Donations for the month of January

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,769
Posts54,849
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,441
Tom 4,511
chestnutmare 3,319
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,863
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 5
John_C 3
Recent Posts
Why or how did Jesus not know the time of his 2nd coming?
by DiscipleEddie - Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:20 AM
Galatians 5:16 Question
by tomatoetom - Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:21 AM
Ash Wednesday
by Pilgrim - Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:25 AM
Hamas and Growing Support
by Tom - Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:55 PM
A Question about This Forum
by DiscipleEddie - Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:15 PM
God Deals in Remnants
by ATulipNotADaisy - Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:36 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Theology Discussion Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Why or how did Jesus not know the time of his 2nd coming? DiscipleEddie Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:20 PM
The doctrine of the impeccability of Christ is an important teaching of the church and it is the basis of the illustration I've used explaining the OP title, so it is relevant for what I wished to show from my own experience. For those not familiar with the teaching, I suggest reading in the Systematic Theology of Robert L. Dabney, which you can read online:
https://grace-ebooks.com/library/Robert%20Dabney/RLD_Systematic%20Theology.pdf

Do a 'Find on Page' for "impecc" and select the 4th occurence. Dabney's presentation on the impeccability of Christ is 4 pages starting on p886 and on page 890 he moves on to "Does Christ Medicate in Both Natures"?" which is important to read following the impeccability of Christ.

Over the years I began to notice that we as Calvinists, in our theology are averse to 'leaving the ends undone' and must understand and explain every difficult text. Lutherans I've found are willing to let a text mean what it says, even if it cannot be easily explained, and this is mentioned by the Lutheran David Kuske in his textbook on interpretation, "Biblical Interpretation, The Only Right Way" -
"John Calvin (d. 1564) followed many of the same principles of interpretation that Luther did. There was one major difference, however. When Scripture says something that is difficult or even impossible for human reason to grasp (e.g. predestination, the real presence in the Lord's Supper, the two natures of Christ), Luther insisted that what Scripture says must be what it means, even though it may not be able to be fully understood. Calvin, on the other hand, felt that any such matter should be interpreted in a way that the meaning of the words were comprehensible to human reason." page 152-153

The impeccability or peccability of Christ dictates how one views Heb. 4:15. Was it possible for Christ to sin, or was it impossible for Christ to sin. In the discussion, the peccability views says he could have sinned in his human nature or it would not have been a true temptation; viewed by the impeccability of Christ he could not have sinned. One brief proof for me is "No one, when tempted, should say, “I am being tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil and he himself tempts no one. But one is tempted by one’s own desire, being lured and enticed by it; then, when that desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and that sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death." (Jas 1:13-15 NRSV)

John Gill in his Body of Divinity states in Book 5, Chap. 1 & 2 - "for in Christ was no sin, lust, or corruptton to stir up" and "Perfect holiness and impeccability: it is called, "the holy Thing"; it is eminently and perfectly so; without original sin, or any actual transgression; it is not conscious of any sin, never committed any, nor is it possible it should."

I therefore deny the possiblity of separating the Human from the Divine in the One Person, the Christ. In view of my belief, what am I to do with Mark 13:32, a favorite used by the Jehovah's Witnesses?

“But about that day or hour no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." (Mark 13:32 NRSV)

If I can't separate the Human from the Divine in Christ as to Heb. 4:15, how can I explain to my human reason, this verse restricting the knowledge of Jesus Christ by restricting this to Christ's human nature apart from his Divinity? I choose to admit I do not have a certain answer to this? I prefer to leave such questions in the realm of the incomprehensibile nature of God and just let the verse mean what it says. In like manner, I deal with such passages as the proof text of Christ's divinity in Zech. 12:10 and a similar statement in 1 Cor. 2:8.

"And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplication; and they shall look unto me whom they have pierced; and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his first-born." (Zech 12:10 ASV) The text refers to [b]Yahweh being pierced, "me whom they have pierced"
[/b]
"...which none of the rulers of this world hath known: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory:" (1Cor 2:8 ASV) Again, it is the Almighty God who is "the Lord of glory" that was crucified.

Rather than being dogmatic on theological theories, I prefer to stay with the following:

"Now these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes; that in us ye might learn not to go beyond the things which are written; that no one of you be puffed up for the one against the other." (1Cor 4:6 ASV)

"O the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?” (Rom 11:33-34, NRSV)

To see the debate, try an AI Search such as www.phind.com and ask something like "Was the Son of God incarnate omniscient?" Bing's "copilot" is another AI search option as well as perplexity or you.com
2 169 Read More
Re: Galatians 5:16 Question tomatoetom Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:21 PM
thank you Sanctification is synergistic God may sober up a person but its the persons job to keep the plug in the jug sorry laymens understanding I have to do my part . trudging the road of happy destiny
3 311 Read More
Open Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Ash Wednesday Pilgrim Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:25 PM
nope
1 149 Read More
Re: Ultra-Orthodox, etc Tom Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:55 AM
In addition, while the abusive practice of “conversion therapy” for members of the LGBT community is still legal in some parts of the U.S., it is banned in Israel.

