Donations for the month of September

We have received a total of "$30.51" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,819
Posts51,853
Members939
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,635
Tom 3,673
chestnutmare 2,975
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,788
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 14
Tom 11
John_C 4
Meta4 1
Recent Posts
Pawns on a Chess Board
by Pilgrim. Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:29 PM
Working on Sunday
by Pilgrim. Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 AM
Lordship Salvation Why So Controversial?
by Tom. Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:49 AM
Unregenerate Christians?
by Tom. Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:50 AM
Evangelism and Apologetics by Dr. Greg Bahnsen
by Pilgrim. Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:27 AM
Plato vs Aristotle
by Tom. Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:01 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Open Forum
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tom
When talking about God's sovereignty, should Reformed Christians use an analogy like "we are like pawns on a chessboard".
Is it a good analogy?
I read that analogy on a Reformed board.

That statement is not Christian, but Fatalism. God is incontrovertibly sovereign over ALL THINGS... And (not but), And man is wholly responsible for his every thought, word and deed. Thus all will have to give an account for the myriad sins committed from their conception to their physical death, not excluding the sin of Adam which is imputed to everyone by virtue of they all being a member of the human race; aka: Original Sin.

Acts 2:22-23 (ASV) 22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God unto you by mighty works and wonders and signs which God did by him in the midst of you, even as ye yourselves know; 23 him, being delivered up by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye by the hand of lawless men did crucify and slay:

Acts 3:13-18 (ASV) 13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Servant Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied before the face of Pilate, when he had determined to release him. 14 But ye denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted unto you, 15 and killed the Prince of life; whom God raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. 16 And by faith in his name hath his name made this man strong, whom ye behold and know: yea, the faith which is through him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. 17 And now, brethren, I know that in ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers. 18 But the things which God foreshowed by the mouth of all the prophets, that his Christ should suffer, he thus fulfilled.

Acts 4:23-28 (ASV) 23 And being let go, they came to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and the elders had said unto them. 24 And they, when they heard it, lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, O Lord, thou that didst make the heaven and the earth and the sea, and all that in them is: 25 who by the Holy Spirit, [by] the mouth of our father David thy servant, didst say, Why did the Gentiles rage, And the peoples imagine vain things? 26 The kings of the earth set themselves in array, And the rulers were gathered together, Against the Lord, and against his Anointed: 27 for of a truth in this city against thy holy Servant Jesus, whom thou didst anoint, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, were gathered together, 28 to do whatsoever thy hand and thy council foreordained to come to pass.
1 21 Read More
Quotes
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:49 AM
This is the most bitter of all persecutions, when we see wicked men, with their sacrilegious hardihood, with their blasphemies and errors, gathering strength. Thus Paul says elsewhere, that Ishmael persecuted Isaac, not by the sword, but by mockery (Galatians 4:29.) Hence also we may conclude, that in the preceding verse, it was not merely one kind of persecution that was described, but that the Apostle spoke, in general terms, of those distresses which the children of God are compelled to endure, when they contend for the glory of their Father.

~ John Calvin Commentary 2 Tim 3
0 8 Read More
Quotes
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:53 PM
This is a great reminder of the seriousness of the walk of a believer!
1 77 Read More
Open Forum
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:34 AM
Yep, and J.I. Packer's article here is most informative: Situation Ethics.

The following articles show the unanimous agreement on the issue of the Sabbath and its practice across denominational lines. They are represented by Protestant Reformed, Church of England, Southern Presbyterian and Baptist.

Remembering the Lord's Day - David J. Engelsma
Sabbath: A Day to Keep - J.C. Ryle
The Christian Sabbath: Its Nature, Design and Proper Observance - Robert L. Dabney
The Holy Sabbath - A.W. Pink

I dare say that one would be hard pressed to find a church or pastor in our day that would be in agreement, never mind actually preach and teach the doctrine as held by the true Church throughout its history, especially since the Protestant Reformation, although I would like to think that there are actually some men who hold to the Fourth Commandment as a creation ordinance and perpetually binding moral law of God which is to be observed by all, especially by those who profess to be disciples of Christ, Who gave that law along with the other nine on Mt. Sinai.
7 286 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:49 AM
John

Yes, I remember the issue itself. I also know that MacArthur is not without some of the blame However, I also know that when some of his fellow Calvinists such as Dr. Michael Horton and Dr. RC Sproul talked to him about the matter. He agreed with them and I understand he tried to clarify what he believed; hoping it would clear up the matter. Yet, despite all that it did very little good concerning his critics.
On the Lordship Salvation issue, there was no bigger supporter of MacArthur than RC Sproul.

As an aside note, I have talked to a few Calvinists over the years who maintain that Lordship Salvation is heretical. Hmm..., makes me wonder if they believe those who agree with it are heretics as well?

William Webster wrote an excellent article on Lordship Salvation, that can be found in the article section of the Highway.
https://www.the-highway.com/lordship-salvation_Webster.html

Tom
3 167 Read More
Quotes
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:54 PM
We take God's name in vain, when we make rash and unlawful vows. It is a good vow, when a man binds himself to do that which the word binds him to; as, if he is sick, he vows if God restores him, he will live a more holy life. "I will pay you my vows which my lips have uttered when I was in trouble." Psalm 66:13, 14. But "such a vow should not be made, as is displeasing to God;" as to vow voluntary poverty, as friars; or to vow to live in nunneries. Jephthah's vow was rash and unlawful; he vowed to the Lord to sacrifice that which he met with next—and it was his own daughter! Judges 11:31. He did bad to make the vow, and worse to keep it; he became guilty of the breach of the third and sixth commandments.

