Originally Posted by Robin
The Baptist hermeneutic is a little different from the rest of the Reformed family.
yep

The Westminster Confession describes the counsel of God as being "either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture (WCF 1.6)," emphasis mine.

The London Baptist Confession describes it as "either expressly set down or necessarily contained in Scripture." In short, Reformed Baptists don't "deduce."
Methinks you are creating a false contrast. When I read those two sections of the two confessions I see them basically saying the same thing. Deduction is a most necessary part of understanding Scripture, "let us reason together". Do you think you can formulate the doctrine of the Trinity without deduction? There is no propositional statement for the Trinity that I have found. grin

Certainly there is continuity between the Testaments, as they are both about Christ. But the New applies in many more ways than just to one geopolitical nation or race. It applies to citizens of a different Kingdom, gathered from all earthly kingdoms. One is temporal type-and-shadow, the other eternal reality.
I agree! The NEW is the continuation of the OLD and its fuller expression of it. The Old has 'types', the New has the "anti-type". That is the sense of the "NEW" vs. something radically different than what is in the "OLD". Augustine had it right, "The New is in the Old contained. The Old is in the New explained."

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]