Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Permanent Resident
Permanent Resident
I am not arguing the correct answer, but it would seem since we are no longer totally depraved we would do a better job of dismissing sin from our lives.

Would it be safe to say that depravity only deals with a person's nature, not with a person's sin?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Pilgrim Offline OP
Head Honcho
OP Offline
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
I am not arguing the correct answer, but it would seem since we are no longer totally depraved we would do a better job of dismissing sin from our lives.

Would it be safe to say that depravity only deals with a person's nature, not with a person's sin?
As I tried to explain in my lengthy reply above, the nature of an unregenerate individual is WHOLLY inclined/predisposed to sin. In the regenerate individual, there is a new and spiritual inclination/predisposition to holiness, which is effected in regeneration. However, there still remains in the regenerate individual a remnant of the old nature which "wars" against the new nature, thus making it impossible to attain perfection in this life. There is a constant struggle to "put off the old man and the putting on the new man" (Rom 7:5,6,14ff; Eph 4:24; Col 3:10). Thus, perfection in this life is impossible for even our best 'good works' are tainted with sin. In this sense, the regenerated individual is 'depraved', infected with sin in every aspect of his being; mind, emotions and will. But the remainder of the sin nature does not dominate. The effects of regeneration are often described as being released from the "presence, power and penalty of sin". The true Christian is not subject to God's judgment for sin since Christ bore the penalty for all sins. Yet, we are still subject to the temporal penalties, consequences of our sins. Sanctification is progressive vs immediate.

Let me recommend once again Thomas Boston's Human Nature in its Four-Fold State (Banner of Truth).

Perhaps the following articles on The Highway would be of some assistance:

- Sanctification, by Thomas Watson
- The Gradual Conquest, by Ralph Erskine
- Sanctification, by Philip Hughes

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi John I picked the wrong answer too...here's a good article to consider from Joel Beeke:

http://hnrc.org/articles/the-puritan-view-of-holiness

A holy war

Third,Puritan sanctification is progressive,operating through conflict. The Puritans said conflict is inescapable in sanctification,because indwelling sin remains in the Christian,to his great sorrow. It engages him in great warfare and many battles. Indwelling sin works from the inside,the Puritans said,while the world exerts ungodly pressure from the outside. The devil,who plays the role of ring- leader,wants to take those outside pressures and use them along with the internal pressure to regain lost territory. So,although a person conquered by the Holy Spirit seeks to expand and gain the territory of sanctification universally in his life,the devil together with the world and the indwelling old nature,form a front-line of battle in the soul. A holy war is raging.

That is why Bunyan called his book,The Holy War. Sanctification involves conflict with myself,with my flesh,with the world,and with Satan. If a Christian is not battling with sin,the Puritans would say that person should question whether he is a Christian at all.

One Puritan painted this picture. He said that to be a Christian is to walk a narrow,straight path. On both sides of the path there are hedges. Behind those hedges Satan has all the powers of evil at his disposal. He uses his army of demons,and even our internal inconsistencies,and our proneness to fall into backsliding. He uses all these things as arrows,and every step we take along the spiritual pilgrimage he shoots through and over the hedge,aiming at our feet,our heart,our hands,and our eyes. Every step of the way is a battle.

Accepting a struggle

Thomas Watson said the way to heaven is “sweating work.” There is a battle raging,but the work of sanctification,happily,will advance. Sanctification is not stagnant. The Puritans employed Paul’s words of 2 Corinthians 3:18,that we will be changed from one glory to another if we walk in the Spirit. So the true Christian is one who accepts that there will be conflict,but at the same time rests in the truth that the ultimate victory is his. He may lose many skirmishes,but the war will be won,because he is in Christ. The Holy Spirit will lead him,and he will increasingly advance.

However,there is a snag,said the Puritans,because the Christian will often not be able to see any progress in himself. One Puritan said that a woman who dusts her furniture may think she has cleaned away all the dust,until the sunlight shines into her room revealing all the remaining dust. So the more the Sun of righteousness shines in our hearts,even though we may be growing in holiness (and others may see it),we shall see increasingly the motives of our heart.

The important question is not—”Do I view myself as growing more and more holy?” but—”When I look back in my life,say three or five years ago,does Christ mean more to me today than He did then? And do I think less of myself today than I did then? Is Christ increasing and am I decreasing? Am I growing in appreciation of Christ,and in self-depreciation?” This is the Puritan way of examining ourselves with regard to holiness.

Another Puritan way of evaluating progress in holiness is to ask how we are currently battling with temptation. If we are not battling the forces pressing in upon our flesh,we are backsliding. In order,therefore,to make progress the believer must pray at the throne of grace:“Help me to be strong today,Lord. Help me to be pure today. Help me to do righteousness today.” This is the constant desire of the Christian who is making progress in sanctification.

Last edited by AC.; Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:32 PM.

The mercy of God is necessary not only when a person repents, but even to lead him to repent, Augustine

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth