Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,914
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,456
Tom 4,525
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 11
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:49 PM
David Engelsma
by Tom - Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:41 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#37854 Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:31 AM
Plebeian
OP Offline
Plebeian
Hello. I found this uplifting this morning and wanted to share it. So, using copy and paste I post it.

Unconscious Influence
September 22

Just as Horace Bushnell (1802–1876) began practicing law, he was converted, and, returning to Yale, he enrolled in divinity school and entered the ministry. Bushnell found sermons in texts where others saw none. His study of John 20:8, for example, led to this sermon entitled “Unconscious Influence.”

We must answer not only for what we do with purpose, but for the influence we exert. Men are ever touching unconsciously the springs of motion in each other; thus it is that one man, without thought or intention, is ever leading some after him. Little does Peter think as he goes straight into the sepulcher that he is drawing his brother apostle after him. Little does John think, when he loses his misgivings and goes after Peter, that he is following his brother.

Just so, unawares to himself, is every man laying hold of his fellow man to lead him where otherwise he would not go. A Peter leads a John, a John goes after a Peter, both of them unconscious of any influence exerted or received.

Thus our life and conduct are ever propagating themselves through the circles in which we live. The Bible calls the good man’s life a light, and it is the nature of light to flow out spontaneously in all directions and fill the world unconsciously with its beams. The Christian shines, not so much because he will, as because he is a luminous object. I verily believe that the insensible influences of good men are much more potent than their voluntary or active, as the great silent powers of nature are of greater consequence than her little disturbances and tumults.

The true philosophy of doing good is here explained. It is, first of all, to be good—to have a character. In order to act with effect on others, he must walk in the Spirit, he must be akin to God and so filled with His disposition that he shall seem to surround himself with a hallowed atmosphere.

And this, my brethren, is what God intends for you all.

Today’s Suggested Reading John 20:1–10

Then the other disciple, who came to the tomb first, went in also; and he saw and believed. John 20:8

Work cited...

Morgan, R. J. (2000, c1998). From this verse : 365 scriptures that changed the world (electronic ed.) (September 22). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Mercy outruns malice
Wayfarer #37855 Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:46 PM
Addict
Addict
Wayfarer,

Thanks for your your post. I found Horace Bushnell's sermon "Unconscious Influence" in two books about great sermons. Also there is a book online which I have read some of titled "Christian Nurture" it's HERE if your interested.

How do you like the rest of the book "365 Scriptures That Changed the World"?

William

William #37856 Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:48 AM
Plebeian
OP Offline
Plebeian
William, I'm glad you enjoyed it (Unconscious Influence). I am interested and will give "Christian Nurture" a looksee soon. Thanks for the link.

"365 Scriptures That Changed The World" is often a blessing to me personally, but some of them make me wonder, "exactly what influence was actually wrought?" A few missed the mark in my opinion, as far as, whether it's (sermonette) actually was interpreted and expounded on in context, or given by the orator whose chronicled life, especially his core beliefs, were accurate or worthy of the influence he and his message had on the world. I'm sure this opinion is premature, as I just recently acquired this software.

I love research. Thanks for the reponse.

Rev. James aka Wayfarer

Mercy outruns malice
William #37857 Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:57 AM
Plebeian
OP Offline
Plebeian
William, I thought you might enjoy this tid-bit of information, being from New York and all. I use copy and paste once again. I do not want to flood this forum with to many of these type of posts, so I will be very discriminate.

Fulton Street Revival
September 23

The mood of America was grim during the mid-1850s. The country was teetering on the brink of civil war, torn by angry voices and impassioned opinions. A depression had halted railroad construction and factory output. Banks were failing; unemployment soared. Spiritual lethargy permeated the land.

In New York City Jeremiah C. Lanphier, a layman, accepted the call of the North Reformed Dutch Church to a full-time program of evangelism. He visited door-to-door, placed posters, and prayed. But the work languished and Lanphier grew discouraged.

As autumn fell over the city, Lanphier decided to try noontime prayer meetings, thinking that businessmen might attend during their lunch hours. He announced the first one for September 23, 1857, at the Old Dutch Church on Fulton Street. When the hour came, Lanphier found himself alone. He sat and waited. Finally, one man showed up, then a few others.

But the next week, 20 came. The third week, 40. Someone suggested the meetings occur daily, and within months the building was overflowing. The revival spread to other cities. Offices and stores closed for prayer at noon. Newspapers spread the story, even telegraph companies set aside certain hours during which businessmen could wire one another with news of the revival.

In all these cities, prayer services began at noon and ended at one. People could come and go as they pleased. The service opened with a hymn, followed by the sharing of testimonies and prayer requests. A time limit of five minutes per speaker was enforced by a small bell, when anyone exceeded the limit. Virtually no great preachers or famous Christians were used. It was primarily a lay movement, led by the gentle moving of God’s Spirit.

The revival—sometimes called “The Third Great Awakening”—lasted nearly two years, and between 500,000 and 1,000,000 people were said to have been converted. Out of it came the largest outlay of money for philanthropic and Christian causes America had yet experienced.

You, Lord, are my shepherd. I will never be in need. You let me rest in fields of green grass. You lead me to streams of peaceful water, And you refresh my life. Psalm 23:1-3a

Work cited:

Morgan, R. J. (2000, c1997). On this day : 265 amazing and inspiring stories about saints, martyrs & heroes (electronic ed.) (September 23). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Last edited by Wayfarer; Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:02 AM.

Mercy outruns malice
Wayfarer #37858 Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:35 PM
Sounds like the church in China, Africa etc. Unfortunately, for the most part, not in America

gil
Wayfarer #37859 Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:40 AM
Addict
Addict
Wayfarer,

In a book by Hughes Oliphant Old “THE READING AND PREACHING OF THE SCRIPTURES in the Worship of the Christian Church” below is an excerpt from volume 6 The Modern Age.

