“I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.” Isaiah xliii. 25.
“For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” Jeremiah xxxi. 34.
“For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.” Hebrews viii. 12.
“And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.” Hebrews x. 17.

You see these texts are all alike in their declaration that the Lord will not remember his people’s sins. I have taken four of them to make the basis of my sermon firm as adamant. It is written, “In the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established.” Here then, you have Isaiah and Jeremiah, two Old Testament saints affirming the same thing: is not this enough? Added to these you have the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews, who, in all probability, was Paul, and these three agree in one. Their united testimony is that Jehovah, the Lord God, will forgive the sins of his people, and do it in so complete a way that he will remember their iniquities no more. Now, if I did not preach at all, but merely gave you these four texts to consider, I think the service ought to be full of comfort to all who know their guiltiness and are anxious to obtain mercy.

That article in the creed is too little thought of—“I believe in the forgiveness of sin.” Men flippantly declare that they believe it when they are not conscious of any great sin of their own; but when his transgression is made apparent to a man, and his iniquity comes home to him, it is quite another matter. Does any unregenerate person believe in the forgiveness of sin? I trow not. No man in sincerity believes it until God the Holy Ghost has taught him its truth, and has written it upon his heart. No revealed truth is more generally doubted and disbelieved than this, the plainest of all revelations, that the Lord is gracious and full of compassion, and ready to pass by the iniquities of his people. Men disbelieve for themselves, and doubt it as to others when the matter is fairly tested.

This is a sermon by C.H. Spurgeon that I found to be quite helpful regarding what some consider difficult texts in Scripture.

The full sermon can be read by clicking the link below.

God's Non-Remembrance of Sin

The Chestnut Mare