Donations for the month of February

We have received a total of $0 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Meta4
Meta4
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,736
Posts51,620
Members933
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,557
Tom 3,591
chestnutmare 2,936
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,776
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 11
Tom 10
Meta4 8
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Election Discussion
by Tom. Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:07 PM
Regeneration and Martin Luther
by Tom. Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:37 AM
Swearing
by Tom. Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:07 PM
Matthew 12:40
by rstrats. Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:21 AM
Evangelism
by Meta4. Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:17 PM
Second Book of Discipline
by Pilgrim. Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:08 PM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Theology Discussion Forum
Yesterday at 02:07 AM
Chestnutmare

Thank you very much, I can see why RC Sproul had John Gerstner as a mentor. He sure had a way with words, no wonder RC was such a great theologian. That section you quoted is excellent!

While we are on the subject of mentors; I would like to tell you that I consider Jeff a mentor of mine. He might consider me a bit of a pest over the years and perhaps I am guilty as charged, lol. However, a lot of what he has said over the years, has rubbed off on me. Though there have been times over the years, I have been tempted to leave The Highway; I know that if I did I would be poorer for it. I thank the Lord for the ministry of The Highway.

Thanks again
Tom
5 47 Read More
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:37 AM
Recently I was listening a recording by RC Sproul concerning how regeneration must precede faith. In the discussion that followed it however, a small debate happened concerning whether or not Martin Luther believed regeneration preceded faith. Many said it is clear that Luther believed that faith preceded regeneration.
I am not expert on Martin Luther, but it seems to me that a man such as Luther who spoke so stongely about "the bondage of the will", would believe that regeneration must precede faith.
Does anyone know anything about Luther and his view on the matter?

Thanks
Tom
0 36 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:07 PM
I thought some who have read this thread, would like to know that this past week I wrote a short article for all my Face book friends to see using some of the Scripture verses that were provided in this thread.
As a result, I got many people thanking me for doing so, because they did not like some of the things that they were seeing from professing Christians. However, I got one person who claims to be a Christian unfriend me as a dirrect result of it and although I found it a bit sad, I am ok with it.
One other person told me that although they don't like what some people put on Face book, never the less, they believe I was wrong to say what I did; because they believe in voicing my feeling publicly I came off as "holier than thou."
Another person, thought I should not have made this public, because they think it should always be done privately. However, I made it very clear in what I wrote, that I was not pointing fingers, or naming names. I had already contacted a few people privately with no effect.

Thanks for your input.

Tom
3 680 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:21 PM
Meta4,
re: "Why don't you open up, and tell us where you stand, and exactly what your purpose and reasoning is in asking this question? "

My stance/position is that if someone asserts that it was common in the 1st century or before to forecast or say that a daytime or a night would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur, then that person would have to know of examples in order to legitimately make the assertion of commonality. That is this topic's only issue. And I'm simply curious if it was indeed common usage of the time.

BTW, you have a couple of questions directed to you in post #55417.
67 93,471 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Originally Posted by Meta4
Though I haven't yet had time to read through the three .pdf files in your .zip file, I did do a search on them, and "evangelist" does not appear, apart from one time in a footnote in the first file.

Let me see if I can get the section on the office of "Evangelist" scanned in and uploaded for you. grin

Thanks, but don't go out of your way. Perhaps a link to an Internet resource would be sufficient; or I can try searching it out myself.
11 749 Read More
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:08 PM
[Linked Image]

1. Why is it important to know the answer to this? Put another way, what implications does DeYoung believe flow out of this which are beneficial?
2. Are you aware that Kevin DeYoung is part of "The Gospel Coalition"?
3. Here is a possible interesting thread concerning C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity and a review by Kevin DeYoung HERE.

