Donations for the month of July

We have received a total of "$25" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Rick Bates
Rick Bates
Charlestown, R.I. US
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,053
Posts52,475
Members947
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,795
Tom 3,834
chestnutmare 3,038
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,799
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 3
Johan 1
Recent Posts
Man Stealing
by Pilgrim. Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:31 PM
Quote ~ A.W. Pink
by Pilgrim. Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:11 PM
The Lord My Hope ~ Octavious Winslow
by Rick Bates. Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:10 PM
Quote ~ A.W. Pink
by Rick Bates. Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:02 PM
Trial, A Help Heavenward
by chestnutmare. Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:54 AM
Why did Christ came into this world?
by Pilgrim. Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:24 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Quotes
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Ain't the sad truth! And, I fear that it isn't going to improve any time soon. The nations of this world have blasphemed God in their willful ignorance of Him who created them. But far worse is the unbridled hatred of God among the nations who have tasted the goodness of God and received bountiful benevolence from His hand, e.g., The British Isles, Canada and America to name but three. Perhaps??????? the Spirit will once again come upon these nations, or perhaps some other, e.g., Africa, South America...and bring Reformation and then genuine revival to His Glory and a remnant from among the multitudes will experience the grace and mercy of God and salvation in Christ Jesus. shrug

Romans 9:13-28 (ASV) 13 Even as it is written, Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated. 14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that hath mercy. 17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, For this very purpose did I raise thee up, that I might show in thee my power, and that my name might be published abroad in all the earth. 18 So then he hath mercy on whom he will, and whom he will be hardeneth. 19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he still find fault? For who withstandeth his will? 20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why didst thou make me thus? 21 Or hath not the potter a right over the clay, from the same lump to make one part a vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor? 22 What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering vessels of wrath fitted unto destruction: 23 and that he might make known the riches of his glory upon vessels of mercy, which he afore prepared unto glory, 24 [even] us, whom he also called, not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles? 25 As he saith also in Hosea, I will call that my people, which was not my people; And her beloved, that was not beloved. 26 And it shall be, [that] in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, There shall they be called sons of the living God. 27 And Isaiah crieth concerning Israel, If the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, it is the remnant that shall be saved: 28 for the Lord will execute [his] word upon the earth, finishing it and cutting it short.
3 31 Read More
Open Forum
Yesterday at 01:31 AM
I say again... unless your friend can produce irrefutable evidence that Whitefield or Dabney were guilty of racism and looked upon their alleged slaves as chattle, then the accusation and disparaging remarks are to be rejected and branded as violations of the 9th Commandment.

Now as to the absurd suggestion that one should not read the writings of Whitefield or Dabney because they were slave owners is the wisdom of a genuine fool. Why? Because applying the same 'logic', we should not read the Bible, for all the writings came from the pens of sinners, some even vile sinners, e.g., David and Solomon. The fact that God the Spirit inspired them to write Scripture does not negate the fact that adultery, murder, greed, etc., constituted a good portion of their lives. Let's not forget to mention Peter too who denied the Lord Christ thrice and then went on to be publicly rebuked by Paul for his hypocrisy and 'racism' of Gentiles. "Let him cast the first stone who is without sin!". Do we overlook the sins of men? No, we cannot, but to totally dismiss them as reprobates is unwarranted for God is the Judge of men's souls. Let the writings of Whitefield, Dabney and countless other true men of God be cherished and read much so that we may learn from both their wisdom and faults.

I suspect that at the Judgment, your alleged "Reformed" friend and those like him will not see the faces of either Whitefield or Dabney. For how could they see them since they will most likely be far back in the throng of worshippers while Whitefield and Dabney will be toward the front. evilgrin
3 61 Read More
Devotional
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:11 PM
Thanks for this quote too! BigThumbUp

For a more detailed understanding of what A.W. Pink wrote in this quote, y o u (pl) would find this following article by Pink quite revealing, refreshing and reassuring: Present Day Evangelism.
1 27 Read More
Devotional
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:10 PM

"The Lord is my portion, says my soul"

"The Lord Jesus Christ, who is our hope."--1 Tim. 1:1

What a precious possession of the believing soul, springing from the Lord as his Portion, is hope. Rob the poor worldling of his--though it be but earth-bound, and fading as a midsummer's evening sun--and you have plunged him in the dark and deep abyss of despondency and despair. Man without hope is the most miserable being in the universe. But with the hope of the Christian glowing in his heart--a hope of which God is the Giver, Jesus the Foundation, the Spirit the Author, and heaven the goal--and there lives not among the happy, a happier being than he. Thus the believer is "saved by hope." Look, my soul, for a moment at this inestimable part of your portion, and learn more thoroughly in what it consists--what the sweet soothing it imparts, the holy obligations it imposes, and the splendid revelations it anticipates and unveils to faith's far-seeing eye. HOW does the believing soul arrive at the possession of Christ as its hope?

