Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,914
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,456
Tom 4,525
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 11
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:49 PM
David Engelsma
by Tom - Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:41 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Pilgrim Offline OP
Head Honcho
OP Offline
Head Honcho
Over the next few days I want to outline and assess an important new book, Merit and Moses: A Critique of the Klinean Doctrine of Republication, written by three OPC pastors, Andrew Elam, Robert Van Kooten, and Randall Berquist.

Merit and Moses is a response to The Law is Not of Faith, and especially the main thesis of that book, that the Mosaic Covenant is in an important sense a republication of the Covenant of Works.

Unlike The Law is Not of Faith (TLNF), Merit and Moses (MM) is readable, brief, consistent, and relatively simple. It obviously helps to have the truth on your side.

Before you decide to switch off from what you may think is some irrelevant academic debate, note that the authors of TLNF state that if we disagree with their view of the Mosaic covenant “we will be necessarily impoverished in our faith” and “see in only a thin manner the work of our Savior.” To disagree with republication is “not optional,” they say, because it paves the way for the erosion of the Gospel and of the doctrine of justification by faith.
All 4 Parts are now online.

The links to the 4 articles in the series can be accessed from the links below:

Part 1: http://headhearthand.org/blog/2014/08/11/moses-and-merit-part-1/

Part 2: http://headhearthand.org/blog/2014/08/11/merit-and-moses-part-2/

Part 3: http://headhearthand.org/blog/2014/08/13/merit-and-moses-part-3/

Part 4 http://headhearthand.org/blog/2014/08/14/merit-and-moses-part-4/

Last edited by Pilgrim; Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:09 PM. Reason: Added Part 4

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Permanent Resident
Permanent Resident
I'll get the ball rolling. Would it possible for it to be a republication of the Covenant of Works, and still be use as pointing us to Christ? What would be the purpose of the need of a republication except to codify it in more detail? The Covenant of Works ship has sailed long before that with the introduction of Covenant of Grace in Genesis 3.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Pilgrim Offline OP
Head Honcho
OP Offline
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
I'll get the ball rolling. Would it possible for it to be a republication of the Covenant of Works, and still be use as pointing us to Christ? What would be the purpose of the need of a republication except to codify it in more detail? The Covenant of Works ship has sailed long before that with the introduction of Covenant of Grace in Genesis 3.
Please correct me if I am not understanding your question(s). grin

1. The covenant of works cannot be "republished" since it was never abrogated. To clarify, God set forth the stipulation that man; Adam as the federal head of the entire human race, had to live a perfect life and to obey the specific command to abstain from eating of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. When Adam ate of the fruit he transgressed the command of God and broke covenant with God. Thus, he and all his posterity would be under the curse of God, i.e., eternal, physical and spiritual death, consisting of the inheritance of a corrupt nature and the imputation of the guilt of that transgression (cf. Rom 5:12-18, et al).

2. That covenant was broken but its effects are still in force, but there is no place in Scripture where it is written that God "republished" that covenant so that obedience would be rewarded, i.e., conformity to the covenant would be deemed meritorious. It is incontrovertibly impossible for anyone to render perfect obedience in even one thing which could be deemed as merit and God rendering some reward.

3. IF man was capable of 'earning' rewards from God for less than perfect duty, which is owed God by virtue of the fact that God owes man nothing due to the fact that man, being created by God is obligated to obey Him by nature, then what the eternal Son of God did by taking upon human flesh, living a perfect life and suffering the punishment due for all those whom He came to atone for would be grossly diminished and God's standard of righteousness lowered infinitely.

I believe that all your questions were also answered in the 4-Part series linked above. Historically, and confessionally, the Reformed faith has been perspicuous in stating that there is but one Covenant of Works and one Covenant of Grace. The law given to Moses on Sinai was simply the law which God wrote in the very conscience of Adam and all men and put then on tablets of stone, demonstrating their perpetuity. Further, the principle of the Three-fold Use of the Law, has been firmly established both biblically and confessionally, which the proposed "Republication" doctrine contradicts.

Yes, the Mosaic law serves to drive sinners to Christ as it functions in the first two uses of the law and then serves as the standard of life in sanctification to those whom God has given grace.

Does any of the above answer your question(s)? giggle

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Permanent Resident
Permanent Resident
I came across this and it is really confusing. Throwing out names such as Gaffin and Shepherd with Murray appears strange.

http://theaquilareport.com/republication-a-doctrinal-controversy-four-decades-in-the-making/

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Pilgrim Offline OP
Head Honcho
OP Offline
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
I came across this and it is really confusing. Throwing out names such as Gaffin and Shepherd with Murray appears strange.

http://theaquilareport.com/republication-a-doctrinal-controversy-four-decades-in-the-making/
It's confusing because the proponents of the "Republication/Two-Kingdom" view are confused. A basic axiom I hold and follow is: If a new view is difficult and confusing to grasp and stands contrary to historic confessional doctrine, then more than likely it is error. Such is the case with this Republication view and those who are advocating that the Reformed community accept it. One of the tactics used by purveyors of error is to try and make themselves appear to stand on equal ground with highly respected 'notables'; in this case John Murray. However, there is little in common between what John Murray taught and what the protagonists of Republication are teaching.

The 4-Part Series by David Murray posted here elsewhere is perhaps the clearest statement concerning what both sides believe. I have posted links to several other good articles elsewhere on this board too. wink

Lastly, even Walberg admits that the vast majority of Reformed seminaries oppose this view as he wrote here:

For the record, it appears that the following Reformed seminaries oppose the republication view: Covenant, Greenville Presbyterian, Mid-America Reformed, Reformed (largely as a result of John Frame’s tenure), Reformed Presbyterian (Covenanter), Puritan-Reformed, Northwest, and Westminster East (read in light of the Shepherd-Gaffin proponents). This leaves Westminster West as the sole seminary promoting the biblical view (as we understand the issues).

And, if Richard Gaffin and Norman Shepherd support Republication, then you can be quite sure that it is heresy.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tom), 115 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
chestnutmare, hdbdan
Popular Topics(Views)
1,509,657 Gospel truth