My basic understanding of Christian Zionism is it's the belief that God's Old Covenant people never fully possessed their land as promised in the Abrahamic Covenant, therefore, 1948 was the beginning of the complete fulfillment. Because of this, a Dispensationalist is at his very core a Zionist who cannot look at the Middle East turmoil with a balanced and fair perspective. The Christian Zionist views Israel's right to Statehood in Palestine as prophesied and unstoppable, therefore it is the Christian's duty to support it under all circumstances, regardless. But, it is a US Ally so I am not against us treating them as an Ally in a geo-political sense. The Christ rejecting people calling themselves the modern State of "Israel" are there because of God's decree for sure, but I see no biblical reason to think it is fulfillment of prophecy. I have problems even thinking they are truly Israel considering the following:

"Yet God forbid that I should boast about anything or anybody except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, which means that the world is a dead thing to me and I am a dead man to the world. But in Christ it is not circumcision or uncircumcision that counts but the power of new birth. To all who live by this principle, to the true Israel of God, may there be peace and mercy!" Galatians 6:14-16 Phillips NT

also

"For he is not a real Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. He is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart, spiritual and not literal. His praise is not from men but from God." (Rom 2:28-29 RSV)

I like how the Puritan John Trapp spoke of the Abrahamic Covenant on Gen. 15:28 -
"This was fulfilled in Solomonís, and especially in Christís kingdom."

Ned