Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
rstrats #50975 Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:50 AM
The Boy Wonder
The Boy Wonder
How about this: The world was flat to me until I learned that it was round, so I changed my belief from flat-earth to a spherical globe. Consciously, as a matter of choice. This ain't complicated.

rstrats #50976 Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:12 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by rstrats
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
"I would dispute your claim that you have embraced beliefs which you have not done so consciously. Why? Because the incontrovertible truth is that ALL belief is an exercise of the will (choice)..."
Then I would ask you to demonstrate your ability to consciously engender a new belief by doing as requested in the OP.
Easily answered by showing your premise is illogical and perhaps even irrational, for you originally wrote:

I have never been able to consciously choose any of the beliefs that I have...
This would mean that everything you believe, i.e., everything you consider to exist or is true, you have absolutely no involvement in embracing those beliefs. So, anything you hold to exist or to be true is therefore innate and unalterable, because for a belief to change in your view, it cannot involve your conscience; intellect with the process of reason nor your affections, an affinity, desire, attraction for something. And if anything you believe exists or is true does change, it thus must be due to some invisible external or internal force which you are totally unaware of and thus you cannot even know your belief has changed or that it no longer exists.

Bottom line..... fatuousness.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Robin #50977 Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:47 AM
rstrats Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Robin,

re: "How about this: The world was flat to me until I learned that it was round..."

What was the state of your mind with regard to the shape of the earth at the moment you realized that you had learned that the earth was round?

rstrats #50978 Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:54 AM
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley
Perhaps attentive?

So what is your agenda. It is obvious that you have one and are choosing to play games here.

The Chestnut Mare
rstrats #50979 Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:57 AM
The Boy Wonder
The Boy Wonder
Robin,

re: "How about this: The world was flat to me until I learned that it was round..."

What was the state of your mind with regard to the shape of the earth at the moment you realized that you had learned that the earth was round?

Ardent conviction based on observation that the earth was flat; followed by delight and ardent conviction that the world is a sphere based on observation, reason, and newly discovered facts.

Education forced the change. Rather than get all hurt and disappointed by the facts, I took delight in the truth and reveled in meaning of this newly-discovered truth:

That I won't ever fall off the edge into oblivion,
That there is more to know than merely what I see,
That the Creator is amazing, wise, powerful, and imaginative,
That someday I will see Him and learn even more!

rstrats #50980 Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:36 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Having showed the impossibility of "believing" something unconsciously, how about looking at the biblical teaching concerning "belief", particularly those things which belong to the non-corporeal such as a fiduciary faith/belief in God and Christ.

Isaiah 1:18 (ASV) "Come now, and let us reason together, saith Jehovah: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."
Here, God is appealing to reason with a proposition to consider having shown that He will not have anything to do with the people of Israel due to their myriad sins. The call is to repent and embrace (believe) in the mercy of God. Certainly this involves a conscious decision.

John 8:24-30 (ASV) "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for except ye believe that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins. They said therefore unto him, Who art thou? Jesus said unto them, Even that which I have also spoken unto you from the beginning. I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you: howbeit he that sent me is true; and the things which I heard from him, these speak I unto the world. They perceived not that he spake to them of the Father. Jesus therefore said, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am [he], and [that] I do nothing of myself, but as the Father taught me, I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me; he hath not left me alone; for I do always the things that are pleasing to him. As he spake these things, many believed on him."
Another appeal to believe using reason; a direct use of the intellect and the emotions/affections. Again, a conscious act of believing is called for.

Romans 1:16-23 (ASV) "For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is revealed a righteousness of God from faith unto faith: as it is written, But the righteous shall live by faith. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hinder the truth in unrighteousness; because that which is known of God is manifest in them; for God manifested it unto them. For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, [even] his everlasting power and divinity; that they may be without excuse: because that, knowing God, they glorified him not as God, neither gave thanks; but became vain in their reasonings, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, and [ex]changed the glory of the incorruptible God for the likeness of an image of corruptible man, and of birds, and four-footed beasts, and creeping things."
Belief comes through the consideration of facts made known, either through perception or communication of thought or that which is inherently known. In this case, the wrath of God is clearly understood and acknowledged due to the incontrovertible reality of the everlasting power and deity of God is perspicuously seen in both the things which are made; the creation, and from an internal witness of conscience, man being created in the image of God. However, despite the overwhelming and undeniable witness of the truth concerning God men choose to deny God and the evidence that reveals Him. This denial, aka: unbelief is blatant, for they don't simply ignore the evidence but the exchange the truth of it for a lie, i.e., something of their own making, as they preen themselves on being 'wise', despite the fact that their belief is illogical and irrational.

Luke 24:15-21,25,27,32-34 (ASV) "And it came to pass, while they communed and questioned together, that Jesus himself drew near, and went with them. But their eyes were holden that they should not know him. And he said unto them, What communications are these that ye have one with another, as ye walk? And they stood still, looking sad. And one of them, named Cleopas, answering said unto him, Dost thou alone sojourn in Jerusalem and not know the things which are come to pass there in these days? And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, The things concerning Jesus the Nazarene, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people: and how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him. But we hoped that it was he who should redeem Israel. Yea and besides all this, it is now the third day since these things came to pass... 25 And he said unto them, O foolish men, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken!... 27 And beginning from Moses and from all the prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.... 32-34 And they said one to another, Was not our heart burning within us, while he spake to us in the way, while he opened to us the scriptures? And they rose up that very hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them, saying, The Lord is risen indeed, and hath appeared to Simon."
A marvelous and beautiful pericope that illustrates among many things that one can be plagued with disbelief but through knowledge of the truth one can truly abandon that disbelief and believe. In this case also, believing was conscious which resulted from a knowledge of truth and a desire to believe that which was hoped; a hope that was grounded in prophesy, a foretelling of the coming of the Messiah who would save His people from their sins.

