Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Mckinley #52162 Tue May 24, 2016 4:38 PM
Addict
Addict
In fact, this is not a baptism issue, this is about being under the living word.... My 7 year old daughter has great faith in God, relatively speaking of course.

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Tue May 24, 2016 8:31 PM.
Mckinley #52166 Tue May 24, 2016 8:46 PM
Addict
Addict
Hey Pilgrim,

I don't agree with him in entirety or even partly, but a Dr. Phillip Cary, I believe he is Anglican and has a pretty high regard for Augustine & Luther and Calvin to a lesser extent. Anyway, he made an interesting point that Luther resisted an emphasis on power of the spirit almost as if divorced from the word of God (Cary mentions a man named Carlstadt who said he didn't need the word only the spirit) Like the power of the gospel is not in the word and the content itself but in an almost mystical experience that must accompany the word.... And that Calvinism plays into this , that we forgo outside presentation of word and sacrament but rather wait for a special trigger or experience. Like the convicting power of the word is not in itself enough.... And this is where I think Calvinism, although a legitimate reaction became a bit of an overreaction and the whole Further Reformation of dividing the mind from the heart produces an almost schizophrenic view of salvation....? I still hold to the doctrines of grace, but wrestle with the application and see sanctification often presented as pre-regenerative angst

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Tue May 24, 2016 8:51 PM.
Pilgrim #52167 Tue May 24, 2016 9:06 PM
Addict
Addict
I tell ya, I'm truly confused, this is all over my head...

2014 Reading - Theology - Justification
Stephen M. Cunha, The Emperor Has No Clothes: Dr. Richard B. Gaffin Jr.’s Doctrine of Justification (The Trinity Foundation, 2008)

