Originally Posted By: Hitch
'Returning' implies a bodily presence a return to things as they were previously. Christ left the earth in the same body that came from the tomb, 'coming' on the other hand may or may not be a return. Christ can certainly 'come' in the sense of orchestrating the destruction of Egypt or Jerusalem. Im sure we agree the First Advent was not the fist time Christ had 'come ' to earth , but that it was different in nature than previous comings. Is there any reason to believe He would not continue be active in history , without coming in a visible way? I dont think there is, just as I dont think any invisible coming negates His eventual bodily return.

Methinks this is nothing less than symantec gymnastics. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted By: Hitch
62And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?

63But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.

64Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

For anyone who believes and coming in the clouds of heaven in this passage refers to the second Advent, the bodily visible return, Id like to know how you literalize that portion but deliteralize this part ye see the Son. How is this accomplished without splitting that sentence in half? No I dont think its proper here to generalize the you (ye), its no accident that Christ is directly set as opposite the High Priest.
I reckon its far more likely Jesus is speaking about the judgment coming in a few decades, not an event at least 2,000 years future, and that the High Priest or at least some of his contemporaries will witness the destruction. Doesnt Jesus quote 'this generation shall not pass' apply here?

For me, Hendriksen states the biblical case most succinctly and accurately in regard to Matt 26:64:

That is the way in which Daniel had seen the coming Redeemer (Dan 7:13,14). It was thus that David sang of him (Ps 110:1), and thus also that Jesus had himself described himself (see on Matt 16:27; 22:41-46; 24:30), be it previously only to his disciples. Jesus is looking down history's lane. He sees the miracles of Calvary, the resurrection, the ascension, the coronation at the Father's right hand ("the right hand of the Power," that is, "of the Almighty"), Pentecost, the glorious return on the clouds of heaven, the judgment day, all rolled into one, manifesting his power and glory. On the final day of judgment he, even Jesus, will be the Judge, and these very men-Caiaphas and his partners-will have to answer for the crime they are now committing. Christ's prophecy is also a warning!

simul iustus et peccator