Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#2323 Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:41 PM
carlos Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Here is a link to the transcript of Maccrthur on LARRY KING LIVE from Last week. He was on with Rabbi Harold Kushner, Father Michael Manning, Dr. Maher Hathout, a scholar of Islam, and another fellow. I had caught the end of on TV, but was able to find it on the web. <br>IT was called "Panel of Spiritual Leaders speak out on Seeking Meaning in the Aftermath of War"<br><br><br>http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/mac-lkl3.htm<br><br><br>I've been reading half-way through it, but thought to post it just case anyone was interested. So far, i thought it was strange how Father Michael Manning kept denying that Jesus said that nonbelievers would go to hell [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/ohno.gif" alt="ohno" title="ohno[/img]. I loved the fact that John was firm and kept sticking to the word of God.<br><br>In Christ,<br>Carlos

"Let all that mind...the peace and comfort of their own souls, wholly apply themselves to the study of Jesus Christ, and him crucified"(Flavel)
carlos #2324 Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:16 AM
Addict
Addict
If you thought the transcript was good to read, you should have seen the actual interview. I thought Depak, the New Age, Hindu guru was going to ask John out into the parking lot. As soon as John said, with emphatic certainty, that Jesus Christ was the only means of true salvation, and that anyone not trusting in Christ by faith alone is condemned to hell, it was if someone had thrown a live squirrl in amongst a room full of German Shepherds. The Depak fellow was aggitated pretty much for the remainder of the interview. <br><br>You can pray for John and his relationship with Larry. For some reason Larry has taken a shine to John, and anytime he has a religious oriented subject, he invites John to participate. Apparently, there are two fellows who are assistants to Larry, and both of them are born-again, Bible believing Christians. Usually, in Hollywood, saying you are Christian means you are semi-conservative and attend some local charismatic, seeker sensitive church on occasion. The gauge of orthodoxy is whether or not the person likes John or RC Sproul. These guys are of the latter group. From what I understand, they gave Larry a MacArthur study Bible, and Larry loves it. So who knows, maybe God is drawing the old guy to salvation. That would be a hoot wouldn't it? <br><br>Fred

"Ah, sitting - the great leveler of men. From the mightest of pharaohs to the lowest of peasants, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" M. Burns
carlos Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Unfortunately I only caught the end of it on TV. But in those few minutes, It seemed like it was 3 of them against John. <br>That would great if Larry got saved. I will pray that God would continue to use John to impact Larry and lead him to Christ.<br><br><br>Carlos

"Let all that mind...the peace and comfort of their own souls, wholly apply themselves to the study of Jesus Christ, and him crucified"(Flavel)
carlos #2326 Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
You know this isn't the only time that Larry King has been friends with someone that has been telling him about coming to Christ. I believe Charles Colson(don't make me look it up right now too tired) has witnessed to him also. Personally speaking (just opining here ) I think that Larry King likes John MacArthur on his show because it starts a fight. <br><br>

#2327 Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:22 PM
Veteran
Veteran
And Dr. Al Mohler has been on there numerous times as well.<br><br>http://wricketts.topcities.com/lkl_00.htm<br><br>http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cach...ranscript&hl=en&ie=UTF-8<br><br>http://www.gospelcom.net/lpea/firstpriority/winter2000/larrykingtranscript.shtml<br><br>http://www.castlebar.ie/board/0501/33849.htm<br><br>http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0108/09/lkl.00.html<br><br><br>I wish I had known MacArthur was going to be in it Sunday! I would have watched it!

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
#2328 Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:56 AM
Addict
Addict
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]I think that Larry King likes John MacArthur on his show because it starts a fight.</font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>There could be a hint of that with Larry, but if he was just looking to start a fight, he could entertain that incendiary, kook preacher from Topeka Kansas who protests at gay funerals. From what John has gathered from his discussion with Larry, he is genuinely searching for religious truth. Moreover, one of his daughters apparently got genuinely saved as well, and he has high level assistants who love the Lord and also share with him. What ever the case, I guess we will eventually see. In the meantime, we can praise the Lord that there is actually a solid Bible teacher giving him the gospel and answering his objections from the scripture. I am not so sure he got that with Colson, or even Swaggert, when he was a re-occuring guest.<br><br>Fred<br>

"Ah, sitting - the great leveler of men. From the mightest of pharaohs to the lowest of peasants, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" M. Burns
carlos #2329 Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:40 AM
Addict
Addict
One concern as I read this .... John MacArthur mentions the word "Bible" in only three of his statements, while he mentions "New Testament" in 15 of his statements! Instead of saying "That's what the BIBLE teaches", he says "That's what the New Testament teaches". Instead of saying "I believe everything in the BIBLE", he says, "I believe everything in the New Testament". <br><br>Steve C

