I wanted to take this opportunity to make everyone aware that we have a forum devoted to prayer, appropriately labeled "Prayer Forum" and located in this General Discussion section. We are admonished in Scripture to pray for each other and so I would urge you all to make use of it. I have noticed that it has not been well used which gives rise to my concern. This is a special place where we can put forth our needs, our praises, thanksgiving, petitions before our brethren with hope that we will unite in prayer.

Some time ago, an excellent article was posted on The Highway on this matter of prayer, by J.C. Ryle to which I now point you and encourage you to read it.

"Prayer is the most important subject in practical religion. All other subjects are second to it. Reading the Bible, keeping the Sabbath, hearing sermons, attending public worship, going to the Lord’s Table, — all these are very weighty matters. But none of them are so important as private prayer.

I propose in this paper to offer seven plain reasons why I use such strong language about prayer. I invite to these reasons the attention of every thinking man into whose hands this paper may fall. I venture to assert with confidence that they deserve serious consideration.

This is without doubt one of the most important subjects a Christian could consider; prayer, that direct communication with God. Apart from justification before God through the work of Christ and of faith, prayer is the most important aspect of the Christian life which a believer is privileged to practice. Are you one who labours in prayer or are you one who struggles to find time to commune with God in prayer? Surely, most of us of are to be included in the latter designation and to our shame. Do not neglect to read this article and then spend time in self-examination concerning your prayer life, if indeed you can be said to have one.

What a divine privilege it is to have an open door to the throne of grace where the Lord of Glory dwells and awaits the petitions of His children so that He might bestow upon them mercy and grace without measure. Further, it is through the prayers of the saints that God has chosen to accomplish much of His eternal purposes on earth. Do not neglect to take advantage of this privilege and glorify your Father in heaven.

Read this article now by clicking here: PRAYER
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
- - - -JRR Tolkien "Lord of the Rings"