Donations for the month of July

We have received a total of $0 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
lazarus
lazarus
Morgantown, WV
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,650
Posts51,257
Members928
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,462
Tom 3,478
chestnutmare 2,916
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,762
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 37
Pilgrim 33
John_C 7
Johan 1
Recent Posts
Apologetics
by Tom. Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:32 AM
Starting Out
by Pilgrim. Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:15 PM
Conspiracy?
by ReformedDisciple. Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:32 AM
AN EARNEST PLEA TO SUPPORT THE HIGHWAY
by Movinforward86. Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:40 PM
Question about sermons
by Movinforward86. Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:35 PM
David and Bathsheba question
by Pilgrim. Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:46 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Partake Unworthily? #52586
Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:46 AM
Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:46 AM
NJ/PA
Anthony C. Offline OP
Enthusiast
Anthony C.  Offline OP
Enthusiast
NJ/PA
My question, is it strange that a Calvinist would view a nonbeliever participating in lords supper as a self inflicted condemnation when the spiritual reality is somewhat dependent upon the faith of the communicant? I sometimes want to lean closer to Luther when it comes to the Lords Supper, as I find it to be a bit more scriptual.....
Anyway, Interesting article and quote of Calvin on Lords Supper in comments

https://afkimel.wordpress.com/2014/10/21/calvin-and-luther-is-jesus-really-present-in-the-supper/

To eat unworthily, then, is to pervert the pure and right use of it by our abuse of it. Hence there are various degrees of this unworthiness, so to speak; and some offend more grievously, others less so. Some fornicator, perhaps, or perjurer, or drunkard, or cheat, (1Co_5:11,) intrudes himself without repentance. As such downright contempt is a token of wanton insult against Christ, there can be no doubt that such a person, whoever he is, receives the Supper to his own destruction. Another, perhaps, will come forward, who is not addicted to any open or flagrant vice, but at the same time not so prepared in heart as became him. As this carelessness or negligence is a sign of irreverence, it is also deserving of punishment from God. As, then, there are various degrees of unworthy participation, so the Lord punishes some more slightly; on others he inflicts severer punishment.

Now this passage gave rise to a question, which some afterwards agitated with too much keenness — whether the unworthy really partake of the Lord’s body? For some were led, by the heat of controversy, so far as to say, that it was received indiscriminately by the good and the bad; and many at this day maintain pertinaciously, and most clamorously, that in the first Supper Peter received no more than Judas. It is, indeed, with reluctance, that I dispute keenly with any one on this point, which is (in my opinion) not an essential one; but as others allow themselves, without reason, to pronounce, with a magisterial air, whatever may seem good to them, and to launch out thunderbolts upon every one that mutters anything to the contrary, we will be excused, if we calmly adduce reasons in support of what we reckon to be true.

I hold it, then, as a settled point, and will not allow myself to be driven from it, that Christ cannot be disjoined from his Spirit. Hence I maintain, that his body is not received as dead, or even inactive, disjoined from the grace and power of his Spirit. I shall not occupy much time in proving this statement. Now in what way could the man who is altogether destitute of a living faith and repentance, having nothing of the Spirit of Christ, (699) receive Christ himself? Nay more, as he is entirely under the influence of Satan and sin, how will he be capable of receiving Christ? While, therefore, I acknowledge that there are some who receive Christ truly in the Supper, and yet at the same time unworthily, as is the case with many weak persons, yet I do not admit, that those who bring with them a mere historical faith, (700) without a lively feeling of repentance and faith, receive anything but the sign. For I cannot endure to maim Christ, (701) and I shudder at the absurdity of affirming that he gives himself to be eaten by the wicked in a lifeless state, as it were. Nor does Augustine mean anything else when he says, that the wicked receive Christ merely in the sacrament, which he expresses more clearly elsewhere, when he says that the other Apostles atethe bread — the Lord; but Judas only the bread of the Lord (702)

But here it is objected, that the efficacy of the sacraments does not depend upon the worthiness of men, and that nothing is taken away from the promises of God, or falls to the ground, through the wickedness of men. This I acknowledge, and accordingly I add in express terms, that Christ’s body is presented to the wicked no less than to the good, and this is enough so far as concerns the efficacy of the sacrament and the faithfulness of God. For God does not there represent in a delusive manner, to the wicked, the body of his Son, but presents it in reality; nor is the bread a bare sign to them, but a faithful pledge. As to their rejection of it, that does not impair or alter anything as to the nature of the sacrament.

It remains, that we give a reply to the statement of Paul in this passage. “Paul represents the unworthy as guilty, inasmuch as they do not discern the Lord’s body: it follows, that they receive his body.” I deny the inference; for though they reject it, yet as they profane it and treat it with dishonor when it is presented to them, they are deservedly held guilty; for they do, as it were, cast it upon the ground, and trample it under their feet. Is such sacrilege trivial? Thus I see no difficulty in Paul’s words, provided you keep in view what God presents and holds out to the wicked — not what they receive.

Fr Aidan Kimel says:
22 October 2014 at 9:15 am
I had to chuckle when I read “as others allow themselves, without reason, to pronounce, with a magisterial air, whatever may seem good to them, and to launch out thunderbolts upon every one that mutters anything to the contrary”—Calvin has to be referring to Luther here.

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:47 AM.
Re: Partake Unworthily? [Re: Anthony C.] #52587
Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:53 AM
Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:53 AM
NJ/PA
Anthony C. Offline OP
Enthusiast
Anthony C.  Offline OP
Enthusiast
NJ/PA
So my question is, Why the condemnation? If the sacrament is only active via a living faith between Christ & communicant? Luthers view makes more scriptural sense, in terms of a real presence of Jesus independent of the partaker

Re: Partake Unworthily? [Re: Anthony C.] #52588
Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:03 AM
Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:03 AM
NJ/PA
Anthony C. Offline OP
Enthusiast
Anthony C.  Offline OP
Enthusiast
NJ/PA
Another follow up question based on this article/point:

(((What all agree about, again, is that those who receive the sacrament without faith receive it to their harm. That point, I suggest, is what raises the crucial pastoral question. The question is: since faith is required for the sacrament to do me good, must I know—or at least believe—that I believe (i.e. must I have reflective faith) before I approach the sacrament? If so, then the sacrament is not likely to strengthen those who have weak faith.)))

So, if our benefit is dependent upon our faith, where does Christ fit? Sacramentally speaking.....

https://afkimel.wordpress.com/2014/10/23...the-sacraments/

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:04 AM.
Re: Partake Unworthily? [Re: Anthony C.] #52602
Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:23 AM
Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:23 AM
NJ/PA
Anthony C. Offline OP
Enthusiast
Anthony C.  Offline OP
Enthusiast
NJ/PA

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 25 guests, and 111 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Movinforward86, Micki Bowman, Nigel J, wischnotes, Dutch Michael
928 Registered Users
Shout Box
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
vvowell
Popular Topics(Views)
778,044 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.044s Queries: 15 (0.003s) Memory: 2.8403 MB (Peak: 3.1087 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-07-15 22:56:03 UTC