Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,780
Posts54,875
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,864
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:34 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
The When and How of Justification
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:13 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#6443 Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
This may be covered in another thread somewhere, and if so, please direct me there, but if baptism does not save someone, than why are infants baptised as if it does save them?

#6444 Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:20 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In the meanwhile, do a search here for "baptism", or "infant baptism" and you will find LOADS of discussions that have taken place. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img] This isn't to discourage you from asking the question or anyone answering it. But just in case you would like something to do to occupy your time waiting. [Linked Image]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
that is exactlythe kinda thing I was asking for actually. lol But I still want people to answer just for kicks.

#6446 Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:42 PM
Addict
Addict
Hello Kalled2Preach,<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"] if baptism does not save someone, than why are infants baptised as if it does save them? </font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>How would you answer the same question when it concerns the baptism of children after they make a credible profession of faith (or anyone else for that matter) ?<br><br>Sincerely in Christ,<br><br>~Jason<br><br>

#6447 Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:25 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey I have a good question, that you can tackle alone the same line. Why do many Bapstist dedicate their babies in the church? I seems to be almost the same.<br><br>Oh, in discussing this in the past. You will be amazed the people in a church who thought the dedication had some sort of spiritual effect. <br><br>(and Yes I attend a Baptist church)<br>

Veteran
Veteran
The Baptist child dedications I've seen seem to focus more on the parents than on the children. I sisn't realize that a substantial number think it has anything to with salvation!<br><br>When I went to the PCUSA church, the minister would use Matthew 19:13-15 during baptisms. He then would say that these children were entering into the Body of Christ. But I hear that the PCA churches don't say it this way.

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
Journeyman
Journeyman
I Sorry! I did not mean a substantial number. I was just amazed on the individuals they I talked too, (who were part of the core of a local church) that I was refering too. I guess a survey in a couple of local churches might be in order to see how the local congregations view it is in order.<br><br><br>

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Whats this "baptist child dedication " all about then ?<br><br>Just add water and .................................<br><br><br>howard

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Very nicely put forth Jason.<br><br>howard

#6452 Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:45 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I was a Baptist for 20 years, 30 of those years under the doctrines of grace. There is an exellent book written by a former Baptist Preacher who set out to prove the fallacy of infant Baptism yet in the process grasped the message of the covenant. It is called "The Children of the Promise", by Robert Booth. I enjoyed reading it seeing that it was from a Baptist with no mission to "prove" his side.

#6453 Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
That is a good little book Linda .<br><br>It says of the author - " In his ten -year ministry, he had put off studying the topic of baptism. Then the Baptist pastor felt his heart sink as he began to see how scripture challenged his long held beliefs. What would prompt him to change his views - and find great encouragement in the doctrine of infant baptism ? "<br><br>First published in 1995, it is recommended by Jay E Adams, Douglas Wilson, Greg Bahnsen, Walter C Hibbard , Kenneth L Gentry Jnr and Vem S Poythress.<br><br>(How many baptists do you know who have "put-off" the study of baptism ...)<br><br>howard

#6454 Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:07 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
The question is not how many Baptists put off the study of baptism, but how many pastors put off the study of......<br><br>It is a great book in that it is does not have the spirit of judgement, but rather one of entreaty.

#6455 Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Because, mostly, the people baptizing them do think it saves them. Sad, eh?<br>If that is the case, then the theology is wrong.<br>If the case is that the baptism ceremony is done w/ "identification" in mind, then they are only being baptized b/c they are being identified as being in the body of Christ b/c they are born into a Christian family. This, of course, doesn't guarantee anyone's salvation in that family, it only serves as a symbol that the child was born into a Christian family and therefore identifies himself w/ the family's beliefs - until he reaches the age of accountability when he can decide for himself. I guess it could be a she, too.<br>Later,

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 77 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,390 Gospel truth