Donations for the month of November

We have received a total of $100 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,533
Posts50,706
Members921
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,292
Tom 3,298
chestnutmare 2,862
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,748
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,057
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 20
Pilgrim 16
John_C 3
Recent Posts
The Church of England Announcement
by Tom. Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:11 PM
Law and Grace
by Tom. Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:56 PM
Why I hate the left
by Pilgrim. Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:42 PM
What is a missionary work
by Pilgrim. Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 AM
Terrorist Attacks
by AJ Castellitto. Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:08 AM
Theonomy
by Pilgrim. Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:54 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#43323 - Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:45 PM Article on John Calvin in Christianity Today  
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
AC.  Offline
Enthusiast

NJ
Pretty good article on Mr. Calvin (Don't call it a Comeback!) -

In discussing predestination, Calvin followed the method of Paul in his Epistle to the Romans. One does not begin with the inscrutable decrees of God, but rather with God's general revelation in creation and the conscience (Rom. 1). This leads to a discussion of human sinfulness (chapters 2-3), God's atoning work in Christ and justification by faith (chapters 4-7), followed by the pouring out of the Holy Spirit and the declaration of God's unfathomable love (chapter 8). Only then is it fitting to consider the theme of God's electing grace in the history of Israel and in our own lives (chapters 9-11). Only then, as we look back on our rescue from sin, can we exclaim with the non-Calvinist Charles Wesley, "Amazing love, how can it be, that thou my God shouldst die for me!"

The elect are not the elite. There is no place in Calvin's thought for the kind of spiritual snobbery reflected in the old camp-meeting ditty, "We are the Lord's elected few, / let all the rest be damned./ There's room enough in hell for you, / we don't want heaven crammed!" The true Calvinist preaches the gospel promiscuously to all persons everywhere, aware that God alone infallibly knows all those who belong to him.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2009/september/14.27.html

The mercy of God is necessary not only when a person repents, but even to lead him to repent, Augustine

#43324 - Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:19 PM Re: Article on John Calvin in Christianity Today [Re: AC.]  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
Yep, decent article especially when one considers the author, Timothy George, who is known to be anything but a Calvinist. giggle

Bio of Timothy George and other professors & teachers at Beeson found here: Faculty & Staff
Timothy George
Dean and Professor of Divinity
A.B., University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
M.Div., Harvard Divinity School
Th.D., Harvard University

Timothy George has been the dean of Beeson Divinity School since its inception in 1988. As founding dean, George has been instrumental in shaping its character and mission. He teaches church history and doctrine. He serves as executive editor for Christianity Today, and on the editorial advisory boards of The Harvard Theological Review, Christian History and Books & Culture. He has served on the Board of Directors of Lifeway Christian Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention. George has written more than 20 books and regularly contributes to scholarly journals. His book, Theology of the Reformers, has been translated into several languages, and is used as a textbook in many schools and seminaries. His most recent books are Is the Father of Jesus the God of Muhammad? and The Mark of Jesus: Loving in a Way the World Can See (with John Woodbridge). He has been active in evangelical-Roman Catholic Church dialogue. An ordained minister, he has been pastor of churches in Tennessee, Alabama and Massachusetts. He and his wife, Denise, have two adult children.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#43325 - Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:50 PM Re: Article on John Calvin in Christianity Today [Re: Pilgrim]  
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
AC.  Offline
Enthusiast

NJ
Hmmm, interesting. Yeah, I was suprised to read such a complimentary article on Calvin in CT.

The mercy of God is necessary not only when a person repents, but even to lead him to repent, Augustine

#43350 - Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:44 PM Re: Article on John Calvin in Christianity Today [Re: Pilgrim]  
John_C Offline
Permanent Resident
John_C  Offline

Permanent Resident

Mississippi Gulf Coast
I thought outside of Mohler's Southen Seminary in Louisville, Beeson in Birmingham was the next most calvinistic leaning SBC seminary.