This book is a hard-hitting critique of Dr. Gaffin’s teaching on justification. The author is a layman who was a member of the OPC congregation where Dr. Gaffin serves on the session. The book originated as a paper by Mr. Cunha presented to the session. When he did not receive a response that satisfied him, he and his family left the OPC and joined a church in the denomination founded by Paul Elliot.
I review this book with several misgivings and concerns. First, I do not like the tone set by the title of the book, “The emperor has no clothes.” Second, Dr. Gaffin became Emeritus Professor in 2008, and so it seems a little harsh to go after a man now that he has retired and is trying to serve the church in quieter ways. Third, the publisher (The Trinity Foundation, run by John Robbins until his death) is not an objective source, but is known as extremely critical of Van Til, the OPC, and Dr. Gaffin – pretty much writing all of them off as heretics who deny the gospel.
Mr. Cunha, true to the Publisher’s intemperate rhetoric, charges Dr. Gaffin with teaching a false gospel. He claims that Dr. Gaffin’s teaching “crosses the line of Reformed orthodoxy and communicates a gospel that is different from the Gospel of God revealed to us in Scripture” (p. 33). His main evidence supporting that claim is Dr. Gaffin’s repeated emphasis on a future justification in accordance with works at the day of judgment, based on his interpretation of Romans 2:6-13. As a result, Cunha claims, the works produced by faith are, on Dr. Gaffin’s construction, pulled into the sphere of justification in a way that is beyond purely evidential (pp. 38, 45, 48).
In spite of my misgivings about the author’s tone, my theological sympathies lie with Mr. Cunha. I agree 100% with his own formulation of the doctrine of justification and the proper relationship of faith and works. I agree with Mr. Cunha that Dr. Gaffin’s (pre-2006) formulation of a future justification according to works was not in line with Paul’s doctrine of justification by faith alone and certainly finds no foundation in Romans 2:6-13 when read in context. In addition to his mistaken formulation of future justification, Dr. Gaffin had a long track record of consistently defending Norman Shepherd. He also made the tragic error of endorsing Shepherd’s book, The Call of Grace (2000). Even more recently, at the 70th GA in 2003, he defended OPC ruling elder John Kinnaird, who taught that believers do not attain glorification and entrance into heaven on the sole ground of Christ’s righteousness but by their holy living and good works.
I do think, however, that something happened to Dr. Gaffin ca. 2006. I don’t know exactly what happened, but something did. That was the year that the OPC’s Committee to Study the Doctrine of Justification, of which Dr. Gaffin was a member, completed its Report, which was received by the 73rd GA and commended to the presbyteries for study. This Report is very clear in its teaching on justification, including a repudiation of Shepherd’s confusion of faith and works (pp. 55-56 n89). The year 2006 is also a turning point since that is the year Dr. Gaffin published his book By Faith, Not By Sight: Paul and the Order of Salvation (1st edition published by Paternoster; 2nd edition by P&R) (The bulk of Chapter 4 of this book was adapted, with slight modifications, into an essay titled “Justification and Eschatology,” published as Chapter 1 in Justified in Christ: God’s Plan for Us in Justification, ed. K. Scott Oliphint [Mentor, 2007].) In By Faith, Not By Sight, Dr. Gaffin’s formulation of the future aspect of justification is significantly clarified in contrast with his earlier formulations. He now clearly states that the bodily resurrection of believers will be the “open manifestation” of the justification that they already possessed irrevocably by faith alone on the ground of Christ’s imputed righteousness alone (in contrast with what Shepherd, Kinnaird, and he himself formerly taught). He adds that when believers appear before the judgment seat of Christ to be judged according to their works, they will appear there as already justified. (For these absolutely critical statements, see By Faith, Not By Sight, pp. 98-100; Justified in Christ, pp. 20-21). Dr. Gaffin sees future justification (i.e., glorification) as occurring prior to judgment according to works, with the former being grounded exclusively in Christ’s merit. Contrast that with his earlier statement that “eternal life depends on and follows from a future justification according to works” (Dr. Gaffin’s audio lectures on Romans; quoted by Cunha, p. 56). There are still some important loose ends and probable ongoing disagreements that need to be explored, such as Dr. Gaffin’s non-hypothetical interpretation of Rom 2:13, the law-gospel contrast, and the question of the relationship of justification and sanctification in union with Christ. But those are in-house Reformed debates. It seems to me that the post-2006 Dr. Gaffin is within the bounds of Reformed orthodoxy with regard to justification.
So while I am sympathetic with much that Mr. Cunha has to say if taken as a critique of the pre-2006 Dr. Gaffin, I do not think he has taken into account the change that took place in Dr. Gaffin’s thought. Legitimate questions still remain, of course: Why hasn’t Dr. Gaffin come forward to acknowledge that his thinking has changed? Why hasn’t he repented of and apologized for his previous defense of Shepherd for the previous 30 years, especially for the regrettable endorsement of The Call of Grace? The lack of any public accounting for his past statements and writings provides an opening for critics like Mr. Cunha who do not believe Dr. Gaffin’s more recent professions of orthodoxy with respect to the doctrine of justification. I cannot recommend this book, but I understand what motivates it.

Anthony C. #52168 Tue May 24, 2016 9:16 PM
Addict
Addict
And finally one more link and I think we can put this to rest as water under the bridge, maybe? http://www.puritanboard.com/showthread.php/24893-Spiritual-Crisis-in-OPC

A personal aside, the OPC periodical recently published a YEC oriented piece that some physicist took issue with saying that a YEC promotion makes us look foolish.... I was compelled to respond thus,

Hello Mr _____,

It always troubles me when somebody mentions their credentials and assumes those who don't agree with the consensus is ignorant. I'm referring to a comment by a Mr. ____ from ____. Of course he is standing by the common presuppositions. But why does he believe one presupposition and believe those who don't are "foolish" (and I'm assuming not others). I find this to be highly disappointing and somewhat discouraging but also sadly typical. As one whose done a great deal of apologetic study on evolution vs creation, and seen the holes with regards to probability, entropy, progressive mutations (and lack thereof), etc.... I find such a superior mindset,despite my respect for his learnedness, disappointing.... Below I link 2 nuclear physicists, neither who I would deem foolish. Sorry I was a bit cranky here, but his letter just grieved me a bit. Thank you

http://creation.com/d-russell-humphreys-cv

http://creation.com/jim-mason-nuclear-physicist

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Tue May 24, 2016 10:04 PM.
Anthony C. #52169 Tue May 24, 2016 10:20 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by AJ Castellitto
Hey Pilgrim,

