Donations for the month of June

We have received a total of $100 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,638
Posts51,173
Members927
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,436
Tom 3,455
chestnutmare 2,915
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,758
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 21
Pilgrim 14
John_C 3
Johan 2
Meta4 1
Recent Posts
Mexican illegal immigration into the USA
by Anthony C.. Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:32 PM
Presuppositional Debate
by Tom. Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:12 PM
Question about sermons
by Johan. Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:54 AM
Same sex atrraction sinful then what?
by Tom. Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:35 AM
TWU Denied Law School Accreditation
by Tom. Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:14 AM
Reformed Confessions of Faith and the Traditional Text
by Pilgrim. Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:43 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Our Consolation #43897
Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:27 PM
Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:27 PM
NH
chestnutmare Offline OP
Annie Oakley
chestnutmare  Offline OP
Annie Oakley
NH
"For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ."—2 Corinthians 1:5

Here is a blessed proportion. The Ruler of Providence bears a pair of scales—in this side He puts His people's trials, and in that He puts their consolations. When the scale of trial is nearly empty, you will always find the scale of consolation in nearly the same condition; and when the scale of trials is full, you will find the scale of consolation just as heavy. When the black clouds gather most, the light is the more brightly revealed to us. When the night lowers and the tempest is coming on, the Heavenly Captain is always closest to His crew. It is a blessed thing, that when we are most cast down, then it is that we are most lifted up by the consolations of the Spirit. One reason is, because trials make more room for consolation. Great hearts can only be made by great troubles. The spade of trouble digs the reservoir of comfort deeper, and makes more room for consolation. God comes into our heart—He finds it full—He begins to break our comforts and to make it empty; then there is more room for grace. The humbler a man lies, the more comfort he will always have, because he will be more fitted to receive it. Another reason why we are often most happy in our troubles, is this—then we have the closest dealings with God. When the barn is full, man can live without God: when the purse is bursting with gold, we try to do without so much prayer. But once take our gourds away, and we want our God; once cleanse the idols out of the house, then we are compelled to honour Jehovah. "Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O Lord." There is no cry so good as that which comes from the bottom of the mountains; no prayer half so hearty as that which comes up from the depths of the soul, through deep trials and afflictions. Hence they bring us to God, and we are happier; for nearness to God is happiness. Come, troubled believer, fret not over your heavy troubles, for they are the heralds of weighty mercies.

Morning and Evening —C.H. Spurgeon

The Chestnut Mare
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
- - - -JRR Tolkien "Lord of the Rings"
Re: Our Consolation [Re: chestnutmare] #43926
Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:42 PM
Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:42 PM
England
E
English Rose Offline

Enthusiast
English Rose  Offline

Enthusiast
E
England
Hello there chestnutmare,

I seem to remember writing to you some long time ago, and I am still here, in the same place, trusting the Lord for every moment of every day and night. My husband is my carer.

I see that you have included a Spurgeon devotional. You will see on the open forum that by the grace of God, I am still placing a Philpot daily devotional and have asked if anyone wishes to be placed on that list. Also have a separate list for Spurgeon's devotionals, but just now am wanting to know God's will for the New Year, whether to continue (as most have Spurgeon) or to place Daily Light, or to go in some other direction. My computer is a lifeline and my only means of fellowship, apart from my husband.

Trust all is well with you. God bless. Sincerely, in Christ, English Rose

Re: Our Consolation [Re: English Rose] #43927
Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:56 PM
Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:56 PM
NH
chestnutmare Offline OP
Annie Oakley
chestnutmare  Offline OP
Annie Oakley
NH
It is so good to see you here again English Rose and to have you sharing of the Lord's work in your life.

I like to share quotes and devotionals from time to time as they for some reason have cause to appeal to me and I hope they might bless another. So you will see some from Spurgeon, J. Edwards, Owens and many others as well.

Thank you English Rose, by the grace of God, I am indeed well.

The Chestnut Mare

The Chestnut Mare
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
- - - -JRR Tolkien "Lord of the Rings"
Re: Our Consolation [Re: chestnutmare] #43935
Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:21 PM
Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:21 PM
England
E
English Rose Offline

Enthusiast
English Rose  Offline

Enthusiast
E
England
lovely to be in touch again, chestnutmare, and so pleased that you do include some special writings of the old saints, from time to time. I will take note of them.

If I maybe permitted, I would like to do likewise. though not sure what to do, but will need to learn, even in my old age!
So pleased the Lord does not forsake us and keeps us till the end.

He has blessed us with all spiritual blessings in Christ.

Glad you are well. Sincerely, in Christ, English Rose

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 115 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Micki Bowman, Nigel J, wischnotes, Dutch Michael, Ray
927 Registered Users
Shout Box
June
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
768,850 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.044s Queries: 15 (0.004s) Memory: 2.8316 MB (Peak: 3.1083 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-06-23 04:40:26 UTC