastors). I can't remember the exact reason but it was decided that a special synod be called at the beginning of 2016 to discuss and decide on only the objections submitted for the 2015 synod. So, last week this special synod met and all the objections were eventually rejected. This means that the decision of the 2012 synod still stands.

My problem now lies with my own pastor. In 2012, on the Sunday after the synod ended, in reaction to the decision of the synod, he said from the pulpit that "this is not what one would have wanted", meaning to say that he and others do not "like" the decision of the synod. Now, what upset me of this statement (then and now) was that at the 2012 synod, before voting, there was serious prayer that the Lord guide the synod in this vote. What the minister's statement implied for me is that since the outcome of the vote was not in support of his view (which is that women can be ordained), the Holy Spirit didn't guide the synod.

Last Sunday, although not with the same words, he made a similar statement. In this case he said the issue of the ordination of women is not a central issue of our faith. In 2012 I did not reacted to his statement but I now feel that the time is ripe to seriously react to these statements.

It certainly is true that when proclaiming the Gospel and someone comes to faith in Christ, that the issue of the ordination of women does not play any role. In this sense one can then say that "Honor your father and mother" as well as "You shall not steal" also are not central issues of our faith. In a similar way, God's command in Exodus 23:4,5 which reads “If you meet your enemy's ox or his donkey going astray, you shall bring it back to him. If you see the donkey of one who hates you lying down under its burden, you shall refrain from leaving him with it; you shall rescue it with him" can also be seen not as a central issue in our faith.

However, and this is how I see it, true faith in Christ implies obedience to His commandments. And none of these commandments were given for no reason at all. God's commandments reflects His character and His people should also reflect His character. Is this not why He repeatedly said "Be holy as I am holy". Thus, when someone comes to faith he/she is brought to obedience to God to joyfully obey His commands. Through the work of the Holy Spirit the person then sees the real meaning of the command and it is no burden to obey. Honoring father and mother, not stealing and, loving your enemy (which is implicit in Exodus 23:4,5) then becomes part of your faith in Christ. Moses always reminded Israel to keep all the commands and not only certain commands.

Question: Am I reasoning in the right way here to make the connection to the statements of the minister? Surely, Paul's instructions to Timothy, Titus and the churches in Ephesus and Corinth are similar to Moses' instructions to Israel: they are from God.

If you can add anything else I shall appreciate it.

Johan

427 Views · 2 Comments
Who's Online
1 registered (firstofthree), 21 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Cora O, cathmg, CHISHA LEWIS, ASSBG, Cynthia
852 Registered Users
Shout Box

February
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29