Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Sunday night I attended an installation of an assistant pastor in a nearby city. The pastor who gave the charge to the Session, based his charge on Ephesians 4:1-16. In it he mentioned in verse 11 about the gifts of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers. Of course, apostles and prophets are no longer practiced gifts (or office). He also said he is persuaded that the gift (or office) of evangelists as presented in Ephesians 4 as not being practice today as well. He said he didn't have time to delve into that, nor was it the place as he wanted to spend his time on pastors (shepherds) and teachers in making the charge.

Although I probably would have sympathy with him, I have not heard of that particular gift (or office in Eph 4:11) as no longer being practiced as presented in Ephesians 4. Has anyone of you heard a deeper understanding of that?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
John,

1. There is no warrant to designate "evangelist" as an office. The NT is clear that there are but two offices; Elder and Deacon. Phillip, for example, was ordained as a deacon and in that capacity he also was an itinerant evangelist. Likewise, Timothy was an aid to the apostle Paul and later was ordained as an Elder.

2. The gift of "evangelist" I equate with what we today commonly call "missionary". But again, the Bible nowhere establishes those who are so gifted as holding an office within the Church.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Thanks.

In Ephesians 4:11 was Paul talking about the gift or the office in naming the 4? OTOH, maybe Ephesians 4 is not about spiritual gifts as we see in 1 Corinthians 12. Maybe I need a good definition of distinguishing between a gift and an office?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
Thanks.

In Ephesians 4:11 was Paul talking about the gift or the office in naming the 4? OTOH, maybe Ephesians 4 is not about spiritual gifts as we see in 1 Corinthians 12. Maybe I need a good definition of distinguishing between a gift and an office?
Let's look at the CONTEXT of that verse:

Ephesians 4:8-12 (KJV) Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
We see that Paul is speaking of "gifts" and not offices. Offices are designated elsewhere in Paul's epistles which have to do with the administration of the Church. Thus, the great majority of denominations have agreed that Elder and Deacon are the only two permanent offices established for the post-resurrection Church.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Plebeian
Plebeian
I equally agree that Eph.4:11 is not about offices but about gifts as is made clear from the words " he gave gifts to men." My own thinking (and I could be wrong) is that the first three gifts of apostle, prophet and evangelist were unique to the founding of the New Testament church.
It seems to me that these evangelists would have been part of the apostolic team or some kind of assistants to the apostles as is evident from the case of Philip and Steven who were ordained by the apostles in Acts 6 and could therefore also perform miracles just as the apostles did. We don't hear of elders (apart from the apostles themselves) performing miracles in the Scriptures and also in church history.
Therefore it would be safer to say that the gift of evangelist in Eph.4:11 has now ceased. The work of apostles, prophets and evangelists now falls on pastor-teachers. For example, pastors completely rely on the writings of the apostles to shepherd the church. Pastors are also "prophets" in a way because they bring the word of the Lord to the congregation but not as direct revelation as the prophets did. Pastors are also exhorted to do the work of an evangelist like Paul did instruct Timothy.
Just thinking loudly.

A Debtor to Sovereign Grace
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Lichawa Thole
Therefore it would be safer to say that the gift of evangelist in Eph.4:11 has now ceased. The work of apostles, prophets and evangelists now falls on pastor-teachers. For example, pastors completely rely on the writings of the apostles to shepherd the church. Pastors are also "prophets" in a way because they bring the word of the Lord to the congregation but not as direct revelation as the prophets did. Pastors are also exhorted to do the work of an evangelist like Paul did instruct Timothy.
Just thinking loudly.
You may be correct, but I am going to have to take exception to the "pastor-teacher" designation - IF - by this you are implying that there are ordained elders who are not "pastor-teachers", aka: "Ruling Elders". As has been already discussed, I believe strongly that there is but ONE OFFICE of "Elder", the qualifications of which requires that a man be both "apt to teach" and "rule well". There is nothing in Scripture which deems one man a "pastor-teacher" who is above any other, nor even equal to others who are relegated either specifically or in practice and not deemed pastor-teacher. ALL elders are pastors, bishops, over-seers, under-shepherds, etc., for the qualifications for the office must be met by any man considered for the office. grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 78 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,511,125 Gospel truth