The first step is to relinquish every other. A hope of heaven built upon obedience to the law, upon our personal merits, upon anything of good that we fancy we are or can do, is a false hope; and, persisted in, will most assuredly make its deluded and unhappy possessor lamentably and eternally ashamed. Hope, too, springing from church privileges, religious ordinances, charitable gifts and pious duties, is equally fallacious and fatal.

But you, O believer, have not so learned Christ, if so be you have been taught by Him the truth as it is in Jesus. The Holy Spirit has written the sentence of death upon yourself, and upon all the dead works springing from self; and fleeing as from a plague-tainted garment out of your own righteousness, you have run into Christ, and enfolding yourself by faith in His righteousness, wrought by His obedience and dyed in His blood, you are justified and saved. Accepted in Him you are "beautiful as Tirzah, and all your garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made you glad." And now you have a "good hope through grace," and "peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Then let us raise loud and high the thanksgiving anthem, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again unto a living hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled, and that fades not away."

Look well to it that the lamp of your Christian hope is constantly trimmed and brightly burning. The golden oil that feeds the lamp is drawn from Jesus Christ, and the hand that trims the flame is faith. Despond not if at times the sun of your hope--to change the figure--is for a moment shaded, or is partially eclipsed. Built upon, and springing from Jesus Christ, it cannot entirely expire, since He Himself is our hope. Corruption within may strive to weaken it, adversity without may seem to shake it, temptations from concealed sources may fearfully assail it, nevertheless, your hope shall not perish from the Lord, but, built upon Christ, nourished by Christ, kept by Christ, and looking forward to being with and enjoying Christ forever, like a fine setting sun it shall grow larger and brighter as it descends, until dissolving into heaven's eternal effulgence it is lost in the full fruition of glory.

With such a hope as Christ, how strong and solemn the obligation to deny all ungodliness and worldly lusts, and to live godly, righteously, and soberly in this present evil world. How humbly and submissively should we bow to all our Father's afflictive discipline, since He has given us His beloved Son to dwell in our hearts "the hope of glory." Thus "every man that has this hope in him purifies himself, even as He is pure." Cheer up, then, disconsolate one!
0 17 Read More
Open Forum
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:02 PM

“Those cheap-jack evangelists who aim no higher than rushing people into making a formal profession of faith in order that the membership of the churches may be swelled, take those who are inspired by a genuine compassion and deep concern for the perishing, who earnestly long and zealously endeavor to deliver souls from the wrath to come, yet unless they be much on their guard, they too will inevitably err. Unless they steadily view conversion in the way God does—as the way in which He is to he glorified—they will quickly begin to compromise in the means they employ. The feverish urge of modern evangelism is not how to promote the glory of the triune Jehovah, but how to multiply conversions. The whole current of evangelical activity during the past fifty years has taken that direction. Losing sight of God’s end, the churches have devised means of their own.”

By, A.W. Pink
0 20 Read More
Devotional
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:54 PM
The school of trial is the school of spiritual knowledge.

"Blessed is the man whom You chasten, O Lord; and teach out of Your law."
Oh yes, in severe trials we learn more of…
God's power to support us,
His wisdom to guide us,
His love to comfort us,
in a degree we could not have learned but in the way of trial!

In affliction, we grow in a knowledge of ourselves, learning more of our superficial attainments, shallow experience, and limited grace. We learn, too, more of our weakness, emptiness, and vileness—the plough-share of trial penetrating deep into the heart and turning up its veiled iniquity. And oh, how does this deeper self-knowledge lay us low, humble and abase us. And when our self-sufficiency and our self-seeking and our self-glorying is thus mowed down—then the showers of the Savior's grace descend "as rain upon the mown grass," and so we advance in knowledge and holiness heavenward.

