Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#55727 Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:58 AM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
I had a quick search on the Highway to find out if this has been discussed before. I was surprised to find "No Matches".

I know several (supposed) Christians, who are strangely drawn to Christian relics. One in particular is so enamored with them, he has personally taken holidays to various destinations, usually in Britain and Europe, to see these relics. He is completely convinced that they are the real thing. For example, I believe his latest was to see the "Spear of Destiny" , which according to legend is the spear that was thrust in Jesus side after His death. According to him he has done a lot of home work and he believes there is proof that the legends about this spear are true. For example, he claims that every time an army carried this spear into battle they won.
This is of course just one example the told me about these relics.
I had thought that these relics were just held in high esteem in Roman Catholic circles; but apparently not.
To top it off, at a local college in the city I live he teaches from time to time on relics and other things such as the Scythian Empire, which he is very fascinated with. On the later, he says he has traveled to see noted historians about them and they agreed with his conclusions, that are glossed over in some history books.

Personally speaking, I believe these things should not be considered true by any Christian and I also think that there is a dangerous superstitious part to these things as well.

I would however, like to find out more about the reasons why we should steer clear of these superstitious relics. Assuming my thoughts are correct on these things, either from Scripture directly or good articles.

I have found out one thing about this particular person. He gets upset, when he thinks you are even a bit discerning about his claims.
He used to tell me a lot about things like this, but he has fairly recently stopped; which is probably just as well.

Tom

Tom #55732 Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:56 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
1. It is perfectly legitimate to have an interest in so-called 'relics' IF that interest stems from a curiosity in archaeology, or history, or world religions, etc., in other words, an academic pursuit.

2. It is perfectly illegitimate to have ANY affection for or to attribute ANY significance to ANYTHING which is purported to be connected with God or an aid to reaching God, or added to the worship of God or ANY other false god, worship, etc. ALL comes under the rubric of idolatry (cf. the Second Commandment).

There are lots of examples in both the OT and NT (cf. Gen 35:4; Num 33:52; Ex 20:3-6,23; 1Sam 15:23; Eze 6:1-14; 7:19; Mic 1:1-9; Rom 1:22-23; 1Cor 8:4-5; 10:19; Rev 9:20; et al). Many 'relics' have been allegedly discovered over the years, e.g., pieces of wood from the cross Christ was allegedly crucified on, the Shroud of Turin, Noah's Ark, the "Spear of Destiny", etc., etc., ad nauseum. All such claims of authenticity are irrelevant. What is most important that all who name the name of Christ avoid such things which serve only to draw one's mind, heart and/or soul from God Himself. NO item has any inherent power nor worth over anything that has been made by man or said to have created by God.

Isaiah 45:20-23 (KJV) "20 Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, ye [that are] escaped of the nations: they have no knowledge that set up the wood of their graven image, and pray unto a god [that] cannot save. 21 Tell ye, and bring [them] near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? [who] hath told it from that time? [have] not I the LORD? and [there is] no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; [there is] none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else. 23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth [in] righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear."

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom #55734 Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:50 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Thank you Pilgrim
That was along the lines I was thinking about.
Like you, I do not think there is anything wrong with an academic historical pursuit of Christian relics.
Unfortunately, although there definitely is some academic historical curiosity. Unfortunately, I think there is a whole lot more than that going on, particularly in the person I mentioned.

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 54 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,497 Gospel truth