Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#53155 Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:50 AM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Those who would seem to allow for more contemporary worship styles, and also open to some form of spiritual gifts for today, such as a DA Carson/Wayne Grudem?

Head Honcho
Head Honcho

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Thanks!Would they still be seen as being calvcinists, just ones with some strange notions?

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by JesusFan
Thanks!Would they still be seen as being calvcinists, just ones with some strange notions?
I don't consider them to be Calvinists. A half-truth is no truth. And many of the main proponents of that movement are fraught with serious heresies.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Would you include Dr Grudem/Carson as being calvinists then? Or a John macarthur?

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by JesusFan
Would you include Dr Grudem/Carson as being calvinists then? Or a John macarthur?
Those 3 might be an exception because they are quite solid on doctrinal matters. Carson, however, would be the 'weakest' of the three.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Know DA Carson and Dr Grudem both hold to some form of spiritual giftd still for today, and Grudem sees the gift of prophecy still in operation. His ST was a textbook, but felt that he was very good except on area of the Holy spirit, more charasmatic tone. Macarthur very solid, except that some have issues with his strong lordship salvation and his Dispy views!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I am not sure where I have read it but someone once made a remark that if the New Calvinists are Calvinists then why call themselves New Calvinists and not just Calvinists. Thus, New Calvinism is not the same as Calvinism. ...... scratch1

Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Think that they are more open to music styles, spiritual gifts, more in the mold of "tolerant" Calvinists,, do know that Dr Mohler of the SBC is one, and he is trying to get them back to Calvinistic roots!

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Calvinism is NOT "The Five Points of Calvinism" by definition. Calvinism is a biblical cosmology (worldview) that is a theology of all things that pertain to this life and the next which a sovereign triune God has ordained and providentially brings everything to its intended end. Sanctification is one aspect of Calvinism which is the spiritual growth of a believer in godliness who more and more puts off the world and puts on holiness. The New Calvinist movement, by and large, has little use for biblical sanctification.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Pilgrim, is there a difference between Reformed and Calvinism or they the same thing? As many consider themselves to be Calvinists, so many consider themselves to be Reformed.

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Johan
Pilgrim, is there a difference between Reformed and Calvinism or they the same thing? As many consider themselves to be Calvinists, so many consider themselves to be Reformed.
I've answered this question before, even recently, but it's definitely worth addressing it again. It all comes down to definitions. In the strict historical meaning of "Reformed" a church/individual would not only embrace the biblical doctrines associated with Calvinism (Five Points), but also the sovereignty of God, rejection of worldliness, holiness of life, the Five Solas, etc., but would in addition include church polity and paedobaptism. The church polity aspect is sometimes allowed to be expressed differently although very similarly, e.g., the difference between the Dutch Reformed churches and Presbyterianism. In the looser use of the term "Reformed", which was common a number of years ago, it was understood and applied more generally to include all who embraced simply the "Five Points". On the other hand, there are those who define "Reformed" to be restricted to only the Dutch Reformed churches. Calvinism is sometimes understood and applied in a similar way as Reformed but typically it includes only the Five Points, and praxis (doctrine of sanctification; 3rd use of the law). So, again, it all comes down to one's definition of the terms. Personally, I like to use "Reformed" in the historical comprehensive sense as briefly spelled out above. And I use Calvinism/Calvinist to include all but church polity and paedobaptism.

Now, there is/was an article which I am quite sure I provided a link for some years ago here that referred to a very good article on this subject. It was written, if I'm not mistaken, by a professor of church history who taught at Calvin Seminary in Grand Rapids, MI. I've searched for the link before but I couldn't find it. hairout But, I'll try another search and perhaps it will turn up. IF it does, I'll add it to this reply. grin

Would you believe I found it? claphands

You can find the article here by Richard Muller: How Many Points?

Last edited by Pilgrim; Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:53 AM. Reason: Added article link

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
BigThumbUp

Addict
OP Offline
Addict
They would be more accepting the Calvinistic theology regarding salvation, but not accepting the entire Covenant Theology system than?

Addict
OP Offline
Addict
There are many Baptists who would be either Reformed proper, as in accepting Covenant theology fully, and the Confession of 1689, but also many Baptists that would see themselves as more calvinist, as accepting 5 doctrines of grace, but not a formal Confession of faith...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 55 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,497 Gospel truth