Originally Posted by Tom
Pilgrim, would you care to comment a little more specifically on the issue I brought up in my opening post?

Thanks

I"m not sure what you would like to hear from me? scratch1 Briefly, those Particular Baptists who hold that the Nicene Creed is heretical do so because they reject the language which describes the existence of the Son as the "only begotten". It is often said that those who drafted the creed embraced Platonism and consequently used that term. However, regardless of how many times one shows from Scriipture that "begotten" does not always mean, to come into existence by another, which would certainly indicate that there was a period that someone/something did not exist and thus one could not say that the person who was begotten was eternally existent, i.e., the person was created. That is essentially their argument. But Scripture uses the phrase "only begotten" in a different manner which describes a person's place, or position particularly one who is unique, special, etc. (cf. Gen 2:2,12,16; Jh 3:16,18). And/or, there are passages which speak of the Son being begotten, at first glance anyway, e.g., Ps 2:7 "I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.". But here, the passage is prophetic declaring that the Son as the Messiah has been decreed to appear as a man; the incarnation of the Son of God as Jesus of Nazareth, the God-man (cf. Jh 1:14; Acts 13:33; Heb 1:5).

The overwhelming majority of the Church throughout history which has embraced the Nicene Creed as biblical truth has always held and has written so in their own denominational confessions that God is one God and exists in three persons. And that each of these three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, are God, i.e., they ALL possess the exact same attributes which includes their eternal existence. Further, anyone who disagreed with this truth was judged as a heretic and expelled, e.g., Arius. Those Particular Baptists and any others who think that "only begotten" MUST mean, "to be born from, to come from" which of necessity denies eternality are unfortunately mistaken. Their issue is with the language used and not with the actual teaching of the Nicene Creed.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]