“Then the king went to his palace and passed the night fasting, neither were instruments of music or dancing girls brought before him; and his sleep fled from him. Then the king arose very early in the morning and went in haste to the den of lions. And when he came to the den and to Daniel, he cried out in a voice of anguish. The king said to Daniel, O Daniel, servant of the living God, is your God, Whom you serve continually, able to deliver you from the lions? Then Daniel said to the king, O king, live forever! My God has sent His angel and has shut the lions’ mouths so that they have not hurt me, because I was found innocent and blameless before Him; and also before you, O king, [as you very well know] I have done no harm or wrong.” (Dan. 6:18-22)

“The description of Darius’ sleepless night and his anguished cry to Daniel is moving; not least because it reminds us that our own stand upon assured faith has sometimes seemed to be swamped by an overwhelming flood of utterly unreasonable fears. For if the enemy can not prevent us taking our stand in faith, he will assail us in every possible way, especially as we near the climactic test, and apply such shock treatment of panic-stricken fears and desperate doubts as may almost bowl us over.

This is exactly poor Darius’ condition as he went to the den. He believed that Daniel’s God could, and possibly would, keep him safe; but if he didn’t, the death of this good man to whom the kingdom owed so much would be at his door. And the prophet spoke, and all the king’s fears were proved liars.

Daniel’s God had kept him. Faith was honoured, and once more the world was proved to stand on moral foundations. Wickedness could not triumph over good. What joy to know God is in heaven, ruling and overruling human affairs and turning all to his glory.”

Still, William (2006) “Through The Year With William Still” May 21, The Banner of Truth Trust and Rutherford House,pg.158-159.

Jesus! what a Friend for sinners!
Jesus! Lover of my soul;
Friends may fail me, foes assail me,
He, my Saviour, makes me whole.

Hallelujah! what a Saviour!
Hallelujah, what a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end.

Jesus! what a strength in weakness!
Let me hide myself in him;
Tempted, tried, and sometimes failing,
He, my strength, my vict'ry wins.