Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#52395 Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:41 AM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I read the biblical passages which the author claims John Knox used to formulate/apply this doctrine of "The Lesser Magistrate" and I found nothing whatsoever that would teach such doctrine. Unless Scripture teaches any doctrine, it makes no difference who embraces it and/or teaches it.

What Scripture does teach, e.g., Rom 13:1ff is that all, including Christians, are to be subject to the "higher powers", i.e., those in authority over them. However, there are two exceptions which Scripture also teaches:

1. Christians are not to obey any law, edit, rule, etc., which is contrary to what God Himself forbids.

2. Christians are to disobey any law, edit, rule, etc., which God Himself requires of them.

What does authorize 'lesser magistrates' to ignore that which the federal government demands is the Constitution of the United States which gives the individual States autonomy over the Federal government when it oversteps its proper authority.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
But Calvin does promote the lesser Magistrate to rebel against ungodly rulers, no? As did Luther, I believe.... so an appeal has precedent from our Reformed fathers who influenced our forefathers.....

So I would agree that we haven't a Biblical warrant so much as there is a constitutional and more importantly a religious-historical justification.... not sure any of our lesser magistrates have the heart for it or if Christians should be appealing them to do so and resist on our behalf from a religious freedom perspective as a preemptive measure or extra protection..... I'm not even certain I would agree with such a measure in these times..... the days of the reformers the issues were pagan Christianity vs. Biblical Christianity now the fight is religious humanism or more accurately godless Secularism vs. Biblical Christianity ..... I believe

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:06 PM.
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by AJ Castellitto
But Calvin does promote the lesser Magistrate to rebel against ungodly rulers, no? As did Luther, I believe.... so an appeal has precedent from our Reformed fathers who influenced our forefathers.....
Really? But if Scripture doesn't teach such a view, in fact, if Scripture teaches something at variance with such a 'precedent', which it surely does, then methinks that precedent is surely to be rejected, don't you? scratchchin

Originally Posted by AJ Castellitto
So I would agree that we haven't a Biblical warrant so much as there is a constitutional and more importantly a religious-historical justification....
Constitutional vis a vis the U.S. Constitution, correct? But more importantly a religious-historical justification which has no biblical warrant? If there is no biblical warrant for something, then how can it be of any value whatsoever other than showing what a believer should not believe?

Murray has a neato article on tradition here: Tradition: Romish nd Protestant. Rome's errors in most every case found their beginning in the ill-thought ideas of men which were then adopted by their 'church' and eventually made canon. It makes no difference if John Calvin or Martin Luther believed in this doctrine of the "Lesser Magistrate", which hasn't even been established as fact. If Scripture doesn't support the view then it should be rejected, right? grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
I understand, I don't think Calvin and Luther believed in a doctrine of LM per se as being scripturally binding or authoritative or even in anyway being biblically derived....I think they were just smarting from the whole Catholic scene in which they escaped.... so they by default had to be cognizant of the 'political' scene and the Godly or lack thereof influences within the civil/national sphere. but I pretty much agree with what you are saying

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth