Donations for the month of December

We have received a total of $140 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Anthony C.
Anthony C.
NJ/PA
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,549
Posts50,772
Members921
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,309
Tom 3,320
chestnutmare 2,868
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,748
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,057
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 28
Pilgrim 21
Recent Posts
Presuppositional Apologetics
by Tom. Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:42 PM
Adam created holy, so how could he fall?
by Pilgrim. Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:40 PM
Christmas
by Pilgrim. Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:01 AM
Key teaching of Dispys is Gnostic
by PerpetualLearner. Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 PM
Glorious Bach
by goldenoldie. Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 AM
Nothing New Under the Sun?
by PerpetualLearner. Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:25 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#31031 - Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:19 AM Re: R. C. Sproul Jr. defrocked [Re: MarieP]  
Robin Offline
The Boy Wonder
Robin  Offline
The Boy Wonder

Florida
Sproul Jr's position seems identical to the Lutheran one from what I understand of it:

My understanding of the Lutheran position is that baptized children reach an unspecific age or level of maturity where they lose their "covenant child status" and thereafter "maintain" their salvation by continuing in the church and receiving regular absolution there. That sounds identical to Sproul Jr's position.

It seems to me also that some have been willing to go to almost any lengths to legitimize paedocommunion in their Reformed denominations - even if it means turning the Reformation on its head.

Neither Sproul Jr's nor the Lutheran church's position is anything like Luther's was! Luther, going back to Augustine as well as Paul, hammered home justification by faith alone. I think he would be royally ticked off to see what has become of the church that calls itself by his name.

A very enlightening article on this "new perspective" can be found here which sheds a lot of light on the deeper theology that drives many paedocommunion advocates.

-Robin

#31032 - Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:17 AM Re: R. C. Sproul Jr. defrocked [Re: Robin]  
Peter Offline
Old Hand
Peter  Offline
Old Hand

USA
Robin said:
Sproul Jr's position seems identical to the Lutheran one from what I understand of it:

My understanding of the Lutheran position is that baptized children reach an unspecific age or level of maturity where they lose their "covenant child status" and thereafter "maintain" their salvation by continuing in the church and receiving regular absolution there. That sounds identical to Sproul Jr's position.

It seems to me also that some have been willing to go to almost any lengths to legitimize paedocommunion in their Reformed denominations - even if it means turning the Reformation on its head.

Neither Sproul Jr's nor the Lutheran church's position is anything like Luther's was! Luther, going back to Augustine as well as Paul, hammered home justification by faith alone. I think he would be royally ticked off to see what has become of the church that calls itself by his name.

A very enlightening article on this "new perspective" can be found here which sheds a lot of light on the deeper theology that drives many paedocommunion advocates.

-Robin

Really and where did you learn this? Now I admit that its been years since I've been in a Lutheran Church and the catechism is but a dim memory until I pick up Luther's shorter sitting here on my book shelf but that statement is contrary to what I was taught.

Peter

If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself. Augustine of Hippo
#31033 - Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:08 AM Re: R. C. Sproul Jr. defrocked [Re: Peter]  
Robin Offline
The Boy Wonder
Robin  Offline
The Boy Wonder

Florida
I wrote

And Boanerges replies:

Really and where did you learn this? Now I admit that its been years since I've been in a Lutheran Church and the catechism is but a dim memory until I pick up Luther's shorter sitting here on my book shelf but that statement is contrary to what I was taught.

At the LCS website, following the links to their doctrinal statements (particularly the one on baptism). Also I took the Confessing Evangelicals' word for it when they made the same assersion here.

But I have never been a Lutheran and I don't know what changes the LCMS has undergone since you were there. What I should have written was only that Sproul Jr's position seems very similar to what I think the Lutheran position is. Which actually leads to a whole 'nother question:

Why don't Sproul Jr and some of these NPP guys seek ordination in the Lutheran church (if I'm right about their theology) instead of trying to remain in the Reformed and Presbyterian community and running against the grain? Especially since many of the public teachings go against R&P doctrine.

Sorry if I goofed,
Robin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (goldenoldie), 18 guests, and 100 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
drewk, patrice, Robert1962, Ron, billmcginnis
921 Registered Users
Shout Box
December
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30