Isn't George associated with the Founders, or am I getting some names mixed? Maybe Marie can set up staight.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
#43351 - Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:00 AM Re: Article on John Calvin in Christianity Today [Re: John_C]  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
Originally Posted by John_C
I thought outside of Mohler's Southern Seminary in Louisville, Beeson in Birmingham was the next most calvinistic leaning SBC seminary.

Isn't George associated with the Founders, or am I getting some names mixed? Maybe Marie can set up straight.

[Linked Image] All I personally know of Beeson is what I read on the seminary's website, e.g., his biographical sketch and those of the other faculty which I posted HERE. Yes, it is certainly possible for a man to receive his training at "questionable" institutions and even heretical institutions and be conservative in doctrine and life. R.C. Sproul is but one example as would be the pastor of my church. But methinks this is rather the exception rather than the rule. I read through all of the information provided on the faculty there and I found myself anything but impressed. They have a woman teaching there who is said to be an ordained minister, for example. Now, how can a school hold to Reformed doctrine and have this woman on the faculty? scratchchin

IF you or anyone else can find further information that would give credence to your present understanding that Beeson and/or the school is "the next most calvinistic leaning SBC seminary", please post it so that we might be enlightened to the facts and not left to such conclusions as I currently hold in this regard... seriously!! grin

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#43369 - Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:52 PM Re: Article on John Calvin in Christianity Today [Re: John_C]  
MarieP Offline
Permanent Resident
MarieP  Offline
Permanent Resident

Kentucky
Hey, John!

I don't know a whole lot about Timothy George and Beeson, but I don't think they are affiliated with Founders. George also was involved in ECT II, which of course is of great concern...

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
#43370 - Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:57 PM Re: Article on John Calvin in Christianity Today [Re: MarieP]  
MarieP Offline
Permanent Resident
MarieP  Offline
Permanent Resident

Kentucky
Wow...

Just saw that he is on the Founders Journal board...

Like I said, don't know much about him. And Beeson isn't SBC, at least last I knew.

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
#43372 - Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:10 AM Re: Article on John Calvin in Christianity Today [Re: MarieP]  
John_C Offline
Permanent Resident
John_C  Offline

Permanent Resident

Mississippi Gulf Coast
Beeson is the seminary at Samford in Birmingham, AL.

Samford is definitely a SBC college, so I assume the seminary on campus is one as well.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
#43373 - Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:22 AM Re: Article on John Calvin in Christianity Today [Re: John_C]  
MarieP Offline
Permanent Resident
MarieP  Offline
Permanent Resident

Kentucky
Originally Posted by John_C
Beeson is the seminary at Samford in Birmingham, AL.

Samford is definitely a SBC college, so I assume the seminary on campus is one as well.

Here's the deal with Baptist colleges...

Just because it's affiliated with the state convention does not mean it is an SBC college. I went to a Kentucky Baptist college (well, it used to be...they decided to quit getting funding from them because they wanted to become more "diverse")

The only official SBC seminaries are Southern, Southwestern, Southeastern, Midwestern, Golden Gate, and New Orleans. Midwestern used to be strongly Calvinistic too. I don't know where it's gone since they have a new President and several of their Calvinist faculty came to Southern (Don Whitney being one of them).

#43374 - Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:07 PM Re: Article on John Calvin in Christianity Today [Re: MarieP]  
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline
Needs to get a Life

Kelowna, British Columbia, Can...
Something doesn't make sense here.
Everything I know about Founders shows that they are very much Calvinist. From time to time I have even had the pleasure to talk via e-mail with Tom Ascol. Tom is as Calvinist as they come.
If what Pilgrim said is true about Timothy George being anything but a Calvinist, how could he be on Founder's journal board? For that matter why would he want to be on a pro Calvinist board?

Tom

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
drewk, patrice, Robert1962, Ron, billmcginnis
921 Registered Users
Shout Box
November
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30