Donations for the month of August

We have received a total of $220 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,476
Posts50,493
Members915
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,235
Tom 3,224
chestnutmare 2,834
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,736
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,057
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 40
Pilgrim 26
John_C 6
Recent Posts
Charlottesville Virginia and White Supremacy
by Tom. Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:03 PM
A new translation - CSB
by goldenoldie. Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:43 AM
Introduction the this forum
by Tom. Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:41 PM
Am I living out the Gospel Message
by PerpetualLearner. Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:05 PM
Question Concerning Children and Discipline
by Tom. Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:28 PM
2 hours ago A new translation - CSB by John_C
What is optimal equilvalence? I know the NIV used dynamic equivalence. So the question is what is the difference between the two?

Here is an extract from the opening paragraph on the website.

HOW THE CSB WAS TRANSLATED

The CSB was translated using a methodology called Optimal Equivalence, which balances contemporary English readability with linguistic precision to the original languages. In the many places throughout Scripture where a word-for-word rendering is clearly understandable, a literal translation is used. When a word-for-word rendering might obscure the meaning for a modern audience, a more dynamic translation is used.

8 Views · 1 Comments
4 hours ago Jealousy by chestnutmare
Let it be remembered then, that jealousy, like anger, is not evil in itself, or it could never be ascribed to God; His jealousy is ever a pure and holy flame. The passion of jealousy possesses an intense force, it fires the whole nature, its coals are juniper, which have a most vehement flame; it resides in the lowest depths of the heart, and takes so firm a hold that it remains most deeply rooted until the exciting cause is removed; it wells up from the inmost recesses of the nature, and like a torrent irresistibly sweeps all before it; it stops at nothing, for it is cruel as the grave (Cant. 8:6), it provokes wrath to the utmost, for it is the rage of a man, therefore he will not spare in the day of vengeance (Proverbs 6:34), and it overthrows everything in the pursuit of its enemy, for “wrath is cruel, and anger is outrageous; but who is able to stand before jealousy?” For all these reasons jealousy is selected as some faint picture of that tender regard which God has for His own Deity, honor, and supremacy, and the holy indignation which He feels towards those who violate His laws, offend His majesty, or impeach His character.
~ Charles Spurgeon.

1 Views · 0 Comments
4 hours ago I the Lord thy God am a jealous God. by chestnutmare
I the Lord thy God am a jealous God.

Let us give God no just cause to be jealous. A good wife will be so discreet and chaste, as to give her husband no just occasion of jealousy. Let us avoid all sin, especially this of idolatry, or image-worship. It is heinous after we have entered into a marriage covenant with God, to prostitute ourselves to an image. Idolatry is spiritual adultery, and God is a jealous God, he will avenge it. Image-worship makes God abhor a people. 'They moved him to jealousy with their graven images. When God heard this, he was wroth, and greatly abhorred Israel.' Psa 78: 58, 59. 'Jealousy is the rage of a man.' Prov 6: 34. Image-worship enrages God; it makes God divorce a people. 'Plead with your mother, plead; for she is not my wife.' Hos 2: 2.

'Jealousy is cruel as the grave.' - Song of Solomon 8: 6.

As the grave devours men's bodies, so God will devour image-worshippers.

~ Thomas Watson.

1 Views · 0 Comments
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:40 PM Whilst we live here, there is a fight and strife in us by chestnutmare
Whilst we live here, there is a fight and strife in us which are the elect and, children of God;" "the flesh," outward man, body, and "old man," striving against "the spirit," inward man, "new man," and "new creature:" that is, so much as we are regenerate and endued with God's Spirit, we do strive and fight against all the powers of our souls and bodies; retaining the natural and corrupt affections we have in us, and shall have so long as we live, to bring them as much as may be into obedience to the Spirit; at the least to bridle them, that they bear not dominion or rule in us.

This battle and strife none have but the elect "children of God:" and they that have it are the elect "children of God" ("in Christ before the beginning of the world,") whose salvation is as certain and sure as is God himself; for they are given to Christ, a faithful Shepherd, who hath so prayed for them lest they should perish, that we know his prayer is heard: — yea, he promiseth so to keep them that "they shall not perish." And therefore they ought to rejoice, and comfort themselves in their conflicts, which are testimonials, and most true, that they are the elect and dear "children of God;" for else they could not, nor should not feel any such strife in them.
~ John Bradford.

13 Views · 0 Comments
Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:28 PM Question Concerning Children and Discipline by Tom
My boss who lives in low income housing; was telling me about an incident he had with his daughter. His daughter had been misbehaving and he had gave her a stern talking to. A little later, his daughter went out on the front steps and cried.
An old lady saw her crying and came up and asked her what the matter was and his daughter responded that her dad is mad at her. Later that day, social services knocked on their door (apparently for the second time since they have lived there) and sat down with him and it became very clear what he did to his daughter could get his daughter taken away; because it is against the law.
He went onto say, that he would love to move out of low income housing, because it is not that uncommon what happened to him. He said low income housing is full of busy bodies. However, he cannot afford to move anywhere else.
He told me that the reality is that if a mom or dad disciplines their children and it gets out depending on how officials interpret the situation, they may lose their children, or face jail time. In other words if the child disobeys the parents have very little recourse.
When I heard him say this, unfortunately (I needed to apologize to him) I was indignant and told him that I would rather go to jail than obey the law when the law is wrong. He first told me, he understands what I am saying, but it would not help matters for you to go to jail.
Any thoughts on this issue?
Tom

40 Views · 0 Comments
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Tom), 17 guests, and 142 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Petey Bad, Derwood, lynn, PerpetualLearner, TruthSeeker
915 Registered Users
Shout Box
August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31