Gee Tom, from reading your reply it sounds like you subscribe to EC (Ecclessiastical Correctness). scratchchin I would certainly agree that it is inappropriate to go out of one's way to be deliberately offensive, for to do so reveals that one's motive is not to convince but to attack those who oppose you. You should also take into account that "offensive" is one of those nebulous terms which is as difficult to define as it is to attempt to nail Jello to a wall. Most people define "offensive" subjectively, thus ANYTHING can be deemed offensive according to the individual that is not in agreement with whatever the subject or word(s) used to communicate. If something is "completely obvious" to someone but not so to another, why is that offensive? Would you say that the LORD Christ often spoke in an offensive manner and is thus guilty of sin for being insensitive, rude, caustic, etc.? [b]I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no one comes to the Father but by ME." (Jh 14:6). Or "And Jesus answering them said, Have ye not read so much as this, what David did, when himself was an hungred, and they which were with him;" (Lk 6:3). Or, "Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou the teacher of Israel, and understandest not these things?" (Jh 3:10). I could give dozens of similar examples from the words of Christ and even more from the writings of the other NT writers where it could be easily said that they all were "offensive" to those who did not agree with them.

Have you ever read some of the works of the Reformers where a fundamental doctrine was being presented and defended against their opponents, e.g., Calvin's Calvinism? Luther was known for his less than gentile manner when addressing his detractors... etc. Admittedly, those men who fought to establish the truth once delivered to the saints which had been all but lost for centuries could be said to have been "offensive" in their speech and writings by today's standards of PC and EC. And, admittedly, they were not without sin but simply men who were redeemed by the blood of Christ and given an extra unction of the Spirit as soldiers of God; simul iustus et peccator. But as I pointed out above, the divinely inspired written Word of God does record many examples where the LORD Christ and His inspired Apostles spoke and wrote things which could easily be classified as "offensive". Using definitive terms such as "must", "will", "none/no one", "cannot", "only", etc. are going to be offensive to someone. In fact, what Scripture says as a whole is most assuredly (<--- offensive phrase) offensive to those outside of Christ unless they are given ears to hear, yes?

Lastly, I'll leave you with the uninspired words of Martin Luther which are doubtless offensive...... giggle

"I am not permitted to let my love be so merciful as to tolerate and endure false doctrine. When faith and doctrine are concerned and endangered, neither love nor patience are in order.... when these are concerned, neither toleration nor mercy are in order, but only anger, dispute, and destruction - to be sure, only with the Word of God as our weapon." - Martin Luther

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]