Originally Posted by Tom
I have rather sensitive question for the board.
How do you handle biblically when an adult child is clearly disrespecting you?

1. IF the child professes to be a Christian, not that they may be just because they say they are, then a gentle reminder of the 5th Commandment would be in order.

2. Depending upon what type of "disrespect" it is, then discipline might be in order, e.g., shunning for a period of time until an apology (repentance) be shown (Lk 17:3,4).

3. If the disrespect is of a minor nature, then just letting it 'slide' without mention might be appropriate or perhaps a quick mention that the disrespectful behavior shown was unbecoming to someone who professes to be a Christian.

4. IF the child is most assuredly unregenerate, then again depending upon the severity of the disrespect and the frequency of it, then at worse a break in the relationship might be in order. Yes, I know this will probably not go over well with many here, but that's my view and I'm sticking with it. [Linked Image] Excommunication by the Church is a biblical form of discipline toward the unrepentant and I believe it is appropriate for familial relationships as well. People sometimes forget what the Lord Christ said about those who follow Him:

Luke 12:51-53 (ASV) "Think ye that I am come to give peace in the earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: for there shall be from henceforth five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. They shall be divided, father against son, and son against father; mother against daughter, and daughter against her mother; mother in law against her daughter in law, and daughter in law against her mother in law."

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]