Hi
As some of you might be aware I try to be serious about sharing my faith with those I am around; especially those who I am around the most. I have been getting quite a few chances to proclaim the Gospel on my own time with a few people from work. There are a lot of positive discussions going on.
Enter (name omitted), he is a very passionate individual who says he is a Christian and often sends me articles about his passion. Which is basically the left wing and communist agenda against Christianity, as well as how the New Age movement in its various forms are permeating society. Some of this material is pretty good and some not so good.
Along the way, I have always tried to steer the conversation towards the Lord; the Gospel and His Church. I actually gave him a really good Gospel presentation pamphlet written by Pilgrim on the necessary ingredients of a Gospel presentation. He read it, and seemed to agree, but because of his vagueness I have my doubts about what he actually believes. He is very clear about his dislike of the homosexual agenda, The New Age Movement, and a few other related issues. But not so much on what it is he actually believes concerning the Gospel.
We had an e-mail conversation recently concerning a comment that he made that made me want to understand where he was coming from. His comment was that he “dislikes organized religion”, because where they should be coming together to fight against the devil, they separate and cause division.
As I was thinking about this, I thought of ways I could respectfully try to get the discussion towards the Lord and His Church. I decided one way to do this is to use as much Scripture as possible and use his passion against the New Age movement, to try to show him that unity is based on a common belief in the essentials of Scripture and therefore if they were to unite before those differences were solved. Like Gal. 5:9 says “A little yeast leavens the whole lump of dough.” I explained how this is not a good thing either. I then asked him in light of his comment about not liking “organized religion” as a Christian can he help me understand where he is coming from.
His response was
“Pretty simple, I don't believe in organized religion for the very same way you have discussed other Christian groups.
They are influenced by many leaderships that corrupt the Gospel....I have a very simple way of looking at Christianity. I don't get caught up in latest Church trends that seem to be changing Christians thinking. (On purpose)”
I thought his response was a little too vague, so I asked to expand on his answer by considering the Scripture verses I gave him. Mainly, because in his vagueness I am having a hard time understanding where he is coming from.
His response came back:
“Lol...so your try to dissect me or trying to say Im not a Christian.....I did realize that I under the microscope. ...lol”
I told him that I never even entered into questioning whether he was a Christian or not. (admittedly I have my doubts). I told him I am trying to understand where he is coming from.
His last response was the following. ’
What does it matter how I think? It doesn’t matter to me how you think? You believe in Christ and I’m ok with that. There many things you say I don’t agree with. But I don’t hold that against you as you shouldn’t either about me. I come from a different back ground than you.

I sent him one more response, telling him that differences and backgrounds are understandable and there will always be differences of opinion on certain things. However, the Gospel essentials as determined by Scripture transcends all barriers between backgrounds. The Gospel unites Christians together.
He has not responded to me and I actually do not expect him to. However, I have learned one thing about him. He does indeed care that I agree with him, he made that very clear in previous discussion.

Can you understand where he is coming from, because without thinking the worst, I certainly can’t?

I better mention, this particular guy thinks nothing of using profanity; which should tell me something. He also has not been to a Church in quite some time, preferring to have Church with his brother and him.

Not even sure, if I should be having more discussions of this nature with him.
Tom