Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,917
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#55642 Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:37 AM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
I get asked this question from time to time and I want to be able to give a good biblical answer.

"If my job requires me to work the occasional Sunday out of necessity. Am I sinning by working?
They try to accommodate my not wanting to work on a Sunday, but are not able to do so all the time."

Tom

Tom #55644 Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:47 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
The "standard" reply according to Reformed Standards, which I believe are rightly echoing the biblical teaching is that it is allowed and even encouraged by God to do 1) works of necessity, and 2) works of mercy. In some of the more 'strict' Calvinist churches, if there are any now who knows?, it is forbidden for someone to take a bus or taxi to church if no other transportation was available. [Linked Image], just take a moment and THINK about this type of Pharisaical thinking... would it be so inconvenient to offer to help such an individual out by giving them a ride in THEIR vehicle rather then condemn the person who wanted to get to their church to worship God but not getting an offer for a ride? The answer of course is given by the Lord of the Sabbath, "Whose neighbor are you?", not "Who is my neighbor?" evilgrin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #55645 Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:04 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim

While I agree you here. However, I am trying to think how that applies to my questions. It talked about how the person is required to work the occasional Sunday, when they can not accommodate him.

Tom

Tom #55646 Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:10 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
My response did address the person's question. Again, the biblical teaching is that one is allowed to do works of necessity and/or mercy. The "necessity" category isn't what is required by the owner of the business, but rather what is required for life... e.g., feeding animals, providing healthcare, medical supplies, hospice, shelter and food for the homeless, poor, security jobs, etc. Only one employer I have had over many years was willing, albeit grudgingly, to respect my refusal to work on Sunday. Years ago, there used to be "Blue Laws" whereby retail stores were forbidden to be open for business on Sunday. However, the local drugstores were allowed to be open on Sundays (if more than one they typically scheduled themselves so that they alternated Sundays between them) but non-essential items had to be covered with a sheet and not sold. In today's world, rarely will you find this type of thing, although you can still find individual businesses, typically those in a downtown district, that close on Sunday.

It ain't 'easy' to be a Christian in the world. Of course, it never has been easy. (2Tim 3:12)

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom #55649 Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:21 AM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim
To be honest, I still am a little confused at your response.
My reply to the person would be because your job requires you to work the occasional Sunday, they would be best to find another job that accomadates them.
Yet. I am not sure that is what you are saying.

One of the things I have noticed in the past few years where I work. Is because we are a growing company, more and more people are required to work on Sundays.
I have talked to about 3-4 professing Christian there who on the last year had their work week include Sundays.
Talking to them, they definitely are not happy about it, but don't see an alternative.
I am in a position, that if they required me to work on a Sunday, I can afford to retire and I would if I had to.
Tom

Last edited by Tom; Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:30 AM.
Tom #55652 Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:02 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Tom
My reply to the person would be because your job requires you to work the occasional Sunday, they would be best to find another job that accomadates them.
Yet. I am not sure that is what you are saying.
That is exactly what I am saying... with the exemption of labor that is of mercy, e.g., working in a hospital, rest home, law enforcement, fireman, EMT, food banks, mission work, etc. But having a typical job at a factory, retail outlet, etc. does NOT fall under God's definition of "necessity" or "mercy". Where your particular employment or the individual(s) you are having the conversation with fit you will have to decide. What I would caution you to not do is to fall into the "situation ethics" type of thinking. Being a Christian is among many things following God's teachings and law and resting upon His providence to provide for whatever needs you have. ALL THINGS are by His decree and thus by pray and supplication you are to make known your individual needs (not wants) and your desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus and to provide the wisdom and will to do whatever He desires for your life for His glory.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #55653 Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:46 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim
Thankyou, that was very clear.
You mentioned "situational ethics", which over the years you have mentioned many times before. As I think about this, I am reminded of a verse that has become very comforting to me. Romans 8:28.

“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

The fact that I believe we are to keep the Lord's Day holy; and if a job requires a Christian to work on Sundays, can't play into "situational ethics". I hope I have worded that clearly.

Thanks again
Tom

Tom #55655 Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Yep, and J.I. Packer's article here is most informative: Situation Ethics.

The following articles show the unanimous agreement on the issue of the Sabbath and its practice across denominational lines. They are represented by Protestant Reformed, Church of England, Southern Presbyterian and Baptist.

Remembering the Lord's Day - David J. Engelsma
Sabbath: A Day to Keep - J.C. Ryle
The Christian Sabbath: Its Nature, Design and Proper Observance - Robert L. Dabney
The Holy Sabbath - A.W. Pink

I dare say that one would be hard pressed to find a church or pastor in our day that would be in agreement, never mind actually preach and teach the doctrine as held by the true Church throughout its history, especially since the Protestant Reformation, although I would like to think that there are actually some men who hold to the Fourth Commandment as a creation ordinance and perpetually binding moral law of God which is to be observed by all, especially by those who profess to be disciples of Christ, Who gave that law along with the other nine on Mt. Sinai.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Anthony C.), 154 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,509,838 Gospel truth