Originally Posted By: Hitch
'Returning' implies a bodily presence a return to things as they were previously. Christ left the earth in the same body that came from the tomb, 'coming' on the other hand may or may not be a return. Christ can certainly 'come' in the sense of orchestrating the destruction of Egypt or Jerusalem. Im sure we agree the First Advent was not the fist time Christ had 'come ' to earth , but that it was different in nature than previous comings. Is there any reason to believe He would not continue be active in history , without coming in a visible way? I dont think there is, just as I dont think any invisible coming negates His eventual bodily return.

Methinks this is nothing less than symantec gymnastics. :rolleyes:
Quote:
Well thats an interesting insight given your alteration of Rev 1;1-3.

Anyway Im glad to stand here next to Drs Boettner and Gentry. I wonder whether you have read either one on this particular subject?

My source is chapter IX The Mellinnium , L Boettner pgs 248-262 (on 252 look under the heading Various Ways In Which Christ Comes)

And Gentry's He shall Have Dominion , pgs 271-275

[quote]
Consummation 273

We know that the disciples (and other believers) are with the Lord in heaven after their deaths (Phil. 1:21-23; 2 Cor. 5:6-9). Hence, this statement must mean He comes to them at their deaths. Though Stephen’s death is unique in Scripture, it may indicate something of Christ’s personal involvement in the deaths of all His saints (Acts 7:59). Are we left to find our way to heaven? Or does Christ personally receive His own into the presence of the Father? After all, Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me” (John 14:6). He comes into the presence of the Father at His ascension, in order to receive His kingdom. “I was watching in the night visions, and behold, One like the Son of Man, coming with the clouds of heaven! He came to the Ancient of Days, and they brought Him near before Him” (Dan. 7:13). He leaves the world so that He may “come” to the Father: “Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. . . . Now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world” (John 17:11, 13a).7 Beyond these spiritual comings and in addition to the bodily second advent, there is another sort of coming. This is a providential coming of Christ in historical judgments upon men. In the Old Testament, clouds are frequently employed as symbols of divine wrath and judgment. Often God is seen surrounded with foreboding clouds which express His unapproachable holiness and righteousness.8 Thus, God is poetically portrayed in certain judgment scenes as coming in the clouds to wreak historical vengeance upon His enemies. For example: “The burden against Egypt. Behold, the LORD rides on a swift cloud, and will come into Egypt; the idols of Egypt will totter at His presence, and the heart of Egypt will melt in its midst” (Isa. 19:1 ).9

Sorry Im not able to cut&paste from Boettner's book.

Edited by Hitch (Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:31 PM)