Donations for the month of December

We have received a total of $140 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Anthony C.
Anthony C.
NJ/PA
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,549
Posts50,772
Members921
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,309
Tom 3,320
chestnutmare 2,868
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,748
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,057
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 28
Pilgrim 21
Recent Posts
Presuppositional Apologetics
by Tom. Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:42 PM
Adam created holy, so how could he fall?
by Pilgrim. Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:40 PM
Christmas
by Pilgrim. Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:01 AM
Key teaching of Dispys is Gnostic
by PerpetualLearner. Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 PM
Glorious Bach
by goldenoldie. Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 AM
Nothing New Under the Sun?
by PerpetualLearner. Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:25 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4536 - Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:19 AM Bonfire Of The Vanities  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Again from the London Times Saturday August 9th 2003<br><br> "An American Church has held a modern day "Bonfire of the Vanities", setting fire to books, magazines posters and videos it believes were inspired by the devil. Members of the Jesus Non-Denominational Church in Greenville, Michigan, burnt Harry Potter novels, the book of Mormon, a Shania Twain album and the film Coneheads among other items. The Church's Bishop, TD Turner, said the bonfire showed the world that there are true followers of Jesus Christ who will not call evil good."

#4537 - Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:05 PM Re: Bonfire Of The Vanities  
MarieP Offline
Permanent Resident
MarieP  Offline
Permanent Resident

Kentucky
I was going to post something on this same topic, put on a more practical/personal note...<br><br>If we personally have books or music that teach heretical doctrine, should we throw them away if we wish to get rid of them? I've been to church yard sales where people have donated copies of the Book of Mormon or books by Robert Schuller. I for one would not feel comfortable doing this myself.<br><br>On the other hand, I do not think we should be creating bonfires and burning all heretical books, as if they had no right to exist. I work in a seminary library, and there need to be copies of books by Darwin, Voltaire, and Nietszche, in order that we as Christians might be able to know our enemy, so to speak, and intelligently respond. <br><br>So where do we draw the line?

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
#4538 - Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:50 PM Re: Bonfire Of The Vanities [Re: MarieP]  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]If we personally have books or music that teach heretical doctrine, should we throw them away if we wish to get rid of them? . . . So where do we draw the line?</font><hr></blockquote><p>Personally, if I have heretical literature, I never would put them up for sale or give them away to the general public. Such items I would only offer to those who I know have theological discernment and would use them, as I did, for reference and study purposes. If there were no takers, then they would be discarded. [Linked Image]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#4539 - Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:55 AM Re: Bonfire Of The Vanities [Re: Pilgrim]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Heretical books ? <br><br>Burn them ! Acts 19:19 kjv.<br><br>howard

#4540 - Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:18 AM Re: Bonfire Of The Vanities  
MarieP Offline
Permanent Resident
MarieP  Offline
Permanent Resident

Kentucky
Surely you are kidding...<br><br>Those were witches and warlocks burning books around one big pagan bonfire

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
#4541 - Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:05 PM Re: Bonfire Of The Vanities [Re: MarieP]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Surely you are kidding...<br><br>Those were witches and warlocks burning books around one big pagan bonfire </font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified. And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds. Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. (Ac 19:17-19)<br><br>No my friend those were <span style="background-color:yellow;">former</span> witches and warlocks who showing that they were obedient to the Word of God preached to them burned those items that they had used for magical practices. For they had given up the worship of false deities and now clung to the true God.

#4542 - Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:26 PM Re: Bonfire Of The Vanities  
MarieP Offline
Permanent Resident
MarieP  Offline
Permanent Resident

Kentucky
(Sheepish grin)<br><br>[img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/stupidme.gif" alt="stupidme" title="stupidme[/img]<br><br>The one time I don't look at the preceding verses and it comes back to haunt me.<br><br>If one of you moderators would kindly delete this post and the previous two, I'd appreciate it.<br><br><br><br>

#4543 - Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:33 PM Re: Bonfire Of The Vanities [Re: MarieP]  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]If one of you moderators would kindly delete this post and the previous two, I'd appreciate it.</font><hr></blockquote><p> [Linked Image] sbc_and_reformed. Hey, it's comforting to see that someone else makes mistakes from being too rash, besides me. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/rolleyes.gif" alt="rolleyes" title="rolleyes[/img]<br><br>I cannot delete your posts as they have replies! [Linked Image] Deleting yours will also delete any and all replies. Just think of this as a public display of humility and repentance. And rest in the fact that you aren't alone. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink[/img]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#4544 - Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:37 PM Re: Bonfire Of The Vanities [Re: Pilgrim]  
MarieP Offline
Permanent Resident
MarieP  Offline
Permanent Resident

Kentucky
Ok! Thanks [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile[/img]

#4545 - Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:45 PM Re: Bonfire Of The Vanities  
Paul_S Offline
Old Hand
Paul_S  Offline
Old Hand

The Bronx, NY
A woman who is now one of the "matriarchs" of our small church, who had been engaged in the occult Santaria practice before becoming a Christian about 15 years ago, was convicted on this issue one night several months after her conversion, took all her paraphernelia out to the barbecue in the backyard, and torched the lot of it. She says she never had a better night's sleep than that night's!

In Christ,
Paul S

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (goldenoldie), 18 guests, and 100 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
drewk, patrice, Robert1962, Ron, billmcginnis
921 Registered Users
Shout Box
December
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30