Grace is not common.
li0scc0 #2330 Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:04 PM
Addict
Addict
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]One concern as I read this .... John MacArthur mentions the word "Bible" in only three of his statements, while he mentions "New Testament" in 15 of his statements!</font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Why exactly is that a concern? <br><br>Fred

Addict
Addict
My concern is that the Old Testament is the Word of God too. <br>You see, the viewing audience of Larry King are not seminary students, they are the general public. The general public watching this would assume that the Christian's standard is the New Testament only, not the entire Bible. And, in general, this is what the general public thinks about Christians. <br>A smart viewer would assume that if something is taught in both the NT and OT, then MacArthur would say, "my standard is the Bible", or "that's what the Bible teaches". If the Bible as a whole DOESN'T teach that, then MacArthur would say "this portion teaches that", or "my standard is this portion". And that is exactly what MacArthur says, when he limits it to the New Testament. Whether or not MacArthur believes the OT to be the word of God as much as the new, the impression left upon the viewer is that it is somehow inferior. <br><br>Steve

Grace is not common.
Addict
Addict
I can understand your concern, but now that I have watched John's interviews on Larry King several times over, I don't really see him ignoring the OT like you point out. In fact, on several occasions, when John was challeneged as to his authority, he says it is the Bible, in its totality. I can think of one instance, when Larry point blank asks John which Bible is God's word, and John stated with clarity "The Holy Bible of the Old and New Testaments." It could be also that the various discussions center around the authority of Christ, and of course, we must appeal to the NT specifically. <br><br>If I see John sometime, and think about it, I will try to remember to mention to him your thoughts (which I think are valid, by the way), but I can assure you heart that his intentions in taking up these Larry King interviews is for the purpose of proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ. He told us yesterday on Sunday that he has two goals when he goes on Larry's show: To uphold the absolute authority of the Holy Scripture, and to preach the exclusive, saving work of Christ. And, just on an interesting footnote. John was saying how Depak Chaopra makes a big deal about being at peace and unity with everyone when he is on the camera, but during the commercial breaks, when the public does not see him, can take on an aire of pugnaciousness and arrogance. It is remarkable how a person's character displays the true nature of the heart. <br><br>Fred

Addict
Addict
Fred,<br>Excellent points you brought out! Especially about Deepak Chopra...it is CLEAR from this transcript that he is an angry man! I saw him years ago on that hideous Politically Incorrect, and he did not come across as "gentle" and "peaceful" as perhaps he would have liked!<br>I most certainly know that Rev. MacArthur views the NT AND OT as the Word of God. I was just commenting from this interview. One thing I think is interesting is that Larry King, in the transcripts, certainly seems to back Rev. MacArthur. This is interesting, to say the least.<br><br>One thought I had.... he MAY have been emphasizing the NT due to the presence of a Rabbi?<br><br>Steve

Grace is not common.
carlos Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
steve,<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]<br>One thought I had.... he MAY have been emphasizing the NT due to the presence of a Rabbi?</font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>That was my thinking too. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/shrug.gif" alt="shrug" title="shrug[/img]. Maybe Fred can get an answer from John as to why he was emphasizing the NT so much.<br><br><br>Carlos<br><br>

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Though I thought that John was remarkable in standingup for the truth. I think that the reason that he didn't expound the OT as well was because the Rabbi of course would have responded with outrage and that would have taken the subject off center even more than Chopra's and the other mens comments. The papist was true to form and had no spine for truth. So I think that John was being PC.<br>

carlos #2336 Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:45 AM
Addict
Addict
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]One thought I had.... he MAY have been emphasizing the NT due to the presence of a Rabbi?</font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Well, I couldn't really answer for John. More than likely, he was referencing the NT because that is where John spends most of his preaching time. I was showing the interview to my Bible study last night, and I kept in mind the discussion from yesterday. I think because the subject often turn to what Jesus taught and who he was as a person, that John would keep his arguments from the NT. Old Deepak wanted to make up this new age Jesus that is all peace conscious, what ever that is, and John was defending the true Jesus as defined by the NT gospels.<br><br>Fred

#2337 Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:36 AM
Addict
Addict
I think that is a great point. In reading the transcript, MacArthur did a fine job spelling out the truth without offending. THe Papist seemed more like Deepak to me!<br>/scc/

Grace is not common.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth