Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#6141 Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:15 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
The 1689 LBC (London Baptist Confession) Chapter 22, Sections 7,8 say the following about the Sabbath:<br><br>7. As it is the law of nature, that in general a proportion of time, by God's appointment, be set apart for the worship of God, so by his Word, in a positive moral, and perpetual commandment, binding all men, in all ages, he hath particularly appointed one day in seven for a sabbath to be kept holy unto him, which from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ was the last day of the week, and from the resurrection of Christ was changed into the first day of the week, which is called the Lord's day: and is to be continued to the end of the world as the Christian Sabbath, the observation of the last day of the week being abolished. <br>( Exodus 20:8; 1 Corinthians 16:1, 2; Acts 20:7; Revelation 1:10 ) <br><br>8. The sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering their common affairs aforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all day, from their own works, words and thoughts, about their worldly employment and recreations, but are also taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy. <br>( Isaiah 58:13; Nehemiah 13:15-22; Matthew 12:1-13 )<br><br>I have a feeling that the WCF would read similar in that regard.<br><br>It would seem from this reading (particularly the word "recreation") that on the sabbath, we shouldn't even do things like take our family on a picnic.<br>Would you go as far as what these confessions say on the sabbath? Why or why not?<br><br>Tom<br><br>

Tom #6142 Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:08 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I can see no biblical warrant for changing the Sabbath from sat to sun (I am not a SDA)<br><br>No one keeps the Sabbath - some go to church 2 or 3 times on Sunday , but thats only a few hours not the entire day.<br>It was kept for us by Him.<br><br>howard

#6143 Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:51 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Howard,

Just curious if you have ever read much concerning the Sabbath and the traditional view that holds that Sunday is the Lord's Day Sabbath of the Church? There are quite a number of articles, books, etc., around including literally thousands of sermons. But I'm really curious whether you have read Francis Nigel Lee's book (since you seem to favor his writings and even have offered copies of one of his booklets on baptism)?

Read his book here: The Covenantal Sabbath.

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom #6144 Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:47 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Tom, I know that lots off people have a problem to give the Lords day to the Lord. This day was meant for us to grow in our believe. To come closer to our Lord. To seek His will, to understand . If we can not keep the Lord's day for the Lord than what do we want to do in His Kingdom there it will always be the Lord's day.

Willemina
beggar at His Throne
Pilgrim #6145 Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:27 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Thanks Pilgrim. I shall endeavour to read that at a later date. <br><br>I never heard of F N Lee until about a month ago when Joe recommended his critique of The Reformers and their stepchildren which was good I thought.<br><br>I have read a bit over the years but there is still nothing (as yet) to convince me , and many christian friends about the change from sat to sun in the Bible itself.<br><br>As to "keeping" the Sabbath (Lords Day)- It simply cannot be done IMHO. 24 hours is a long time.<br><br>howard

#6146 Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:09 AM
I was reading Walter Chantry's Call the Sabbath a Delight some months ago. At one part he draws a parallel between the tithe and the sabbath. Then it struck me. There are 168 hours in a week and 24 hours in a day. Subtract 8 hours of sleep leaves 16 hours...a tithe of a week!<br>

Soli Deo Gloria
John Schultz
[Linked Image]
#6147 Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:25 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]As to "keeping" the Sabbath (Lords Day)- It simply cannot be done IMHO. 24 hours is a long time.</font><hr></blockquote><p>Hmmmmm [Linked Image] and so is this impossible to be done:<blockquote>1 Peter 1:15-16 (ASV) "but like as he who called you is holy, be ye yourselves also holy in all manner of living; because it is written, Ye shall be holy; for I am holy."<br><br>Matthew 5:48 (KJV) "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."</blockquote>Not 24 hours, Howard, but 24/7 for as long as you draw a breath. There are many things which God requires of all men, not just those who are His children by adoption, which are impossible to be done, e.g., repentance and faith for unbelievers and living perfectly in that faith which a child of God was given. Keeping the Sabbath for 24 hours is child's play compared to what is required in the other 9 Commandments, which are to be observed always. Lack of perfection in keeping the Law is no excuse for exorcising it completely and thereby deliberately breaking it. We are not saved by keeping the law. But we cannot be saved if we consciously and deliberately break it. (Jam 2:26; Rom 6; 1 Cor 6:9, 10; et al)<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
jfschultz #6148 Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:46 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I am sure what you are saying is a great thought, but I can't make the numbers jive.<br><br>New Math?

#6149 Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:14 AM
Persnickety Presbyterian
Persnickety Presbyterian
Basically, 16 waking hours on the Sabbath is roughly 1/10th of 168 weekly hours. Hence, a tithe of the total hours given each week. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile[/img]

Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.
Pilgrim #6150 Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:43 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Good one Pilgrim . When you said 24/7 , it reminded me of what a chap said on another forum ages ago.<br><br>It goes something like this : If you do not do on the Lords Day what you do the on the other 6 days then you are a hypocrite.<br><br>Tis quite an interesting thought.<br><br>Mean while , I can see no biblical warrant to change from Saturday to Sunday . Who can ? I've yet to meet him/her.<br><br>howard

#6151 Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:39 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:
Mean while , I can see no biblical warrant to change from Saturday to Sunday . Who can? I've yet to meet him/her.

Far be it from me to even try, Howard. I've learned years ago not to spend valuable time trying to convince someone who lives by the adage: "Don't confuse me with the facts. I've got my mind all made up." shrug

In reply to:
If you do not do on the Lords Day what you do the on the other 6 days then you are a hypocrite.

And I would say to that "chap", whether you keep the Sabbath of the Lord's Day holy or not, you decide. But for me and my house, we shall obey God. We shall no differently reverence and observe the Sabbath than we do any of the other nine commandments of the Lord.

Isaiah 58:13-14 (KJV) If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, [from] doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking [thine own] words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken [it].

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #6152 Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:45 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I fail hopelessly in honouring God EVERY day Pilgrim , not just Sunday.<br><br>My mind is quite open re the day change . I fail to see how you could be dogmatic about it.<br><br>howard

Pilgrim #6153 Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:53 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Pilgrim<br>I agree totally with you that Sunday is the Lord's Day, but I have wrestled for years with knowing whether whether we would even know if we are keeping it holy. By what standards do we use? In in my spirit I realize that it is one of the commandments that are still binding upon the elect, but don't the others seem a little more clear?<br><br>This may not belong on this post, but if not, could you answer on another. I did stop working on Sunday's as I was too exhausted after 50 hours anyway, and I felt I wanted to honor Christ at least in that way. But what else do we do, and is it a matter of conscience, yet if that is the case, thou shalt not murder would then be a matter of conscience. Obviously I need help here.<br><br>Linda

#6154 Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:55 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:
I fail hopelessly in honouring God EVERY day Pilgrim , not just Sunday.

My mind is quite open re the day change . I fail to see how you could be dogmatic about it.

[Linked Image] I guess it's just that I'm a Christian who believes the Word of God. Why anyone would ignore the 4th Commandment, or how anyone could possibly reject the 4th Commandment is beyond me. I've read the hermeneutical gymnastics of the Antinomians, NCT'ers, etc., and it is amazing how some men with marvelous educations can be so ignorant? But, something else I learned years ago Howard; it's not always a head problem, but it is always a heart problem. And some heart problems not attended to and corrected can be fatal.

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #6155 Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:58 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
It is the day change that I am not dogmatic about Pilgrim .<br><br>howard

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,509,872 Gospel truth