You mentioned “abusive conversion therapy”.

I am assuming here you mean things such a shock therapy.

The reason why I mention that, is in Canada a Bill was passed called Bill C-4, that supposedly
was supposedly be for abusive conversion therapy.
However the Bill includes all forms of conversion therapy, even talking to homosexuals, about what the
Bible says about the subject as abuse.
That I know of, there has not been anyone convicted of this yet. However, most
believe it is only a matter of time before it happens.

By the way, the issue of this thread was the growing support of Hamas over Israel.
Not whether Israel is following the ideology of the Woke culture; which it is.
19 6,511 Read More
Re: A Question about This Forum DiscipleEddie Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:15 PM
Thank you Pilgrim for clearing up the questions I had on here. From what I have read here, I generally agree with you just as I agree with Matthew Henry, Matthew Poole, and from a Baptist's perspective, John Gill and Peter Pett, etc.

I suppose I hold to generally New Covenant Theology but I'm not sure how closely on related matters I'd be identified with those educated minds who hold to this. The 1646 Confession of the London Baptists is close to my beliefs and so far I do not recall any points in it that I disagree with.

I did not wish to be seen as a trouble maker or troll when I voice my views that differ from the more 'orthodox' Reformed position. I certainly do not break fellowship over the presentations I read in A. A. Hodge, R. L. Dabney, etc. In fact, Hodge was my first systematic theology textbook back before the Internet. Today of course I think there about 8 or so good theology textbooks online, including Dr. Louis Berkhof, and John Gill's Body of Divinity.

I've never considered John Gill's teaching of eternal justification being such a major topic to disturb me and I've never considered him anti-nomian. I love Gill's teaching on the Spiritual Reign of Christ because it describes how I understand the post-mil world before the second advent. If I were to be a pre-mil I'd have to embrace John Gill's presentation on it, rather than dispensationalism.

I apologize for my delayed response and also for any appearance that I was criticizing. I've have been and continue to be dealing with matters that cramp my time. I am studying on the timing of justification in relation to our personal expression of faith, so hopefully I'll come to some a more solid understanding on that. I have encountered what was termed "evidentiary justification" and it does seem more biblical than eternal justification. I know the Orthodox view is that faith is the instrument or means, so I am comparing the biblical basis of each argument. Dr. Berkhof does have a full section supporting the Orthodox view in opposition to the 'eternal' position. When I come to a better confidence in a personal view on that, I'll post my understanding, but as I say my time is intermittently cramped these days.

I'm thankful you have an orthodox Christian faith presentation online in this forum. The so-called Christian forums I've read, I question how they even merit the right to call themselves Christian. But I fear it is representative of the church in America in our day and I am convinced we are under God's judgment because of it.

Thanks for your gracious response!
2 399 Read More
God Deals in Remnants ATulipNotADaisy Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:36 PM
The article of the month, God Deals in Remnants, is spot on today. I was surprised to learn that "3,000 converts on the Day of Pentecost represented less than three-tenths of one percent of the devoutly religious people present in Jerusalem." It is well worth the time to read it.
0 134 Read More
What's New on The Highway website? Jump to new posts
God Deals in Remnants: Are We Willint to be One? Pilgrim Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:30 AM
The 'invisible church' may seem to be large with millions of professing christians throughout the world. Why, you can believe whatever you want, sometimes without question today and belong to some kind of 'church'. But the true Church on earth which is intermixed throughout the invisible church is but a REMNANT of that massive whole. And so, it was and it is God's will that only "a remnant shall be saved".

Romans 9:25-29 (KJV) 25 As he saith also in Hosea, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved. 26 And it shall come to pass, [that] in the place where it was said unto them, Ye [are] not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God. 27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: 28 For he will finish the work, and cut [it] short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth. 29 And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha.

Romans 11:1-5 (KJV) 1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, [of] the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, 3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. 4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to [the image of] Baal. 5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

This month's article focuses upon this forgotten biblical truth and then asks if you are willing to be part of that remnant?

You can read this month's article now by clicking here: God Deals in Remnants: Are We Willing to be One?.

For later reading you can visit The Highway website and click on the "Article of the Month" logo.

In His mercy and grace,
0 145 Read More
Soren Kierkegaard Tom Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:54 AM
Is anyone familiar with Soren Kierkegaard?

Apparently, he was against the writing of Paul, he believed Paul changed the teaching of Jesus.
I am not familiar with him and he of course is not the first heretic to say things like this.

Somebody wrote me the following and before I ignore it; I thought perhaps someone with more knowledge could
comment on it.

