Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Originally Posted by PerpetualLearner
I hesitate to use non-biblical words when discussing words and doctrines of Scripture and I do not see "missionary" of today equivalent to the biblical "evangelist".
Sorry, but I couldn't let this statement go unquestioned. grin
What do you do with the doctrine/word "Trinity" which does not appear in Scripture? Neither does the word "alone" appear in regard to "justification by faith"? And, there could be other examples added where a modern theological term isn't found specifically in Scripture but the doctrine represented by the term is most certainly found in Scripture.

Oh yes... one other small exegetical item. Where does it say that the "70" appointed by Jesus vs. the "gifts" given by the Spirit were in fact the "Evangelists" mentioned in Eph 4:11? scratchchin

The question about the Trinity is what I get back when I challenge others on their "rapture", which word is not in Scripture. smile The Scriptures clearly teach that God is One. The Scriptures also teach that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are likewise God. So we are forced by logic to recognize that and in defense of this teaching of Scripture, I suppose we'd say a 'title' was assigned to it. Now, I have no problem with that because I can read from Merriam-Webster a definition of trinity "a group of three closely related persons or things" or as the 1913 Websters gives "2. Any union of three in one; three units treated as one; a triad, as the Hindu trinity, or Trimurti." If the word's definition, matches the doctrine or concept clearly stated in Scripture, I see it is suitable to use a word not found in the Scriptures. It is my understanding that the reason for the Ecumenical Creeds was to protect the faith from heretics who denied the Bible doctrines.

The word "alone" that Luther put into Romans 3:28 is merely a matter of his using a dynamic equivalence approach to the verse. I don't see it so far from a couple of modern versions.

Literal word for word translation of Rom. 3:28
"For we reckon a man a man to be justified by faith without works of law."

Luther's German of Rom. 3:28 -
"So halten wir nun dafür, daß der Mensch gerecht werde ohne des Gesetzes Werke, allein durch den Glauben."
google translates that into English thus:
"Thus we hold that man should become righteous without the law, by faith alone."

"For we hold that a man is justified and made upright by faith independent of and distinctly apart from good deeds (works of the Law). [The observance of the Law has nothing to do with justification.]" (Rom. 3:28 1987 Amplified Bible"

"For we conclude that a person is put right with God only through faith, and not by doing what the Law commands." (Rom. 3:28 Good News Translation)

When I wrote "I see those who receive the preachers or evangelists..." I suppose I should have written it "I see those who receive the preachers (or evangelists?)..." What went through my mind was, since Jesus appointed them for the job of preaching the gospel of the kingdom and apparently gave them the gift of healing, and it was temporary and I don't think we hear of them again, would they qualify as New Testament evangelists, the gift of the office? Or, would they be like Elders, doing the work of an evangelist? You sure are working me hard! But it's good for me! laugh

Ned