I understand what you are saying.
However, somehow I believe he is using the words “calling” and “illumination” in the same way as we would use “regeneration”, not the same way “prevenient grace” is used.

As you correctly said 'illumination' means giving understanding of spiritual things. It takes a lot more than just being given spiritual understanding of spiritual things to overcome our depravity.
It would appear that he is saying that "illumination" and "calling" which he says is irresistible is what draws (he actually used the term “drag” in one e-mail) someone to Christ.
Reading between the lines I would say he believes these accomplish the same things as we believe regeneration accomplishes. Yet if my understanding of him is correct; my question would be why would regeneration be needed? (Does that question make sense?)
This is of course redefining terms, but at this point he indicates that he believes this is what Scripture teaches; he could care less what others teach. (I think this is a dangerous thing to believe; it seems to smack of Sectarianism.)

Hopefully if he answers my last e-mail, I will find out for sure.

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:00 PM.