Acts 17:1-4 (ASV) "Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews: and Paul, as his custom was, went in unto them, and for three sabbath days reasoned with them from the Scriptures, opening and alleging that it behooved the Christ to suffer, and to rise again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom, [said he,] I proclaim unto you, is the Christ. And some of them were persuaded, and consorted with Paul and Silas, and of the devout Greeks a great multitude, and of the chief women not a few."
Another instance of initial unbelief, which through the dissemination of the truth, many believed, i.e., they consciously considered (reasoned) what was said and deliberately embraced the truth of what was told them.

The call to repent, believe and follow Christ is always directed at one's intellect and often with an appeal to the emotive element of a person. The response, either to reject that call or to receive that call is always a conscious one. The ability to believe is another issue entirely not germane to this discussion. The reality is people believe or disbelieve something consciously.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #51061 Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:43 PM
rstrats Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Pilgrim,

re: "The reality is people believe or disbelieve something consciously."

Then I would ask you again to demonstrate such an ability to consciously engender a new belief by doing as requested in the OP.

rstrats #51068 Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:26 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Pilgrim,

re: "The reality is people believe or disbelieve something consciously."

Then I would ask you again to demonstrate such an ability to consciously engender a new belief by doing as requested in the OP.
And why should I "demonstrate" something which I have gone to great lengths to do just that by providing both myriad biblical passages and via logic. Others have likewise provided "demonstrations" of this incontrovertible truth. The alleged "help" you originally asked has been given but you obviously have no regard for any of it. This is what you originally wrote:

A number of folks on these boards are saying or at least implying that they can consciously choose to believe things. If you are one of them perhaps one of you can help me. I have never been able to consciously choose any of the beliefs that I have and I would like to be able to do that. If you think that you can consciously choose to believe things, I wonder if you might explain how you do it. What do you do at the last moment to instantly change your one state of belief to another? What is it that you do that would allow you to say, "OK, at this moment I do not believe that "x" exists or is true, but I choose to believe that "x" exists or is true and now instantly at this new moment I do believe that "x" exists or is true?
Restricting "belief" to just an individual's response to the Gospel, the commands and pleadings throughout both the OT and NT to repent and believe, which are addressed to one's conscious being, would be senseless. True saving faith (belief) is the fruit of regeneration and involves the mind (intellect), emotions (affections) and will, aka: fiducia. It is the same manifestation of loving God with all one's heart, mind, soul, and strength. If it were unconcious, then it would be impossible to detect and thus you would be forever seeking after that which already exists. Again..... pure nonsense. hairout

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
rstrats #51074 Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:53 AM
rstrats Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Pilgrim,

re: " The alleged 'help' you originally asked has been given..."

The first part of the help - and it's not alleged, it's flat out stated - is for someone to demonstrate in realtime ( 'right now, while you are reading this') ones ability to consciously choose to believe things. So far no one has done that.

Last edited by rstrats; Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:54 AM.
rstrats #51075 Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:44 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
You asked for help in demonstrating "to consciously choose to believe things". What HAS been given, as stated several times via Scripture and logic, that all choices to believe something is, of necessity, a conscious decision. The contrary is illogical and makes no sense, aka: nonsense. Your personal perception of your alleged inability to do so is hardly a viable proof. We here hold that the Bible is the sole and final authority in all matters pertaining to faith and life. If you consciously choose to not believe what God has written, there isn't much I or anyone can do to help you further. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #51077 Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:22 PM
rstrats Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Pilgrim,

re: "You asked for help in demonstrating 'to consciously choose to believe things'. What HAS been given, as stated several times via Scripture and logic, that all choices to believe something is, of necessity, a conscious decision."

And yet no one so far has demonstrated such an ability.

re: "Your personal perception of your alleged inability to do so is hardly a viable proof."

It's proof that I have never been able to consciously choose to believe things. I haven't said that that means that no one else can.

re: ". We here hold that the Bible is the sole and final authority in all matters pertaining to faith and life."

I have no idea what that has to do with this OP.

re: "If you consciously choose to not believe what God has written, there isn't much I or anyone can do to help you further."

I see I need to repeat that I have never been able to consciously choose to believe or not believe things.

At any rate, it's apparent that all I'm going to get here is a bunch of grief so I shall be moving on and you can close this topic.

rstrats #51080 Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:52 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
You asked for help in demonstrating 'to consciously choose to believe things'. What HAS been given, as stated several times via Scripture and logic, that all choices to believe something is, of necessity, a conscious decision.

And yet no one so far has demonstrated such an ability.
Huh? scratch1 It has been demonstrated that all human beings consciously believe what they do from Scripture and logic.

We here hold that the Bible is the sole and final authority in all matters pertaining to faith and life.

I have no idea what that has to do with this OP.
Huh? scratch1 Since Scripture speaks to the issue of "believing" and since the Scriptures are the final and sole authority on the subject of believing, it seems obvious that it has everything to do with the subject.

At any rate, it's apparent that all I'm going to get here is a bunch of grief so I shall be moving on and you can close this topic.
Did you consciously believe that all you are going to here here is a bunch of grief? Or, did that belief just create itself apart from your consciousness and you have no idea why you believe that and you have no ability to not believe that? shrug

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 67 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,511,495 Gospel truth