Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
AC,

Thanks for the response. I read what you wrote and immediately thought of the view that believes we don't need the objective written Word of God or it is to be used as a secondary source, compared to having direct communication with God, to know what is right and wrong, good and bad, etc. Some (many?) today function in a similar manner in regard to knowing the will of God for their daily lives, e.g., choosing a mate, where to go on vacation, etc., where they are depending upon some "voice from heaven", or the "Holy Spirit speaking" directly to them obviating the written Word.

I really love the following passage as an antidote to such views:

(2Pet 1:18-20) ASV "and this voice we ourselves heard borne out of heaven, when we were with him in the holy mount. And we have the word of prophecy made more sure; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day-star arise in your hearts: knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture is of private interpretation."

Even though Peter was witness to God speaking directly from heaven to the Lord Jesus Christ, he directs us to the written Word of God for it is "more sure", i.e., firmly established as a reliable authority. grin

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Even though Peter was witness to God speaking directly from heaven to the Lord Jesus Christ, he directs us to the written Word of God for it is "more sure", i.e., firmly established as a reliable authority. grin

Agreed!!!

The mercy of God is necessary not only when a person repents, but even to lead him to repent, Augustine

AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Jacy
when speaking of "Sabbath/Lord's Day keeping" I am NOT referring to missing corporate worship. I am speaking more of activities between or after worship, as stated in your quote above. To me, failure to assemble in corporate worship on the Lord's day is a no brainer whether you are a Sabbatarian or not.

There are 2 different views - Puritan and Continential with regards to how one keeps the Lord's Day

I don't know how accurate or Biblically/historicaly sound this related article is....hopefully Pilgrim or somebody else can expose any falsehoods featured in this article

http://www.frcna.org/Youthmessenger/archive.asp?Issue=200610&Article=1160945883

Last edited by AC.; Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:22 PM.

The mercy of God is necessary not only when a person repents, but even to lead him to repent, Augustine

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
AC,

The article is correct in that there are two different views (Continental vs. Puritan), which you also stated. However, he being in the FRC (Free Reformed Church of which I was at one time a 'student for the ministry' and thus very familiar with their doctrinal views), expectedly defends his denomination's doctrine and practice. But, he is in error when he writes:

Whereas Calvin saw the 4th commandment as simply delineating a principle of rest and worship, the Puritans carried it further. The Westminster Confession, largely formulated through Puritan influence, states, “The sabbath… is to be sanctified by an holy resting all the day, not only from such works as are at all times sinful, but even from such worldly employments and recreations as are on other days lawful; and making it our delight to spend the whole time in the public and private exercises of God’s worship.”
Here he believes that Calvin's view of the Sabbath is contrary to that of the Puritans which is recorded in the WCF. It has been shown quite solidly from Calvin's writings; his Sermons on Deuteronomy, Sermons on the Ten Commandments, Commentary on 1Corinthians (v. 16:2) and his Institutes of the Christian Religion, that Calvin believed both 1) the Sabbath was a creation ordinance and thus perpetually binding upon all men, and 2) the seventh day given to Israel in the Ten Commandments has been changed to the first day of the week, aka: The Lord's Day. The cycle of the weekly Sabbath was to be retained by the Church and only the specific day given to Israel, Saturday, was changed to reflect the resurrection of Christ. IF you have a further interest in reading some of that which Calvin wrote on the subject, I could provide some salient quotes from Calvin's writings. However, there is a full article defending Calvin's "Sabbatarianism" in The Confessional Presbyterian, vol. 3, August 2007, written by Stuart E. Lauer entitled, "John Calvin, The Nascent Sabbatarian: A Reconsideration of Calvin's View of Two Key Sabbath-Issues".

It is also a popular falsehood that Calvin didn't hold to the type of practice of the Puritans on the Lord's Day (Sunday), which Calvin's writings clearly show this was not the case. He believed that men should cease from all their worldly labors and recreation and devote themselves wholly to the things of God including attending corporate worship.

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Ok thanks Pilgrim,

If you know of any articles or links that provides further discussion on the Puritan/Continental views I'd be interested in checking them out!

AC

AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I found two interesting articles here, one by JC Ryle and the other by Thomas Boston

http://www.monergism.com/directory/link_category/Sabbath/

Peace!

AC

Last edited by AC.; Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:18 PM.

Addict
Addict
Originally Posted by AC.
There are 2 different views - Puritan and Continential with regards to how one keeps the Lord's Day

In practice I don't think there is much difference. Some continental reformed still have 3 church services which doesn't leave much time for monkey business. hello

AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks William, I like when you add your my2cents

God Bless,

AC

p.s. How's the Ebenezer crew? You should stop by Clifton some time!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth