Donations for the month of September

We have received a total of $0 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
ReformedDisciple
ReformedDisciple
Dallas, Tx USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,683
Posts51,429
Members928
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,512
Tom 3,524
chestnutmare 2,920
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,769
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 18
Tom 15
Johan 2
Meta4 2
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Same Sex Atraction
by Pilgrim. Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:33 AM
What will it like to live in Heaven
by Pilgrim. Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:32 PM
Bill 89 taking children from Christian homes
by Tom. Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:10 PM
Pay Taxes
by Tom. Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:54 PM
Isaac Watts and the Trinity
by Pilgrim. Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:58 AM
Jury Duty
by ReformedDisciple. Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:07 PM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Open Forum
1 hour ago
1. Re: Lust, regardless for whom or what outside of marriage is sinful. There are tons of men and women too who lust after their opposite sex. And yes, that includes those professing to be Christians and who are even married. The same can be said for other sins which are listed on the second table of the Ten Commandments. In short, I find no biblical evidence to conclude that once a person is genuinely regenerated and converted to Christ that all sin is eradicated in that person. Paul certainly struggled his entire life with the "old man" and calls it a war within himself.

Romans 7:14-25 (ASV) "For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I know not: for not what I would, that do I practise; but what I hate, that I do. But if what I would not, that I do, I consent unto the law that it is good. So now it is no more I that do it, but sin which dwelleth in me. For I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me, but to do that which is good [is] not. For the good which I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I practise. But if what I would not, that I do, it is no more I that do it, but sin which dwelleth in me. I find then the law, that, to me who would do good, evil is present. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: but I see a different law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity under the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me out of the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then I of myself with the mind, indeed, serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."

The apostle John, under the divine influence of the Holy Spirit put it this way:

1 John 1:5-10 (ASV) "And this is the message which we have heard from him and announce unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: but if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

2. Most certainly, if one is given to struggle against a particular sin, a true believer will be humbled and not exalt himself/herself above others knowing the depth and heinous of their own sin. This is NOT to imply that we are to ignore the sins of others and/or condone their sins. Knowing that ALL are conceived in sin and under the power of the Evil One and under the wrath of God and His judgment unless He, by His boundless mercy and grace, regenerates our dead souls and gives us life in Christ. What should be in the front of every Christian's mind when we see the sinful ways of others around us is the old saying, "But for the grace of God, go I."

3. I agree with the writer of the article at nearly every point. Homosexuality in every and any form is sin for it is contrary to nature (what God created and intends to be) for mankind. There is no circumstance where a person can have romantic affections, desires for someone of the same sex and it is not sin. On the contrary, lusting after another person of the opposite sex (heterosexual desire) is not always sinful in and of itself. But again, I must stress that despite the fact that lust, in and of itself, is not sinful, it is sinful in every and any instance outside of marriage and that lust is for one's own spouse.

Exodus 20:17 (ASV) Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his man-servant, nor his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor's.

Matthew 5:27-30 (ASV) "Ye have heard that it was said, Thou shalt not commit adultery: but I say unto you, that every one that looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye causeth thee to stumble, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not thy whole body be cast into hell. And if thy right hand causeth thee to stumble, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not thy whole body go into hell."

Proverbs 6:23-25 (ASV) "For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; And reproofs of instruction are the way of life: To keep thee from the evil woman, From the flattery of the foreigner's tongue. Lust not after her beauty in thy heart; Neither let her take thee with her eyelids."

James 1:13-15 (ASV) "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempteth no man: but each man is tempted, when he is drawn away by his own lust, and enticed. Then the lust, when it hath conceived, beareth sin: and the sin, when it is fullgrown, bringeth forth death."
3 20 Read More
Open Forum
9 hours ago
My understanding of same sex attraction, is that it is sinful mainly because unlike opposite sex attraction in and of itself it is not sinful. Opposite sex attraction is how God created men and women and as such is part of the creation ordinance.
I have to admit I am not quite sure about your "thorn in the flesh" argument mainly because whatever Paul's thorn in the flesh was, unlike SSA it was not sinful. If what you say is true, you could be saying SSA is the thorn in the flesh is the blessing this person has in order to keep him humble and keep his reliance on God.
Am I missing something here? Lol, why do I get the feeling I am?
It is commendable of this particular person that he has stayed away from lustful thoughts of other men, because he knows to do so is sin. Yet where does the sin start; being attracted to the same sex; or the lust?
This person apparently is ok with the fact 'God has not taken his SSA away. In fact, I told him of an elder who as a teenager and young adult was gay. After he came to the Lord, over time he was attracted to woman in a natural manner and to make a long story short. He is married and has 5 children and is a mature Christian whose love for the Lord is very evident. This person's response to this was that the elder I am talking about is probably still a "closet homosexual"; because God sure didn't take his SSA away. Personally speaking, I believe that when one wants to obey Scripture eventually one usually loves the things God's loves.
By the way, I think I found a pretty good article. https://www.theaquilareport.com/sex-attraction-sinful/

