Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,780
Posts54,875
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,864
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:34 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
The When and How of Justification
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:13 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ReformedDisciple #55081 Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:58 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by ReformedDisciple
If I understand correctly, corporate worship and praise are meant to be done exactly as God says explicitly, but in personal praise and worship, we are allowed to be more expressive? <<I'm thinking of our freedom in Christ.
Yes to the first part.... corporate worship is to be in spirit and TRUTH, i.e., nothing is to be done in the formal worship of God which is not specifically set forth by God Himself. There are things which are given in a broad sense, e.g., there is no mandate for the people of God to meet at exactly 9 am EST. There is no regulation as to how many Psalms, Hymns or Spiritual Songs are to be song, or the length of a sermon, etc.

However, in "personal praise" as you have chosen to call it, you are ONLY "free" to do that which God has deemed "good". There is NOTHING that is neutral, i.e., neither good or bad. Everything falls into only 2 categories: good or evil. If it is good, then God has stated so and thus it is proper for a true Christian to say, think or do. But even that is regulated according to the doctrine of Christian Liberty. See these, for examples:
- Christian Liberty by A.W. Pink
- Freedom in Christ by G.I. Williamson
- The Weak and the Strong by John Murray

Anything which is not "good" is sinful and thus is forbidden. Scripture gives some specific examples of those things which are forbidden. And, Scripture also sets forth principles which cover everything else.

2 Corinthians 6:14-18 (ASV) "Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers: for what fellowship have righteousness and iniquity? or what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what portion hath a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement hath a temple of God with idols? for we are a temple of the living God; even as God said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, And touch no unclean thing; And I will receive you, And will be to you a Father, And ye shall be to me sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

Colossians 2:13-23 (ASV) "And you, being dead through your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, you, [I say], did he make alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses; having blotted out the bond written in ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us: and he hath taken it out that way, nailing it to the cross; having despoiled the principalities and the powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day or a new moon or a sabbath day: which are a shadow of the things to come; but the body is Christ's. Let no man rob you of your prize by a voluntary humility and worshipping of the angels, dwelling in the things which he hath seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, and not holding fast the Head, from whom all the body, being supplied and knit together through the joints and bands, increasing with the increase of God. If ye died with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, do ye subject yourselves to ordinances, Handle not, nor taste, nor touch (all which things are to perish with the using), after the precepts and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will-worship, and humility, and severity to the body; [but are] not of any value against the indulgence of the flesh."

1 John 2:15-17 (ASV) "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the vain glory of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever."

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #55082 Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:25 PM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Colossians 2:13-23 (ASV) "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day or a new moon or a sabbath day: which are a shadow of the things to come; but the body is Christ's."
[/quote]

What exactly does this amount to expositionally? (actual word?) giggle

Also, when I refer to private/personal worship, I think what I mean is in reference to music. Do all things to the glory of God, right? So in my choice of music day to day, as I listen, my heart and mind begin to literally direct those lyrics (those that are not in contradiction to Scripture or heretical, as most mainline and mainstream Christianity and Christian music are) toward God. Whether those lyrics are expressing characteristics of God or praising him for, well, basically any reason, really. All this while I'm walking somewhere or going on a jog or working out. In this respect, is there anything wrong? (I think this has, all along, been the main point of my question(s))

ReformedDisciple #55086 Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:44 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
1. The Colossian text, in its most fundamental meaning is a warning to not be convinced by anyone that you must adhere to the OT dietary laws or celebrate the OT festivals in order to be saved and/or to be deemed a "good Christian". FYI, the phrase "or a sabbath day" is actually plural in the original and refers to the various 'sabbath days' of the OT and NOT to the Sabbath Day which is inextricably bound to the 10 Commandments and is based both upon creation and redemption and is thus binding upon all mankind.

2. Music may consist of both lyrics and tune or just the tune. Music which Scripture enjoins must be in accord with the divine attributes of God, aka: to glorify God. It is a serious error to embrace the modern concept of that command; to glorify God which has been turned upside down and now it is said to mean whatever an individual feels (emotionally) or intends (purpose), which God will always accept. This is blasphemous on its face and a violation of the 2nd and 3rd Commandments. Man has no warrant to define what God accepts, e.g., God will accept something offered if it is done sincerely, etc. Most forms of contemporary music are odious to God.

Again, in the Calvinism and the Reformed Faith > Ecclesiology section, see the list of articles under the "Music" heading for a good start on what a Christian should be embracing, both in their personal sanctification and in corporate worship.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #55090 Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 AM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
2. Music may consist of both lyrics and tune or just the tune. Music which Scripture enjoins must be in accord with the divine attributes of God, aka: to glorify God. It is a serious error to embrace the modern concept of that command; to glorify God which has been turned upside down and now it is said to mean whatever an individual feels (emotionally) or intends (purpose), which God will always accept. This is blasphemous on its face and a violation of the 2nd and 3rd Commandments. Man has no warrant to define what God accepts, e.g., God will accept something offered if it is done sincerely, etc. Most forms of contemporary music are odious to God.

Again, in the Calvinism and the Reformed Faith > Ecclesiology section, see the list of articles under the "Music" heading for a good start on what a Christian should be embracing, both in their personal sanctification and in corporate worship.

I have to admit, this offends my human sensibilities... which probably means there's something to what you're telling me here comfort

Thank God I have His Spirit to give me the wisdom to see that! bingo

Thank you for pointing this out. I think I'll continue to listen to what I listen to for now, for the content is still better than other trash I could be (and want to be, for I still like some secular music, but try to shy away from it) putting into my ears. But I now will surely be looking into this new light of information. Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 77 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,390 Gospel truth