Remaining independent would not necessarily be a bad thing, as long as the church remains confessional in doctrine and practice (whether WCF, or Belgic Confession, etc).

I have always wondered why churches "import" strangers from other cities to shepherd the flock instead of raising up their own elders from within, and training them up instead of sending them off to be trained by strangers, being taught who knows what, and sent home with "new" doctrines and practice.

I'm not sure whether my own church's membership in the same denomination as some of the most notable heretics in modern times is actually helpful or harmful! Members in good standing include Joel Osteen, Pat Robertson, that "Purpose Drivel" guy, and lots of other famous Southern Baptists who obscure the gospel behind prosperity teaching and hocus pocus that makes them rich and famous.

I dunno, maybe we can help "from within," but I wonder if our contributions to the Cooperative Fund are really the best use of the Lord's money, though I am very positively impressed with my state association, the Florida Baptist Convention.

Robin