Donations for the month of August

We have received a total of "$30" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,810
Posts51,825
Members937
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,624
Tom 3,662
chestnutmare 2,973
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,785
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 21
Pilgrim 20
John_C 4
Meta4 2
Recent Posts
Baltimore: A City's Decay as a Metaphor of the Church
by Pilgrim. Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:39 PM
Christianity and the Law
by Pilgrim. Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:18 PM
John Piper view on final salvation by works
by Pilgrim. Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:43 AM
Pactum Salutis
by Pilgrim. Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 AM
"I hate pride and arrogance!"
by chestnutmare. Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:19 AM
Looking for a good book(s)
by John_C. Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:27 PM
4 hours ago Plato vs Aristotle [by John_C]
I've started reading Nick Needham's book on the Renaissance and the Reformation. From what I gather the Reformers sided with the humanists taking Plato's view, while those loyal to RCC sided with the scholastics taking an Aristotle view. What is the difference between Plato and Aristotle in those debates?
0 2 Read More
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:09 AM Baltimore: A City's Decay as a Metaphor of the Church [by Pilgrim]
Dr. Paul Elliott has recently posted the first article in an upcoming series on the decay of the Church (visible). I was personally amused, in a good way, to read through this short introductory article for it echoes what I have been suggesting... okay, insisting for years that there is an uncanny and sad similarity between modern government and the modern visible church, both of which are corrupt and are barely recognizable when compared to their respective beginnings. I'm thinking particularly, as might be expected, of the United States of America and to a lesser degree Canada as well.

Anyway, here's a link to the first article in this new series which I am looking forward to reading, D.v. Perhaps you will find it as potentially provocative but a needed breath of fresh air as well. shrug grin

Clicky here: Baltimore: A City's Decay as a Metaphor of the Church.

[Linked Image]
4 156 Read More
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 PM Around The Wicket Gate [by chestnutmare]

A certain German duke was accustomed to call upon his servant to read a chapter of the Bible to him every morning. When anything did not square with his judgment he would sternly cry, "Hans, strike that out." At length Hans was a long time before he began to read. He fumbled over the Book, till his master called out, "Hans, why do you not read?" Then Hans answered, "Sir, there is hardly anything left. It is all struck out!" One day his master's objections had run one way, and another day they had taken another turn, and another set of passages had been blotted, till nothing was left to instruct or comfort him. Let us not, by carping criticism, destroy our own mercies. We may yet need those promises which appear needless; and those portions of Holy Writ which have been most assailed by skeptics may yet prove essential to our very life: wherefore let us guard the priceless treasure of the Bible, and determine never to resign a single line of it.

~ Charles H. Spurgeon
1 42 Read More
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 AM Pactum Salutis [by Tom]
Pactum Salutis
Recently while studying the Reformed doctrine of the Trinity, I came across some words I don’t remember hearing before; “pactum salutis”. It is very possible, that I may have seen these words used, but just don’t remember. However, the reason I bring this issue up is it brought a memory from a frustrating discussion I had years ago regarding the heretical novel called ‘The Shack’. In defence of the book an Arminian theologian from the SBC, told me that the only reason I disagree with the portrayal of the Trinity in the book, was because I am a Calvinist and Calvinists are not Trinitarians, they are Tritheists.
I was quite shocked that he said this at the time, mainly because I had never heard an accusation like that before. I was also taken back a bit, because I had not even told him or anyone else I was a Calvinist. Even before I became a Calvinist, although my knowledge of such matters has grown, my understanding of the Trinity was basically the same as it is now. I bowed out of that conversation; but I did make enquiries about this accusation with fellow Reformed Christians. If memory serves me properly, everybody said the accusation was silly. However nobody brought up the words “pactum salutis”.
From what I am reading now; it appears that the particular Arminian theologian, may have made that claim because in his view “pactum salutis” amounted to the belief in “Tritheism”?
I plan on studying more on this matter; however I found that John Owen spoke a fair amount about this issue in his book ‘The Gospel Defended’. Which I don’t have, but I have read quotes out of it.
Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated. I need to admit this stuff stretches the grey matter between my ears. lol
Thanks
Tom
1 74 Read More
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:39 AM Christianity and the Law [by Tom]
For those who might be interested I am providing a link concerning the clash of world views that is happening in our world today, as it pertains to the law.
This particular link is pertaining to the law in Canada, however from what I am reading/hearing from the USA, is not much different.

http://www.christianlegalfellowship.org/blog

It is meant for information purposes, however I thought it might spark some discussion.

Tom
11 265 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 126 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Sonshine, CNAPS, Owen J. Knox, BrandonL, AlexM
937 Registered Users
Shout Box
August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
jd.morrison
Popular Topics(Views)
970,187 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.064s Queries: 5 (0.031s) Memory: 2.3363 MB (Peak: 2.6034 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2019-08-24 08:02:37 UTC