Trial, too, increases our acquaintance with Christ. We know more of the Lord Jesus through one sanctified affliction, than by all the treatises the human pen ever wrote! Christ is only savingly known, as He is known personally and experimentally.
Books cannot teach Him,
sermons cannot teach Him,
lectures cannot teach Him.
They may aid our information and correct our views—but to know Him as He is, and as we ought, we must have personal dealings with Him.

Our sins must bring us to His sin-atoning blood,
our condemnation must bring us to His righteousness,
our corruptions must bring us to His grace,
our needs must bring us to His fullness,
our weakness must bring us to His strength,
our sorrow must bring us to His sympathy, and
His own loveliness and love must attract us to Himself.

And oh, in one hour, in a single transaction, in a lone sorrow, which has brought us to Jesus—who can estimate how rapidly and to what an extent we have grown in a knowledge of His person and work, His character and love?

Oh yes, times of trial are times of growth in experimental knowledge. We see God and Jesus and truth from new standpoints, and in a different light; and we thank the Lord for the storm which dispelled the mist which hid all this glory, unveiling so lovely a landscape and so serene a sky to our view.

I have seen more of my own vileness,
and known more of Jesus,
and have penetrated deeper into the heart of God,
and have a clearer understanding of revealed truth,
and have learned more of the mysteries of the divine life
—on this bed of sickness, in this time of bereaved sorrow, in this dark cloud that has overshadowed me—than in all my life before!

~ Octavius Winslow
0 21 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Johan

We believe that God calls all believers. God loves his earth, this world which he created even if it is so different from the world to come which the Apostle Peter describes. Therefore, in his grace/mercy He does not leave this world to itself to sink further into corruption and decay. He intervened by sending his Son into the world to counter the corruption and meaninglessness, to bring the world again to its original purpose, which is to honour God.

My question is: did the Father send the Son into this world as an intervention to counter the corruption and to bring THIS world to its original purpose?

My own answer is no, this is not why Christ came into the world, but I would like to hear what others say about this statement by the pastor.

I agree. Christ was not sent into this world to stop the corruption of the physical earth nor to stop or curb sin. Scripture plainly states in myriad places that the Son came to earth taking upon Himself human flesh to redeem a people for Himself. These "called out ones" (the elect) are called OUT of this world, albeit they still live in this world (Jh 17:14; 1Jh 2:15, 5:18-21; 2Cor 6:14-18; et al) . They are separate and separated from this world being sanctified by the indwelling Spirit in preparation for the New Heaven and New Earth where righteousness dwells. Restoration of this world cannot be done by 'Social Justice', 'racial equality', 'gender identity', 'climate change', etc., etc., ad nauseam. Restoration will be done by God's hand by first destroying the present world by fire and then being re-made. The result will make the original world pale in comparison to its beauty and perfection (cf. 2 Pet 3).
1 83 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:00 PM
Thank you, Pilgrim. I have avoided as you mentioned. I am now trying to clear up and understand the correct doctrine as opposed to the error I had previously been exposed to. It is my hope that by doing so I can correctly inform people with whom I come in contact and that by putting my questions on this forum it may help it’s readers.
4 220 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:03 AM
Agree 100%
A little while ago I read the following: https://www.ligonier.org/blog/your-testimony-not-gospel/ it reminded me of what you said.

Tom
5 886 Read More
What's New on The Highway website?
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:09 AM
The article for this month was authored by J.C. Ryle, of whom I hope many if not all of you are familiar with. The title of the article is "Growth", i.e., growth in holiness and the biblical text he used as a foundation for what he wrote is: “Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.” - 2 Peter iii. 18.

The subject of the text which heads this page is one which I dare not omit in this volume about Holiness. It is one that ought to be deeply interesting to every true Christian. It naturally raises the questions, Do we grow in grace? Do we get on in our religion? Do we make progress?

To a mere formal Christian I cannot expect the inquiry to seem worth attention. The man who has nothing more than a kind of Sunday religion - whose Christianity is like his Sunday clothes, put on once a week, and then laid aside - such a man cannot, of course, be expected to care about “growth in grace.” He knows nothing about such matters. “They are foolishness to him.” (1 Cor. ii. 14.) But to every one who is in downright earnest about his soul, and hungers and thirsts after spiritual life, the question ought to come home with searching power. Do we make progress in our religion? Do we grow?

