III. Whether deliverance be necessary and certain

Although God was not under the least obligation to deliver man from the misery of sin, but was free to have all men in death, and save none for "Who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again," (Rom. 11:35); yet it may correctly be said, that man's deliverance was and is necessary, understanding by this term not an absolute, but a conditional necessity, as it is called. This is proven:

1. Because God has most freely and unchangeably decreed and provided it; and it is impossible that he should lie, or be deceived. "As I live, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that," &c. (Ez. 18:23.)

2. Because God desires to be praised and glorified forever by man. "He hath made us to the praise of the glory of his grace." "Wherefore hast thou made all men in vain." (Eph. 1:6. Ps. 89:47.)

3. Because God did not in vain send his Son into the world, neither did Christ die in vain. "I came down from heaven; not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the Father's will, which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me, I should lose nothing," &c. "I came to call sinners to repentance." "Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification." "If righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (John 6:38-39. Matt. 9:13. Rom. 4:25. Gal. 2:21.)

4. Because God is more inclined to mercy than to wrath. But in the punishment of the wicked his wrath is manifested; much more, therefore, will he manifest his mercy in the salvation of the righteous.