Donations for the month of July

We have received a total of $0 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,650
Posts51,257
Members928
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,462
Tom 3,479
chestnutmare 2,916
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,762
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 33
Pilgrim 32
John_C 5
Johan 1
Recent Posts
Apologetics
by Tom. Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:32 AM
Starting Out
by Pilgrim. Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:15 PM
Conspiracy?
by ReformedDisciple. Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:32 AM
AN EARNEST PLEA TO SUPPORT THE HIGHWAY
by Movinforward86. Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:40 PM
Question about sermons
by Movinforward86. Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:35 PM
David and Bathsheba question
by Pilgrim. Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:46 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Theology Discussion Forum
Yesterday at 03:32 PM
ReformedDisciple
The reason I post that was it brought back memories from when I was struggling with this issue.
When I used that arguement against a Charismatic, I thought it might be helpful to show the kind of response you can expect.
I only wish I could remember how to answer them.
Tom
10 336 Read More
Open Forum
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:15 AM
PCA = Presbyterian Church of America (see here: The PCA's Apostasy: No More Lines in the Sand by Dr. Paul Elliott. And, The PCA's Slide Into the Homosexual Abyss Accelerates

OPC = Orthodox Presbyterian Church
7 251 Read More
Church Locator
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 PM
Looking for a good reformed, even reformed Baptist church. I've never been to one and don't want to stumble into the wrong one as my time right now in my life is very limited. Does anyone know offhand? Anyone here in Dallas and attending one?
0 19 Read More
Church Locator
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:06 PM
Apologia Church just planted and Church there! They are a very involved church doing TONS of evangelizing and witnessing esp. to the cults and street preaching. They are most definitely reformed and is a church I would highly recommend. Hope this helps!
2 5,501 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:32 PM
Alrighty! Thanks for the info bravo
13 603 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:40 PM
I certainly will as soon as I am able. This post is inspirational at the least!
2 7,848 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:35 PM
Originally Posted by Johan
Good day!

He then said that this downward spiral is a call for the Messiah to come. ...My question is whether, in this specific case, it is really valid to make such a link....But, as I said, is such a connection really "valid"?

Johan

IMO: I would view it in distaste ONLY because it is an example of and can lead to others (those unfamiliar with, or babes in, Christ) to overreach when trying to relate one part of the Bible with another, when in actuality they are irrelevant, one to the other. This leads to irrational, illogical sounding Christians and may, in some cases, lead to teaching false doctrine/gospel.

I know this sounds extreme, but play the tape all the way out. I've argued with professing believers before that made connections which made absolutely no sense. Sometimes due to lack of knowledge of appropriate history. But often I find it's something they heard a pastor somewhere say, and then deduced a new conclusion altogether.

Correct me if anything I've asserted here is incorrect.

Stay Humble!
1 190 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tom
Here is a question related to David and Bathsheba.
The text is quite clear that David used his authority as king to fulfill his lust. Thinking further however, is there any indication from the text itself that Bathsheba was an innocent victim in the matter?
As I read the text, unless I missed it I see no indication that she resisted his advances. However, some say when Nathan confronted David he likened Bathesheba to a Ewe lamb to the slaughter. They go on to say, in Nathan’s story, both Bathsheba and her husband were depicted as completely innocent while David alone was “the man”. (2 Sam. 12:1-4)

I agree with you that there is no evidence that Bathsheba was an "innocent" party to adultery. She was an adult and a married woman too. Therefore, she was certainly culpable knowing full well that even David's advances, which doubtless took place over a period of time, were immoral and a sin. Nothing is mentioned that David raped her, nor that she resisted.

2 Samuel 12:1-4 (ASV) And Jehovah sent Nathan unto David. And he came unto him, and said unto him, There were two men in one city; the one rich, and the other poor. The rich man had exceeding many flocks and herds; but the poor man had nothing, save one little ewe lamb, which he had bought and nourished up: and it grew up together with him, and with his children; it did eat of his own morsel, and drank of his own cup, and lay in his bosom, and was unto him as a daughter. And there came a traveller unto the rich man, and he spared to take of his own flock and of his own herd, to dress for the wayfaring man that was come unto him, but took the poor man's lamb, and dressed it for the man that was come to him.

The point of this passage has nothing to do with the "innocency" of either the owner of the flock nor the ewe lamb. To say otherwise is nothing more than pretext gained from eisogesis. The Spirit of God, who authored that text intended to illustrate the guilt of the David; the rich man in taking a treasured possession (Bathsheba) of the poor man (Uriah) having used his power to do so. The only "innocent" party in the actual situation could be Uriah, assuming that he was not privy to Bathsheba's adulterous relationship with David, whom he had great respect, trust and loyalty.
1 118 Read More
Open Forum
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tom

Thought I would give an example of the typical response I get from Christians when I share links like this.

"He is too deep!
Its our testimony that witnesses , whether or not we see it or not , this is our job , the rest is Gods ,we plant seeds , I do not believe in debating.as i have said to ppl , I have the truth and the truth has set me free. and they can have the same thing , I do believe the way you live your ( walk in the Lord draws )

1. One's "testimony" is NOT the Gospel. This practice of giving an alleged "personal testimony" as a means of evangelism is ingrained in many (most?) churches and has been for decades. It is not something one will find in Scripture. Paul's testimony was given before those to whom needed to be convinced of Paul's sincerity and divine credentials as well as his doctrine, which he had to set forth for approval before those of the Jerusalem Council.

2. Experience is NOT a standard of truth. The Bible IS the standard of truth, being the only divinely inspired source and ultimate authority in all matters of faith and practice. Making experience any sort of representation of truth is a flat denial of objective, propositional, absolute truth, which Francis Schaeffer liked to call "True Truth". People do not need to hear about YOU and YOUR experience, but rather they need to hear/read about GOD and HIS truth, e.g., A Gospel Summary.

3. Apologetics is simply a defense of the faith (once delivered unto the saints) which is certainly something the Bible encourages all true believers to engage in as they are given the ability to do so, and it is a requirement for any man who seeks the office of elder (Titus 1:9). Ignorance of biblical truth is nothing to boast about and contrary to what a true disciple of Christ is (Jh 8:31,32, 17:17; Col 1:9,10,23).
5 169 Read More
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (ReformedDisciple), 25 guests, and 95 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Movinforward86, Micki Bowman, Nigel J, wischnotes, Dutch Michael
928 Registered Users
Shout Box
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
778,262 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.036s Queries: 6 (0.003s) Memory: 2.4213 MB (Peak: 2.6208 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-07-16 14:26:57 UTC