Almighty. To believe in God Almighty, is to believe in such a God :

1. Who is able to accomplish whatever he wills, yea even those things which he does not will, if they are not contrary to his nature, as he might have delivered Christ from death, but he would not. 2. Who can accomplish all things by his simple command, and without any difficulty. 8.

Who alone has power to do all things, and is the dispenser of that power which is in all his creatures. 4. Who is also almighty for my benefit, and can and will direct and make all things subservient to my salvation.

Obj. God cannot lie, die, or undo that which is once done. Therefore, he cannot do all things. Ans. He can do all things which are indicative of power. But to lie, to die, &c., is no sign of power, but of infirmity or want of power. But defects are in creatures, not in God. Therefore, they are contrary to the nature of God. Hence, by inverting the order of reasoning, we thus conclude, God is not able to do or will those things which are indicative of weakness, and contrary to his nature ; therefore, he is almighty.

Maker of Heaven and Earth. To believe in the Creator, is to believe :

1. That he is the Creator of all things.

2. That he sustains and governs by his providence all things which he has created.

3. That he has also created me, and made me a vessel of his mercy, that I should obtain salvation in Christ ; and that he, by his special providence and grace, will lead me to that salvation which he confers upon his people.

4. That he has created all other things for us, that they may contribute to the salvation of the church, to the praise of his glory. In short, to believe in the Creator , is to believe that God created me that I might contribute to his glory, and that he created all other things that they might be subservient to my salvation. “All things are yours, and ye are Christ's, and Christ is God's,” as if he should say all things are created for us, and we for God. (1 Cor. 3 : 22, 23.)

Of the Creation of the World

The doctrine which treats of the works of God is properly placed next in order after the doctrine concerning God, which is also the arrangement in the creed. There are five general works of God:

1. The work of creation , of which we have an account in the book of Genesis, where we are informed that it was accomplished in six days.

2. The work of preservation, by which God sustains heaven and earth, and all things which he has created, so that they do not fall into ruin.

3. The work of government, whereby, through his great wisdom, he directs and governs all things in the world.

4. The work of restitution, by which he repairs, in Christ, all things which are subject to corruption, by reason of the sin of man.

5. The work of perfection, or completing, in which he brings all things to their appointed end but especially does he perfectly deliver and glorify his church. We shall now speak of the work of creation, or of the creation of the world, in reference to which we must enquire :

Did God create the world?

How did he create it ?

Wherefore, or for what end, did he create it?