I wanted to add some clarification to my previous reply so that my view is clear. Let me do that by first quoting R.C. Sproul, Sr. (assumed since it is on the Ligonier Ministries website HERE )

The church has a rich tradition, and we respect the church fathers and even our creed. However, we grant the possibility that they may err at various points; we don’t believe in the infallibility of the church. I will say that there are some Protestants who believe that there was a special work of divine providence and a special work of the Holy Spirit that protected the Canon and the sorting process from mistakes. I don’t hold that position myself. I think it’s possible that wrong books could have been selected, but I don’t believe for a minute that that’s the case. I think that the task the church faced and did was remarkably well done and that we have every book that should be in the New Testament. [emphasis mine]
I am one of those who believe that God, by His providence guided the assembly of the Canon, which is not to be confused with inspiration, i.e., the individuals who were involved in the process were not infallibly guided by the Spirit in the same manner as were the writers of Scripture (cf. 2Pet 1:21). Thus the end result was without error. However, Dr. Sproul rejects that view and opts for something which is rather puzzling and even disturbing. If "wrong books could have been selected" then on what basis does he have for not believing that was the case? Does he ground his view on fallible men's examination of the manuscripts which most know vary from each other? Does he put his trust in those who made the selection, which he already admitted were not infallible and not providentially guided to make the selection? Does he base his view on Church tradition, which is sometimes a good and right thing to do and sometimes not (cf. Tradition: Romish and Protestant). If God did not personally attend to the process of choosing what books were to be included and deemed HIS perfect will revealed for His people to embrace with an unfeigned mind, heart and soul, then there can be no confidence that what we know as the Bible consisting of 66 books is the inspired, infallible written Word of God.

I hope this makes clear my view which is also held by others and why I cannot accept Dr. Sproul's view which is also held by others. grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]