Tom
3 20 Read More
Open Forum
Yesterday at 09:34 AM
Where does this person get the notion assumed that God would take away his homosexual attraction? There are men and women who have lifelong struggles with lust for the opposite sex and who are, by all reasonable indications, genuinely converted to Christ. Paul had a "thorn in the flesh" which God never removed... whatever that "thorn" was which was a blessing in that Paul was kept humble and put his reliance on God.

Good articles are going to be hard to find, although I have come across one or two over the years. Where they are located I cannot remember... big surprise for me. giggle But when searching, consider the source. The visible church in general has made some drastic changes over the past 50 years and not for the good. In many (most?) cases it is difficult to distinguish the church from the world, both in thought and practice. If you happen to find one or more articles which you think address the subject from a solid biblical foundation, why not post the links here so others can read them and judge for themselves, of course. wink
3 20 Read More
Open Forum
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:37 PM
What do you say to someone who says he is very devoted to the Lord and stays in the Word. However, says all his life he has been attracted to the same sex and has absolutely no desire for a woman.
He says he knows homosexuality is wrong and remains pure through a reliance on God. However, God has never taken his attraction to the same sex away.
He indicated that just like any single Christian male must not lust over a woman, he knows he can not lust over a man.

A good article on this particular issue would be appreciated as well.
Tom
3 20 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:32 PM
The best incontrovertible resource for what it is going to be in "heaven" is DEATH! grin

FYI, heaven is where the souls of departed Christians reside until the second coming.

The New Earth is where true Christians will spend eternity.
1 37 Read More
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:58 PM
What are some good resources in describing what Heaven will be like living there?

I really don't think there will be perfection as some has envision, however, it will be sinless which we really cannot envision as well. We all seen these cartoons of Heaven where every shot in golf goes into the hole, but when we shoot in the 100 we can do it sinless and joyfully. I think there will be chores, and somehow mistakes made, but without any sin involved.

Any thoughts are welcome.
1 37 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:10 PM
Pilgrim, thanks
As you know my children are grown and the way things are going I am glad of that.
However, I know many Christian families that this could effect.
Yet there is part of me that believes that as fellow Christians, we might need to stand with them and that may mean being arrested. Perhaps if enough Christian are willing to do this, it might help the matter? Would the government be willing to arrest thousands on a matter like this?
Concerning moving to other countries where this kind of thing is not happening.
We have already had a few large families from our local Church do just that. A few moved to Belize last year; which is a country that will allow Canadians to live. I have been there before, but other than Huderites, Menonites and Roman Catholics, I couldn't find a good Reformed Church. However, I do know a Reformed missionary family there.
Also years ago, a German family moved his family to Canada, because their school system is corrupt and is manditory. Home school is illegal there.
Tom
2 72 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:38 AM
Yes, I believe that Scripture teaches that parents, especially the father has not only the right but the obligation to guard the family when attacked and grievous harm would be the result. This is not to say that violent resistance should be the first response. If other means of resistance are available, then they should be considered first. In so many instances, wisdom and good judgment are necessary. In some cases, time is of the essence and one must choose how to respond in a fraction of a second. And in other cases, time is plentiful and allows for one to have thoughtful judgment and consultation.

The first thing that came to mind on this matter is there is the possibility of finding another place to live where this law, written by the Devil himself and those under his power does not exist.

And, just to make the point which I have made here several times and which in this matter is so apropos... when a government disarms the citizenry, tyranny is sure to follow since the people cannot resist against it.

When a Christian resists, whether in the right or wrong, the consequences that follow are to be expected, e.g., if a father hid his children from those who would take his children due to his religious beliefs in order to indoctrinate them with LGBT........... propaganda, it is possible he would be arrested and incarcerated for his actions. I believe resistance to the arrest is not allowed in Scripture. Disciples ignored orders to stop preaching the Gospel and were consequently arrested for their disobedience of a government order. They offered no resistance, but they did plead their case in court.