I remember vividly, which is a rare thing for me lately giggle a phrase that a radio personality used to say at the end of every broadcast years ago which he obviously coined from this same text (2Peter 3:18)... "Grow in grace or groan in disgrace!" BigThumbUp

Enjoy!

You can go directly to this month's Article of the Month by clicking here: Growth.

OR

You can always find this article and all past articles of the month by visiting The Highway website, scrolling down the main page and click on the logo for the "Article of the Month".

In His service and grace,
0 77 Read More
Devotional
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:04 AM

His Atoning Blood

"The blood of Jesus, His Son, cleanses us from every sin." 1 John 1:7

The blood of Jesus is everything. It is the central doctrine of our faith, the present and eternal life of our souls. There is no pardon, no salvation, no heaven but by blood--the blood of the Lord Jesus. Were we to relinquish every other revealed truth, and concentrate upon this one our supreme and lasting study, resolving all our knowledge of the Bible into an 'experimental and personal acquaintance' with ATONING BLOOD--as, like a purple thread, it runs from Genesis to Revelation, it would not be a too exaggerated view of this vital and momentous subject. The blood is everything to us--it is everything to God. He provided it, is satisfied with it, beholds it, and when He sees it on the soul, that soul becomes a living and a lovely soul in His sight. May our meditation on atoning blood exalt our views of its dignity, increase in us its power, and endear to our hearts the preciousness of Him who shed it!

The blood of Jesus is DIVINE. It is the blood of God's Son, the God-man Christ Jesus. In this consists its sovereign virtue. The Divine nature of Christ rendered His obedience and death an offering and a sacrifice to God of a sweet-smelling savor.

The blood of Jesus is ATONING. It was shed for sin, it has made to Divine justice a full satisfaction for sin, it puts away sin. Is sin your burden, O my soul? Is it for your sins you do moan and weep, and are cast down? Behold, the sin-atoning blood of Jesus; believe, and weep no more. Here is that before which not a sin can stand.

The blood of Jesus is CLEANSING. It "cleanses us." Oh, this is what you do so deeply need, my soul! Sin-forgiving, guilt-removing, heart-cleansing, conscience-purifying blood. All this is the blood of Jesus to you. Wash in it, and you shall be whiter than snow. "He that is washed is clean, every whit." And mark the tense of the wonderful words on which this meditation is based--it is the present tense. The blood "cleanses." It has cleansed, it will cleanse, but, as touching our daily walk as believers in Jesus, we have to do with its present cleansing. In our Christian travel through a sinful world the feet are apt to slide, prone to wander, and are constantly contracting fresh defilement, needing the daily washing in the blood. What a sweet thought, O my soul! that the fountain is open, and the blood cleanses, even now cleanses us, from all sin.

The blood of Jesus SPEAKS. "The blood of Christ that speaks." Oh, what a voice has the blood of Jesus! What sweetness and majesty, what gentleness and power! It speaks, and the troubled conscience is at rest; it speaks, and the broken heart is healed; it speaks, and the tormenting doubt is hushed; it speaks, and the trembling fear is quelled. It speaks, also, within the veil. The voice of Jesus' blood is heard in glory, sweeter and louder than the voices of all the minstrels round about the throne. My soul, the voice of Jesus' blood pleads louder for you in heaven, than all your sins can plead against you on earth.

It is sprinkled blood--that is, APPLIED blood. Therefore it is called, "the blood of sprinkling." The blood of Jesus practically will not avail us unless applied to the conscience, just as the blood of the Paschal lamb had availed nothing to the Israelite, when the first-born of Egypt was slain, had it not been sprinkled upon his house. And so God said, "When I SEE the BLOOD, I will pass over you." O my soul! look well to this. Why is it that you are so doubting and fearful? Why are you not walking in a full sense of your pardon and acceptance in JESUS–basking in the sunshine of a present and assured salvation? Is it not because you are stopping short of the applied blood? Oh, come to the blood, the blood of sprinkling! Keep no guilt upon your conscience, no anguish for uncleansed sin in your heart; but wash daily in the precious blood of Christ, which cleanses from ALL sin.
0 245 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 54 guests, and 104 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Wood, David Clarke, CharlieFry, Michaelpatrick, ROB
947 Registered Users
Shout Box
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
1,103,420 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.037s Queries: 6 (0.003s) Memory: 2.4587 MB (Peak: 2.6703 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2020-07-12 15:47:13 UTC