Soren Kierkegaard, writing in The Journals "In the teachings of Christ, religion is completely present tense: Jesus is the prototype and our task is to imitate him, become a disciple. But then through Paul came a basic alteration. Paul draws attention away from imitating Christ and fixes attention on the death of Christ The Atoner. What Martin Luther. in his reformation, failed to realize is that even before Catholicism, Christianity had become degenerate at the hands of Paul. Paul made Christianity the religion of Paul, not of Christ Paul threw the Christianity of Christ away, completely turning it upside down. making it just the opposite of the original proclamation of Christ"Oren

Tom
0 158 Read More
Censorship in Canada Tom Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:29 AM
It never ceases to amaze me, that Trudeau and his cronies are able to get away with anything they want.
Twice now, they refused a licensed news agency from doing their job. That news agency, Rebel News won both times in court. However Trudeau and his cronies believe they are above the law.
RCMP body guards have assaulted Rebel News reporters several times now on camera, at least three times, twice to the same reporter and as far as I know there have been no repercussions.
Now, I hear the same reporter who was assaulted twice has been arrested.
A Canadian journalist was arrested for asking Liberal MP Chystia Freeland
Sign on to join us: https://www.conservative.ca/cpc/stop-censoring-canadian-journalists/
Tom
0 134 Read More
Re: Antinomianism DiscipleEddie Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:04 PM
On #1, I know Dr. Gerstner is a highly respected Reformed scholar and I do not remember anything specifically I've read by him. My reply was to the "impression" I got from that article, probably out of a larger context. I was thinking as a typical reader who did not know who Gerstner was, but my reply was to your assesment that that article dispelled all the confusion, and I disagreed..

On #2, it is I who did not make myself clear on trichotomy. I have not held the tripartite nature of man for over 50 years. I mentioned one passage used by many based on trichotomy, and considered that doctrine dangerous as the carnal Christian teaching is dangerous. I was rejecting trichotomy along with "carnal Christian".

On #3, The idea of eternal justification is something I am giving a new look since I saw it connected so solidly to antinomianism, and I'm not so sure we can only use black and white thinking on some matters concerning God, of which we can't be quite so dogmatic. If the phrase "his faith is reckoned for righteousness" is used for timing, wouldn't it risk seeming to indicate neonomianism. Does it not mean that his faith indicates that he is, or he is to be considered righteous in Christ, but not when he was actually righteous in Christ?

In the past I had always just considered the idea of eternal justification interesting, but not spent any time on it, so I still have not formed a solid or dogmatic view on it. The one verse or passage that comes to mind that does cause me to think more strongly about the idea is:

"Do not be ashamed, then, of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God, who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works but according to his own purpose and grace. This grace was given to us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel." (2Tim 1:8-10 NRSV)

That sounds to me as if our salvation in total, was given to us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and this total salvation including justification was brought to light through the gospel, rather than belief in the gospel making our faith the determining factor. True, our faith is a gift, but just how detailed can I be about what in our total salvation was given before creation? There is another phrasing in the writings of Paul and John that has been taken back in the NRSVue to the literal rending of the the KJV and YLT:

"...it was to demonstrate at the present time his own righteousness, so that he is righteous and he justifies the one "who has the faith of Jesus" (Rom. 3:26 NRSVue) plus Rom. 3:22; Gal. 2:16, 3:22.

Prepositions admittedly are tricky, and this can be seen in all the ways the Greek ek can be understood as a look at Strong's shows. But, I am still working on whether this change in preposition has a bearing on the question of eternal justification, or is it solely a matter of our faith exercised?

On #4, I'll post a thread on that topic later, but Rom. 2:14 does state: "Gentiles, who do not possess the law," which is the Old Covenant, and that seems quite clear to me, and it agrees with statements made by Moses in the OT. Gentiles were brought from the everlasting law of God which was in existence in Genesis, before Moses, into the New Covenant, if they are of the elect. (I have some how messed up the "reply" placement)
2 412 Read More
Re: The correct word Pilgrim Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:24 PM
We hold to the biblical doctrine of "Irresistible Grace/Efficacious Grace" which basically teaches that God's salvific grace WILL infallible succeed. The radical transformation of regeneration is the means to that success. Just as with the unregenerate cannot and will not come to Christ the regenerate can and most assuredly desires to come to Christ. In both cases, the nature of the individual determines what that person desires and thus will do. Man is free (free agent) to choose according to his nature. He does NOT have a "free" will, i.e., he cannot choose that which is contrary to his nature. To speak of a "free will" is absurd for even God does not have a free will by the Arminian/semi-Pelagian definition for God CANNOT sin nor desire to sin due to his infinitely holy and righteous nature. To accredit fallen man with having an unfettered "free will" is to make man more powerful than God Himself. igiveup

One of the most beneficial books written on this subject is Thomas Boston's Human Nature in its Four-Fold State. Highly recommended reading. smile
4 667 Read More
Re: Doug Wilson - remind me Tom Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:05 PM
The union with Christ was a topic in Table Talk Magazine.
https://tabletalkmagazine.com/posts/union-with-christ-a-neglected-truth/
9 1,640 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 52 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
February
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29
Today's Birthdays
Myshkin
Popular Topics(Views)
1,501,917 Gospel truth