Matthew 24:21-22 (ASV) "for then shall be great tribulation, such as hath not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, nor ever shall be. And except those days had been shortened, no flesh would have been saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."
2 72 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:50 AM
Bill 89 taking children from Christian homes
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/b...n-bill-allowing-govt-to-take-kids-from-c
“Make no mistake, Bill 89 is a grave threat to Christians and all people of faith who have children, or who hope to grow their family through adoption.”
I have a question concerning this matter. Biblically speaking, would Christians have the right to fight (even physically) for their child?
Tom
2 72 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:54 PM
Great answer!
2 133 Read More
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:58 AM
The discussions exist and sorry to say, I simply do not have the free time to do the searching for you, Tom. This is going to be an extremely busy and tiring week for us. We really need 36 hour days and bodies that are 40+ years younger to be able to accomplish all that needs to be done. drop
3 226 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:55 AM
No! There is no way for an individual to earmark tax money for a particular expenditure. It is the government which is responsible for the distribution of tax revenue. However, an individual can in part determine where that money is spent by voting for individuals who will act and vote in whatever capacity they have against the distribution of funds to unworthy individuals, groups, etc., e.g., Planned Parenthood, NPR, etc.
2 133 Read More
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:29 AM
I did a search and so far, although I have found Isaac Watt's discussed, I have not found this particular issue discussed.

Tom
3 226 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:21 AM
Jump to new posts Pay Taxes [by Tom]

I was asked a question that was asked on another forum, that I thought before attempting to answer, I would get a few opinions.

I’ve got a question that I have been struggling with. As Christians we are to obey the government as long as that government does not conflict with God’s law. So how do we reconcile paying taxes knowing that the federal government is continuing to cut checks to planned parenthood? Are we as Christians in the US acting in disobedience to God by doing so?

Tom
2 133 Read More
Open Forum
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:07 PM
No. I think the bible would affirm submission to the call of jury duty. Christ always appeared before the judges and rulers. Besides, we get our legal system of operations from scripture, do we not?
3 251 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:44 PM
Okay, thanks for the feedback.

Does anyone know of any scriptural reason that a Christian may choose not to participate in jury duty?
3 251 Read More
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:54 PM
We have discussed this subject more than once here. grin
3 226 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:53 PM
Yes I would serve as a juror if called upon. Truth and justice are desirable, even here on earth. grin
3 251 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:53 AM
How do you feel about jury duty for a Christian?

If you were called for jury duty, would you serve, or in what manner would you repond?
3 251 Read More
Open Forum
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:15 AM
Mostly agree. One must be aware and cautious about "Christocentric" hermeneutics, which the author may or not embrace, although there are hints that he may. But the article is too short and not specific to that matter to make a reasonable judgment.
1 227 Read More
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:48 PM

I was told about video called ‘Was Isaac Watts a Unitarian?’ by Dr. Scott Aniol. As I was watching it, I found it to be quite informative. Before this, I never even knew there was a controversy concerning Isaac Watts and his beliefs about the Trinity. I thought it was worth sharing on the Highway for possible discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDJ0LTME0Bo&feature=youtu.be
If I can trust Dr. Aniol that he has accurately reflected Isaac Watts, I believe he shows what can happen when one is not creedal. Isaac Watts has many Trinitarian Hymns; that are sung in many Churches today. Yet his attempts to stay away from Creedalism has caused many problems. Problems that among other things; have caused even some Unitarians to quote Watt’s in defence of their beliefs.

Tom
3 226 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:47 PM
Do you agree with the article from the following link? It is fairly short.
https://corechristianity.com/resour...k-of-revelation-is-not-about-the-rapture

Tom
1 227 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:00 PM
So this guy is a premillennial dispensationalist? Ugh, I have a ways to go... I know I'll eventually learn to spot 'em by their speech. I'm still trying to figure a way to organize my reading schedule. Reading many books at the same time isn't challenging, it's finding the time.
6 565 Read More
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:32 PM
Thanks for the replies.
3 1,038 Read More
Devotional
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:42 PM
I found the following by Spurgeon in his Commentary on John. Something to think about.

John 14:9-11. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake.

The eternal union between Christ and the Father should never be forgotten by us. He seems to sink himself, but the well-beloved Son will have it that his words are not his own, but come from the Father. I cannot help remarking how different this is from some who profess to be the ministers of Christ. They must be original; they must be great thinkers. Every man nowadays makes his own gospel, but the Saviour was no original — the grandest of all intellects, and yet he says, “The words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself, but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me, or else believe me for the very work’s sake.”
0 101 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
reformedbygrace, ReformedDisciple, Micki Bowman, Nigel J, wischnotes
928 Registered Users
Shout Box
September
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Today's Birthdays
Leah Ireland
Popular Topics(Views)
809,477 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.048s Queries: 6 (0.005s) Memory: 2.5415 MB (Peak: 2.8063 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-09-21 11:55:17 UTC