I am NOT suggesting that anything/everything written or spoken by Kevin DeYoung is automatically spurious. nono But what I am trying to convey is that due to DeYoung's well-known association with and sharing of many, if not most of the views held by those in The Gospel Coalition and New Calvinist movement, he is not someone who should be naively believed and/or trusted. Discernment is the key world here. wink
1 255 Read More
What's New on The Highway website?
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:18 PM
This month's Article of the Month deals with something which is most assuredly controversial and hotly debated. Unfortunately, the topic isn't just one which is found only in politics but also in many churches and denominations. It is something which effects everyone, both children and adults. The question is, on what side of the debate do you find yourself? How about your own local church or denomination? What is that topic which is in the forefront and is growing in strength? Gender Identity and all the ramifications it affects in one's daily life.

Read Dr. Paul Elliott's short, and to the point article here: By Whose Authority Do You Identify as Male or Female?.

Or for later reading, you can always head over to The Highway website and click on the "Article of the Month" logo which also has all the past articles listed as well.

In His service and grace,
0 188 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:37 PM
This is mainly, but not exclusively, due to the influence of the Feminist movement over so much of society. Women most always get preferential treatment when it comes to social assistance, divorce/custody, physical and mental harassment, job applications, etc., etc. And PLEASE, I really don't want to be verbally assaulted by someone who knows some exception to this general truth and give some personal example where a woman was treated unfairly. The government statistics are undeniable that women (and children) are given far more empathy and preferential treatment then men in the U.S. and most of western society.
1 323 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:24 AM
Steve Camp vs James White
I am sure many of you have heard about the controversy that was caused by a former friend and frequent guest of James White’s attack against him, Steve Camp.
It was basically about James White and his dialogue with a Muslim Imam in which James White clearly did not compromise the Gospel. Yet if you listen to Steve Camp and others such as a ministry called RAM who have jumped on the band wagon; you would think James White compromised the Gospel. Years ago, I was actually a fan of Steve Camp, but the tone of how he lambastes White, I hardly recognised him as the same person.
Unfortunately, now people whom I thought would agree with James White on this issue, have now stated that Steve Camp and other critics of James White are correct.
I have now watched a video by Steve Camp on the matter and found it shocking. I then watched James White deal with these shocking allegations by Camp and others, and what I noticed fairly clearly is much of the criticism has to do with context. In other words, James White would say something in a certain context and Camp and others would take him out of context to prove their point.
James White has tried to clarify these things quite a few times now, but found it to be a waste of time.
Here is one link to the controversy; for those who are interested.
https://www.aomin.org/aoblog/2017/07/14/full-response-steve-camps-shocking-diatribe/

Tom
0 190 Read More
Quotes
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:20 PM
In that place then he did beat down the Galatians, because they exalted themselves, and did as it were set up their bristles [show fight] against God, through their lustiness.

And now he reacheth them his hand, and lifteth them up again, and telleth them that after they have once felt and perceived their faults, they must not yet for all that think themselves utterly shut out from God, and from all hope of salvation. But this cannot be done except we have a carefulness to draw sinners to salvation. For many men will be vehement enough, and they shall have just cause so to do: but yet in the meanwhile their rigorousness will be so excessive, as it shall shut up men’s hearts, and make them take such stomach against the bitterness that is used towards them, that they shall cast themselves utterly out of order, yea and conceive a hatred against God and his word.

Howbeit, they that are so oversharp will say they have just cause. Yea, but yet for all that, they which rebuke sin in the name of God, must always have a care and desire to bring those to salvation, which were in the highway to destruction. When they be so minded, no doubt but they will labor to win such as were out of the right way, and to make them perceive that they seek their welfare, and that although their rebukings be grievous, yet they fail not to be for their behoove [advantage].

~ John Calvin (Sermon on Galatians 4:11-14)
0 145 Read More
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:20 AM
I might have the e-mail addresses of both Calvin and/or Luther if you are interested? Then you could ask them personally about their thoughts on the canonicity of Esther. giggle
1 401 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 142 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AlexM, Ronald Bargebo, mottley, SnydersSoapbox, Susan
933 Registered Users
Shout Box
February
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
899,434 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.036s Queries: 6 (0.002s) Memory: 2.4367 MB (Peak: 2.6345 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2019-02-23 02:42:18 UTC