~ J.C. RYLE
The Ten Commandments
0 31 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:50 PM
Pilgrim
Thank you for that answer. It is basically the answer I was using all along.
I did suspect these Paedo-Baptists believe in presumptive regeneration, but they did not reveal it. They indicated however that the only reason I disagreed with them was because I am a Baptist.
Which makes it sound like they believe all Paedo-Baptists agree with them.

I am a little reluctant to take this further; mainly because I remember years ago on the Highway the big debate on the subject of presumptive regeneration. I am sure you also remember?

Tom
3 239 Read More
What's New on The Highway website?
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:27 AM
For this month, the focus is upon the necessity to know HOW TO biblically present the Gospel for the purpose of proclaiming the great truths of redemption in Christ. Typically, when speaking of the Gospel it often necessary to defend the faith (Jude 1:3). The late Greg Bahnsen who begins his short presentation with these salient words:

The very reason why Christians are put in the position of giving a reasoned account of the hope that is in them is that not all men have faith. Because there is a world to be evangelized (men who are unconverted), there is the need for the believer to defend his faith: Evangelism naturally brings one into apologetics. This indicates that apologetics is no mere matter of “intellectual jousting”; it is a serious matter of life and death - eternal life and death.

It is our desire that all who choose to read this article will not only learn something fundamental about their professed faith, e.g., the necessity of bringing the Gospel to a fallen world, but be motivated to be better grounded in the knowledge of God's inspired written word, which is the "power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes" (Rom 1:16) so that perhaps if God wills, repentance of sin and faith in the Lord Christ will result, even though it might be just a "planting" or a "watering" for the Lord might bring forth the increase (1Cor 3:7-9).

You can read this month's Article of the Month by clicking here: Evangelism and Apologetics.

OR

As always, you can visit The Highway website, scroll down the main page and click on the "Article of the Month" logo.

In His service and grace,
0 180 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:01 AM
I am no expert on either Plato or Aristotle.
However, I have over the years as a Reformed Christian, been accused of falling for Augustine's (I think they called it) Neo-Platonic views.
They tried to use the argument that Augustine was heavily influenced by Plato and that carried over to the Reformers.
My guess is this is more of the same garbage.

Tom
4 469 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:39 PM
Too many to list here, but here are 3 major heresies that have ravaged the OPC and the PCA either in the same matter or in similar matters:

1. The doctrine of creation was debated for years and finally came to a head. In a nutshell, the GA ruled that all the various views were ALL compatible with the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Larger/Shorter Catechism. Thus, it was permitted to teach Theistic Evolution, Framework Theory, 6-Dary 24-Hour Creation, etc. HOW is this possible you ask? Because of the fundamental shift within the OPC due mainly to some professors of WTS in Philadelphia, e.g., John Frame and Vern Poythress, both of whom I had as professors personally. There was a critical change in biblical hermeneutics from the Grammatico-Historico method to "Multiperspectivalism". In short, no longer was the hermeneutical principle which had been approved and used for centuries acceptable and in its place was Frame's "Multiperspectivalism" was adopted and taught. Each person will read the Bible from their own "perspective" and thus come to a different understanding and application of that understanding. And, even though these various views may be antithetical, they are nevertheless deemed true and therefore acceptable. Do you see the basic problem here? It is a denial of the doctrine of the divine inspiration of Scripture which is thus inerrant and infallible... absolute truth, or as Francis Schaeffer liked to call it, True Truth. So, the OPC ruled and adopted what they call the "Hermeneutic of Trust".

2. The Norman Shepherd controversy, which was a forerunner of the later New Perspective on Paul and Federal Vision. Norman Shepherd was teaching a salvation (justification) by faith + works, a vastly different understanding of "covenant" and a form of baptismal regeneration. He was allowed to continue teaching these damnable heresies for years before resigning due to a large outcry from the denomination's members. The faculty and Board of Directors of WTS refused/failed to bring charges against Shepherd and thus hundreds of students were infected with these heresies (by their own decision to do so), graduated and most became pastors of churches where they also taught these heresies to their respective congregations, most of whom lovingly embraced them as well because a "pastor" was teaching them.

3. The John Kinnaird controversy. Kinnaird, an OPC Elder was brought up on charges by his own session for teaching damnable heresy; Federal Vision. He appealed the charge to the Presbytery which upheld the charge. And he then appealed to the General Assembly. As is typical within Presbyterianism, a committee was charged with examining the charges and the teachings of Kinnaird. After several years (typical) the matter came to trial in the GA but a clever move was made by some of his defenders who objected to some "procedural error" and in the end, Kinnaird was found not guilty, even though the OPC had publicly stated its rejection of Federal Vision.

I have mentioned several times on this board over the years that if you want a thorough understanding of the downward move of the OPC and the PCA, although the OPC is where the main light is focused, one read Dr. Paul M. Elliott's book, Christianity and Neo-Liberalism.

Here are a couple of articles which deal with the John Kinnaird case and the failure of the OPC to exercise proper discipline when confronted with the heresies being taught by him.

Orthodox Presbyterian Church Endorses Teaching of John O. Kinnaird

The Case of John O. Kinnaird Ruling...Presbyterian Church Oxford, Pennsylvania

If you do a search for "Elliott" on The Highway homepage using the provided search box, you will find several other salient articles on these matters as well.
4 667 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 30 guests, and 122 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Zishan Ladha, Luke, Sonshine, CNAPS, Owen J. Knox
939 Registered Users
Shout Box
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
979,699 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.037s Queries: 6 (0.003s) Memory: 2.4391 MB (Peak: 2.6393 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2019-09-16 08:16:20 UTC