The dedication of the remodeled North Church gave De Witt the occasion to preach a sermon that shows an important emerging concern of the Old School pulpit, namely, the continuity of the church. Old school ministers, whether Archibld Alexander, John Williamson Nevin, or Thomas De Whitt, were beginning to go beyond a preoccupation with the conversion experience to discover the witness of continuity. The text De Witt takes is Psalm 48:9 (KJV) “We have thought of thy lovingkindness, O God, in the mist of thy temple” The sermon’s introduction speaks of the deep affection we have for those places where we have experienced the sacred bonds of family and community, the home in which we have been brought up. So it is with this beautiful church building. It first opened its doors in 1769. For almost a century the members of this congregation have been nurtured in the truth of the gospel and the fellowship of the faithful. The very building itself is a witness to the loving-kindness of God to his people. Surely it is this of which our text speaks: “We have thought of thy lovingkindness, O God, in the midst of thy temple.”

Thomas De Whitt was born in Kingston, New York my home town and was a pastor of two small churches in Dutchess county, New York. He also served almost forty-seven years in the Collegiate Reformed Dutch Protestant Church of the City of New York. --- Info from Mr. Old’s book

William

Wayfarer #37860 Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:56 AM
Addict
Addict
The revival—sometimes called “The Third Great Awakening”—lasted nearly two years, and between 500,000 and 1,000,000 people were said to have been converted. Out of it came the largest outlay of money for philanthropic and Christian causes America had yet experienced.

Work cited:

Morgan, R. J. (2000, c1997). On this day : 265 amazing and inspiring stories about saints, martyrs & heroes (electronic ed.) (September 23). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Wayfarer, I'm sorry to be negative but I'm a little down on this one it sounds like the beginning of the social gospel of which Walter Rauschenbush is said to be the father of. Note page vii, viii of the link below.

Thanks, William

http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=10954078#

CHRISTIANITY AND THE SOCIAL CRISIS
BY WALTER RAUSCHENBUSCH
PROFESSOR OF CHURCH HISTORY IN ROCHESTER THEOLOGICAL
SEMINARY
The theology was based on the brotherhood of all men and a universal love of God for all men. It was a denial not only of the reality of sin and the substitutionary atonement of Christ, but also of Christ’s divinity, His resurrection from the dead, and His sovereign rule from God’s right hand.

William #37861 Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:01 AM
Plebeian
OP Offline
Plebeian
William, I am in agreement with you to a point. I do know that our Sovereign LORD works in mysterious ways. And every circumstance is addressed as He sees fit, with it's ultimate goal being, to bring honor and glory to Himself. Saying that, this reference to Rauschenbusch below makes a person wonder about this passionate man.

Walter Rauschenbusch served for eleven years as pastor of the Second Baptist Church in New York City's "Hell's Kitchen." Acknowledged as a loving pastor and social prophet, he did much to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Although Rauschenbusch has long been recognized as the "Father of the Social Gospel," the religious convictions and experiences that shaped and molded this man and his ideas have often been ignored. "The ideal of the Kingdom of God," he said, "is not identified with any special social theory. It means justice, freedom, fraternity, labor, joy. Let each social system and movement show us what it can contribute, and the Lord will weigh its claims."

May His will be done!

Your loving "brother" in Christ, Rev. James aka Wayfarer

Mercy outruns malice
Wayfarer #37862 Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:05 AM
Plebeian
OP Offline
Plebeian
“And it shall come to pass, that everything that liveth which moveth, whithersoever the rivers shall come, shall live (Ezekiel 47:9).

THE living waters, in the prophet’s vision, flowed into the Dead Sea, and carried life with them even into that stagnant lake.

Where grace goes, spiritual life is the immediate and the everlasting consequence. Grace proceeds sovereignly according to the will of God, even as a river in all its windings follows its own sweet will; and wherever it comes it does not wait for life to come to it, but it creates life by its own quickening flow.

Oh, that it would pour along our streets and flood our slums! Oh, that it would now come into my house and rise till every chamber were made to swim with it!

Lord, let the living water flow to my family and my friends, and let it not pass me by. I hope I have drunk of it already; but I desire to bathe in it, yea, to swim in it. O my Saviour, I need life more abundantly. Come to me, I pray thee, till every part of my nature is vividly energetic and intensely active.

Living God, I pray thee, fill me with thine own life.I am a poor, dry stick; come and make me so to live that, like Aaron’s rod, I may bud and blossom and bring forth fruit unto thy glory. Quicken me, for the sake of my Lord Jesus. Amen.

Work cited:

Spurgeon, C. (2000). Faith's Checkbook (electronic ed.) (2). Escondito, California: Ephesians Four Group. Note:(fabulous software, definitely worth checking out!).

P.S. William, this is a follow up devotion to my previous post this morning. Oh, the wonders of His grace!

Mercy outruns malice
Wayfarer #37863 Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:56 PM
Addict
Addict
Wayfarer said:

. . . I do know that our Sovereign LORD works in mysterious ways.

Sir, perhaps you would like this video.

September 2007 marks the 150th Anniversary of the Fulton Street Revival in lower Manhattan, an event that within a few months resulted in more than 50,000 individuals praying daily in the city. The revival was a key part of Third Great Awakening.

This video explores the story of Jeremiah Lamphier's prayer movement and how the lessons of his passion for prayer can be applied today.

Fulton Street Revival Video

In peace, William

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tom), 115 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
chestnutmare, hdbdan
Popular Topics(Views)
1,509,657 Gospel truth