I don't agree with him in entirety or even partly, but a Dr. Phillip Cary, I believe he is Anglican and has a pretty high regard for Augustine & Luther and Calvin to a lesser extent. Anyway, he made an interesting point that Luther resisted an emphasis on power of the spirit almost as if divorced from the word of God (Cary mentions a man named Carlstadt who said he didn't need the word only the spirit) Like the power of the gospel is not in the word and the content itself but in an almost mystical experience that must accompany the word.... And that Calvinism plays into this , that we forgo outside presentation of word and sacrament but rather wait for a special trigger or experience. Like the convicting power of the word is not in itself enough.... And this is where I think Calvinism, although a legitimate reaction became a bit of an overreaction and the whole Further Reformation of dividing the mind from the heart produces an almost schizophrenic view of salvation....? I still hold to the doctrines of grace, but wrestle with the application and see sanctification often presented as pre-regenerative angst
Unfortunately, the author is incorrect re: Calvinism's emphasis and you are likewise very much wrong in your conclusion about Calvinism. [Linked Image]

Biblical, historic, confessional Calvinism has been the object of much criticism which has accused its followers of being too "intellectual". But this criticism has come mainly from Fundamentalism who for a long time disparaged theological study and an educated clergy. Even a cursory reading of any of the Reformers and Puritans would disprove both accusations that Calvinism divides the head from the heart and that Calvinism is too intellectual. John Calvin was widely known and is still known by those who read his writings to be a man not only who was an incredible intellect, but a man who possessed a deep passion for God and his fellow man, as well as a sincere compassion for the lost. That is why you will sometimes see the symbol of a heart and John Calvin placed together. See also this interesting article: The Heart of John Calvin.

Re: the Puritans... there never has been and probably never will be a group of godly men who were so well educated and biblically knowledgeable as the Puritans AND who were doctors of the soul. See, for example John Flavel's Keeping the Heart or the 6 sermons by Ralph Erskine which can be found in the last 3 Article of the Month entries.

Lastly, Calvinism has always taught what Paul wrote in Romans 1:16ff, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is revealed a righteousness of God from faith unto faith:..." Calvinism teaches that the revelation of God is contained in the Bible which the Spirit uses to call the elect to repentance and faith in Christ AND to sanctify the same in preparation for heaven. The efficacy of the written Word of God is due to it being the means by which God the Spirit calls men to Christ and transforms them into His image. It is never an 'either or' but always a 'both and' relationship.

Have you read John Kistler's excellent article, Why Read the Puritans Today?. I uploaded it as the Article of the Month back in December of 1997, nearly 20 years ago. grin

Addendum: Your criticism has no relevancy to historic Calvinism!! It is true of the NRC and similar groups who do NOT represent historic, biblical confessional Calvinism. They are basically a sect which distorts the truth of the Gospel and holds its adherents hostage through a fabricated mysticism which is nowhere to be found in God's Word. Remember, a counterfeit anything resembles the real thing on the surface. And that is why counterfeits are so effective in fooling people. wink

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #52170 Tue May 24, 2016 10:35 PM
Addict
Addict
Okay. Thanks! It's tough, I feel like I don't know exactly what Calvinism is.... I feel like it's been corrupted or misapplied by denominations or churches that miss the mark somehow.... I guess my own pride justifies my own attempts to elevate/separate John Calvin over and above (as too pigeon-holed by) Calvinism...but to be honest, I'm not qualified to do so....

* on another note,Im impressed with J Machen..the stands he took. Is Machen OK with you? Just curious.. He seemed to stand Firm on Calvinism

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Tue May 24, 2016 10:44 PM.
Anthony C. #52171 Wed May 25, 2016 5:56 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by AJ Castellitto
* on another note,Im impressed with J Machen..the stands he took. Is Machen OK with you? Just curious.. He seemed to stand Firm on Calvinism
J. Gresham Machen was a marvelous man in many respects and wrote some very good things; nothing innovative as is the goal today for far too many. He simply affirmed and defended the "faith once delivered unto the saints". There are several articles on The Highway main website by Machen and D.v., we will be adding more over time.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 60 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,484 Gospel truth