Yes, I did "speak in tongues," believing that God was providing the language. But I never understood a word of it, nor did anyone else who ever heard me speak in tongues.

This was supposed to be my "prayer language," not meant for anyone but God to hear. That is how most Pentecostals and Charismatics view tongues - not as a sign gift at all, but as "prayer language," or as some call it, "ecstatic speech."

I don't believe that those who do this are engaging in anything necessarily demonic (with exceptions - Mormons and Voodoo priests also speak in tongues, more probably demonic). I think it is sincere (but mistaken) and harmless babble.

In every Bible example of tongues speaking, it was a discernible, earthly language. It was a covenant sign to unbelievers - specifically, unbelieving Jews of a single generation.

The misapplied portion of 1st Corinthians 14 can be twisted to justify "praying in the spirit" (prayer language), but the Apostle was arguing for edification, not confusion; for revelation, not mystery.