Donations for the month of December

We have received a total of $140 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Anthony C.
Anthony C.
NJ/PA
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,547
Posts50,762
Members921
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,309
Tom 3,319
chestnutmare 2,866
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,748
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,057
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 24
Pilgrim 17
Recent Posts
Christmas
by chestnutmare. Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:00 PM
Key teaching of Dispys is Gnostic
by PerpetualLearner. Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 PM
Glorious Bach
by goldenoldie. Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 AM
Nothing New Under the Sun?
by PerpetualLearner. Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:25 PM
Sexual harrassment fraud
by PerpetualLearner. Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:09 AM
Christian Leaders Behaving Badly
by Anthony C.. Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2260 - Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:29 PM All things permisable  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine today. We were talking about 1st Co 10:23. He makes the claim that we are free to sin. I say that we are free not to sin meaning we have a choice to please God now because of the grace of Christ. I leave it to your able hands.

#2261 - Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:55 PM Paul makes  
John_C Offline
Permanent Resident
John_C  Offline

Permanent Resident

Mississippi Gulf Coast
the case in Romans 6 that we are not. We are no longer under sin's judgement, but we are not free to sin. We just do it naturally.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
#2262 - Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:04 PM Re: All things permissible  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
Aaron,<br><br>Your friend might as well toss out the Bible, for in far too many places to mention, sin is something which does exist, is forbidden, and those who practice such will suffer eternal damnation. Where in Scripture is sin every sanctioned as a legitimate practice? Tell your friend that he must take care to observe CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT! [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif" alt="laugh" title="laugh[/img] Paul is speaking of "food and drink" and specifically the question as to whether it was sinful to eat meat which was sold and used by people as offerings to idols. See these 3 articles on "Christian Liberty":<br><br>The Weak and the Strong by Prof. John Murray<br><br>Liberty of Conscience by Donald McCleod<br><br>Christian Liberty by A.W. Pink<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#2263 - Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:12 PM Re: All things permisable  
J_Edwards Offline
Needs to get a Life
J_Edwards  Offline
Needs to get a Life

USA
Does your friend embrace Hedonism, Epicureanism, or Cyrenaicism? Don't philosophers have fun names?<br><br>Of course, what he sates is totally false. A person truly saved does not seek for ways to sin, but rather ways to say God forbid. Pilgrim kind of covered everything else with the articles he posted.

Reformed and Always Reforming,
#2264 - Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:52 PM Re: All things permissible  
Wes Offline
Needs to get a Life
Wes  Offline
Needs to get a Life

Northwest Indiana, USA
Romans 6:1,2 <br>"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?"<br><br>I John 1:5-10<br>"This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin." <br><br>"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us."<br><br>I John 2:28,29 <br>"And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming. If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him."<br><br>Sin and the Child of God<br><br>I John 3:4-9<br>"Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him." <br><br>"Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God." <br><br>Obedience by Faith<br> <br>I John 4:20,21 <br>"If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also."<br><br>Knowing the True--Rejecting the False<br><br>I John 5:18-21 <br>"We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him. <br><br>We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one. <br><br>And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life. <br><br>Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen."<br><br><br>The Doctrines of Grace Do Not Lead to Sin by Charles Hadden Spurgeon<br><br>

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss and pour contempt on all my pride. - Isaac Watts
#2265 - Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:46 PM Re: All things permisable  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

<blockquote>[color:blue]Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor.</font color=blue>(1 Corinthians 10:24 NASB)</blockquote><br><br>I think that verse helps too to clear up some misunderstanding of 10:23.

Last edited by Kalled2Preach; Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:47 PM.
#2266 - Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:48 PM Re: Paul makes [Re: John_C]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

So the true freedom that we have is as I stated the freedom in Christ not to sin but to at last please God?

#2267 - Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:51 PM Re: Paul makes  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

[color:blue]Freedom is what we have---Christ has set us free! Stand, then, as free people, and do not allow yourselves to become slaves again.</font color=blue> (Galatians 5:1 Good News Bible)<br>

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 99 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
drewk, patrice, Robert1962, Ron, billmcginnis
921 Registered Users
Shout Box
December
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30