Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,788
Posts54,919
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 11
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J_Edwards #5198 Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:32 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I talk and witness to people from all religious backgrounds constantly. I do believe both yourself and Pilgrim have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick on this thread.<br><br>The point is that as a Protestant , I will not work with NON - CHRISTIANS regarding religious affairs.<br><br>Gerry has made this clearer.<br><br>I am leaving hyper-calvinism Joe, and how you came to that conclusion from reading my posts , you will have to explain to me please.<br><br>Yesterday , I witnessed to two J W's and ordered 20 copies of the New Testament in Russian which a friend will take to Moscow and sent several sound books to folk in the USA.<br>If this is hyper-calvinism then I'm guilty as charged .<br><br>howard

Last edited by howard; Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:13 AM.
#5199 Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:19 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Great posts Gerry. You understand clearly - IMHO.<br><br>Those folk who compiled the WCF would have been horrified that Protestants could sign such a document. <br><br>howard

Wes #5200 Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:30 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Wes , you can also explain to me what my protectionist mentality is too please.<br><br>howard

#5201 Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:56 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Yesterday , I witnessed to two J W's and ordered 20 copies of the New Testament in Russian which a friend will take to Moscow and sent several sound books to folk in the USA. If this is hyper-calvinism then I'm guilty as charged.</font><hr></blockquote><p> Praise God!!! But would you WORK with these same people in a soup kitchen to feed the poor and then be a witness, a missionary, an evangelist [color:red]to both</font color=red> the JWs and these others? If not then you have already limited your evangelism efforts and thus the Gospel itself--a hyper view. The Bible preaches limited atonement, not limited evangelism. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/drop.gif" alt="drop" title="drop[/img]<br><br>A saint once said:<br><br><blockquote>The principle that operates here is that the rule of our duty and the measure of our responsibility is God’s revealed will of precept, and not His hidden will of event. We are to order our lives by the light of His law, not by our guesses about His plan.</blockquote> By your [color:red]guesses</font color=red> you have decided that the "other denominational groups" are unworthy of your [color:red]relationship evangelistic</font color=red> efforts. If you are only willing to preach AT people then I would say your evangelism is incorrect. There is a difference in preaching AT someone and being entitled to share WITH someone. Are you willing to [color:red]build relationships with those of the opposite faith</font color=red> (and there are several ways to do this) so you may show them the truth? I am NOT saying to embrace their beliefs, but I am saying that you and Gerry need to embrace them as people that God has made in His own image and thus they are worthy of God's "love" and re-consideration of your methodological approach(s).<br><br> <blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"] I will not work with NON - CHRISTIANS regarding religious affairs.</font><hr></blockquote><p> In the "common" workplace is EVERYONE a Christian that one would normally work with, or is there some diversity? Christians work EVERYDAY with non-Christians toward some "goal" they have in common!! They may share the same type of "work" (one works for God's glory, the other to justify himself), but they hold to and would share different Gospels (the other not being a Gospel at all). Be an evangelist!<br><br>You and Gerry both desire to limit evangelism to preaching AT instead of getting involved WITH these people and sharing with them from a relational perspective (read above). Building relationships is a key/core consideration in evangelism. That is one reason why the Scripture says AS YOU GO and NOT just GO in Matt 28. <br><br>Howard, I never said you were hyper, only "straying" that way. Re-read the post!!!

Reformed and Always Reforming,
J_Edwards #5202 Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:22 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:
[color:"blue"]But would you WORK with these same people in a soup kitchen to feed the poor and to be a witness, [color:red]a missionary, an evangelist to both the JWs and these others?

Joe,

Personally, I would do most everything with unbelievers or those of different religions or theologies, EXCEPT the two items, which I believe are one, which I have highlighted in [color:red]red. For example, I would find it impossible to "team teach/evangelize" with an Arminian, Roman Catholic, Pentecostal, etc., because we have a decidedly different Gospel. In fact, these people would actually be an "object" of my evangelism efforts and not co-evangelists. While it seems apparent that Howard and Gerry make a very broad distinction between "secular" and "sacred", which I find no biblical warrant. I must draw the line when it comes to the proclamation and teaching of the truth. Because of the vast differences between the doctrines of grace and all the other "varieties" of theology which can be reduced to synergism, joining with anyone other than someone who holds to the historic doctrines of the Reformation would be nothing less than adding a "leaven" to the lump.

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #5203 Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:03 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]In fact, these people would actually be an "object" of my evangelism efforts and not co-evangelists.</font><hr></blockquote><p> I agree, and I think this is where Howard and Gerry are missing it at and misunderstanding the Gospel. As I said in the earlier post, I would "be a witness, a missionary, an evangelist [color:red]to both</font color=red> the JWs and these others," [color:red]not</font color=red> that I would enjoin the Biblical Gospel with a JW and then attempt to evangelize the others. In other words, I could serve food to a homeless man standing beside a JW doing the same thing, but the Gospel I presented [color:red]would not be enjoined</font color=red> to the JW who was serving the food with me, as I would be attempting to evangelize [color:red]both</font color=red> him and the homeless man. Just because someone stands beside a JW in "working" (i.e. serving a homeless man) does not mean he shares the JWs beliefs or that there should be an enjoining of a joint-presentation of the Gospel, which actually would be impossible (as you pointed out in your post). There are clear cut lines here. <br><br>The distinction I make between a missionary and evangelist is very small. Where I think there is "some difference" is that missionaries sometimes go where no visible CHURCH is or has been. Evangelists go and come back home as a normal walk, where missionaries go live permanently in the area to establish a church (church planter). Thus, this is a matter of semantics for me to distinguish the difference.

J_Edwards #5204 Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:55 PM
Hi Joe,<br><br>I am somewhat reluctant to participate in this very involved discussion. However there are a couple of points in your reply which are causing me some confusion. You mentioned a friend who attends a Mormon church, gave as an example attending a Catholic church, and spoke about missionaries "partaking" of another religion. Please forgive me if in ignorance I have misunderstood what you are saying, but I just wondered if you felt that in attempting to evangelise, it would be ok to participate in the worship of those other churches or religions.<br>Yours in Christ,<br>Brian.

J_Edwards #5205 Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:00 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
[Linked Image] Thanks for the clarification. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]<br>

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Saved_n_kept #5206 Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:02 PM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Please forgive me if in ignorance I have misunderstood what you are saying, but I just wondered if you felt that in attempting to evangelise, it would be ok to participate in the worship of those other churches or religions.</font><hr></blockquote><p> How could one WORSHIP in such a facility and to what god would they be worshiping. But, remember other denominational churches have CLASSES they teach on different days of the week and to attend these to "make relationships" to evangelize I think is ok for someone who "feels" called to this type ministry. Acts 16.

J_Edwards #5207 Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:45 PM
Thanks Joe.<br>Brian. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/thankyou.gif" alt="thankyou" title="thankyou[/img]

Pilgrim #5208 Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:53 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
While I did not see where any clarification was needed if the initial post was taken as a whole, I believe Howard and Gerry ONLY have to look at ONE clear example of the text of our Lord and Saviour to be set right on this issue--the 12 disciples. All 12 "worked" together towards similar goals, but JUDAS was among them (thus, they worked for different purposes). Judas could be any unbeliever. But the other 11 and the Lord himself were working with him and even ate with him. I might add that the other 11 deserted Christ at the Cross. Howard and Gerry how do you deal with the Bible on this issue? Is it possible for you to "work" with an unbeliever, but believe and have a different Gospel to share? Jesus did, will you? [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/shrug.gif" alt="shrug" title="shrug[/img]

#5209 Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:50 PM
Wes Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Howard,<br><br>Please forgive me for not responding to your reply sooner. I've been away from home for a long weekend and thus away from my computer. I just returned..... [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/flee.gif" alt="flee" title="flee[/img]<br><br>Let me be very plain in my reply to you so that you can understand what I think those who've been motivated to write and sign the ECT statement were trying to accomplish. In my opinion Packer and the others who have signed this document think we should have further discussions regarding mutual concerns without compromising what's been accomplished through the Reformation. I think the document addresses your concerns quite clearly without suggesting buying into Roman Catholicism. <br><br>To answer your question I'd like to use the example Pilgrim has brought into this discussion namely abortion rights. I referred to your protectionist mentality because you are unwilling to even stand side by side with someone who agrees with you about not killing babies because you're afraid someone will think you've compromised what you believe if the other person is not Reformed. I want you to know that I would even be willing to stand side by side with a pagan who believes killing babies is wrong to try to defend the lives of the unborn. I don't think it needs to be a religious thing at all! Most civilized people who believe killing is wrong can agree with each other on this without even getting into religions discussions. [Linked Image]<br><br>The fact that you won't participate with someone who doesn't embrace your beliefs says a lot about you. [Linked Image]<br><br><br>Wes

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss and pour contempt on all my pride. - Isaac Watts
Wes #5210 Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:38 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Wes , now you must tell all how this says a lot about me.<br><br>Your insight into my christian walk should make interesting reading.<br><br>howard

#5211 Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:11 AM
Wes Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Howard,<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]...now you must tell all how this says a lot about me.<br><br>Your insight into my christian walk should make interesting reading.</font><hr></blockquote><p>Howard you've already done that. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/sad.gif" alt="sad" title="sad[/img]<br><br><br>Wes<br>

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss and pour contempt on all my pride. - Isaac Watts
Wes #5212 Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:04 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Wes , I fail to see your reasoning sir. Kindly explain what my christian walk consists of.<br><br>Or would you care to reject me as a heretic ?<br><br>howard <br><br>

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,512,189 Gospel truth