Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6696 Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:39 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
So far the list I have compiled is as follows. Any of these distinguished men not 5 point Calvinists? Just checking. Do any of you know what F.F. Bruce held to? He seemed to be almost "secretive" in his theology. Thanks for all the replies. Heres the list.

Louis Berkhof
J. Oliver Buswell
Charles Hodge
Wayne Grudem
Robert L. Reymond
B.B. Warfield
J. Gresham Machen
Francis Turreten
John Gill
W.G.T. Shedd
John Murray
William Hendricksen
Tremper H. Longman III
Stephen Charnock
Dr. Vern Poythress
Dr. John Skilton
Dr. James White
Dr. D.A. Carson
Harold Hohener
John Feingberg
Paul Feingberg
Douglas Moo,
John Frame
James Montgomery Boice
Fred Malone
Thomas Schriener
Thomas Nettles
Dr. John Piper
Gordon Clark
R. C. Sproul (presbyterian)
R. C. Sproul, Jr. (presbyterian)
John Piper (baptist)
James Kennedy (presbyterian)
John MacArthur (independent)
Thomas Nettles (baptist)
R. Albert Mohler (baptist)
Dr. Jay E. Adams (apc)
David King
Michael Horton(URC)
Dr. W. Robert Godfrey
Sinclair Ferguson
Mark E. Dever
O. Palmer Robertson
Joel Beeke
Michael Haykin
John A. Broadus
William Carey
John L. Dagg
Andrew Fuller
Benjamin Keach
Basil Manly, Sr.
Patrick Hues Mell
Asahel Nettleton
Charles Spurgeon
Augustus H. Strong (moderate Calvinist concerning election)
Isaac Watts
Augustine
John Bunyan
John Calvin
John Owen
Jonathan Edwards
Thomas Manton
Thomas Watson
Stephen Charnock
R.L. Dabny
Robert Haldane
A.W. Pink
John Gertsner
Sinclair Ferguson

#6697 Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:25 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
You probably should put Martin Luther on your list. Also Martyn Lloyd-Jones. If you desire I can send you an Excel Sheet of one of my Libraries (some I do not have cataloged yet). You will be able to tell which ones are Calvinists by the Publishers. Some are Greek/Hebrew resources, and even some Arminian, but those should be apparent., et. al.

Reformed and Always Reforming,
#6698 Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:34 AM
Veteran
Veteran
James P. Boyce<br>Ernest Reisinger is a Calvinist<br>I know Jerry Bridges is Reformed, but I'm not certain how many points he is<br><br><br>John MacArthur is Baptist, but he calls his church Community Church (unless fredman knows something I don't know about!)<br><br>A few lists you will want to check out. Great list so far though!<br><br>http://faith.propadeutic.com/authors/refcont.html<br>http://faith.propadeutic.com/authors/refschol.html<br><br>Make sure to look at the authors that are listed as "Reformed in other categories" too<br><br>These two have both Reformed and non-Reformed:<br><br>http://faith.propadeutic.com/authors/reformation.html<br>http://faith.propadeutic.com/authors/postref.html

Last edited by sbc_and_reformed; Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:42 AM.

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
#6699 Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:08 AM
Permanent Resident
Permanent Resident
How about Martyn Lloyd-Jones. <br><br>Whether Bruce is Reformed I do not know, but he has written some excellent commentaries that do not disservice the Reformed. <br><br>There are many other Reformed theologians teaching at our seminaries that are not listed, but its impossible to list everyone. Wouldn't you sy those like MacArthur and Mohler are sympathetic to Calvinsim, but are not Reformed?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
#6700 Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:23 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
By Reformed theologians, do you mean only trained, theologians proper or important reformed writers/preachers/pastors?<br><br>How about Jerry Bridges? Nathaniel Ranow? John Bunyon? Francis Schaeffer? <br><br>Also, would all consider D. James Kennedy reformed? Sometimes I listen to him and have to just shake my head and wonder. . .

Trust the past to God's mercy, the present to God's love and the future to God's providence." - St. Augustine
Hiraeth
Veteran
Veteran
Why would you say MacArthur and Mohler are not Reformed?<br>

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
Permanent Resident
Permanent Resident
They are calvinistic in their soteriology, but being Reformed is more than just that. Besides infant baptism, MacArthur is a dispensationalist which poosess directly the Reformed historic position of the Covenant of Works and Covenant of Grace. I don't know as much about Mohler except he is highly regarded and is President of a SBC seminary. Again being SBC and having a solid reputation within Reformed circles are telling me that he is calvinistic but again not Reformed. <br><br>

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
In reply to:
[color:"blue"]They are calvinistic in their soteriology, but being Reformed is more than just that. Besides infant baptism, MacArthur is a dispensationalist which poosess directly the Reformed historic position of the Covenant of Works and Covenant of Grace. .

While I would agree with you that being Reformed is more than just 5 points, most when they say Reformed they mean are you Reformed in your soteriology. This is the basic inference. I must also point out that all Prebys do not agree on every issue of eschatology (A-Mil, Post-Mil, and even some Dispys) or even baptism for that matter. Thus, with your definition none could be Reformed accept--well that really was not explained in your post. Remember part of the Reformation is to be always be reforming and this I believe we can say of MacArthur and Mohler and thus we would need to say they are Reformed. Everyone is growing in Reformation theology if the are truly Reformed.

Veteran
Veteran
Good points, Joe.<br><br>

Old Hand
Old Hand
Hi Joe,<br><br>What about a man like D. James Kennedy? I would imagine that, were you to ask him, he would affirm all 5 points and yet when you listen to him preach or present the gospel, he presents a "decisional" invitation, much like that of Billy Graham.<br><br>This is a sincere question, with regard to consistency as necessity.

Trust the past to God's mercy, the present to God's love and the future to God's providence." - St. Augustine
Hiraeth
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Joe<br><br>You could include Luther on that list (soteriology speaking of course), unless of course you believe what Lutherans say about the beliefs of Martin Luther.<br><br>Tom

Tom #6707 Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:06 PM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Tom, <br><br>Luther and the Lutherans are very much different. Bondage of the Will is a wonderful book, not written by Lutherans, but Luther..

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Joe-<br><br>Is this excel sheet books that you have in your personal library? If so, I would like a copy of it. I'm a book junkie and always looking for good reads. Thanks<br><br>tj

#6709 Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:55 PM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
You have mail.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Received! Thanks Joe. <br><br>Oh yeah and disregard the PM I just sent you about the wrong email address. Spoke too soon. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/rolleyes.gif" alt="rolleyes" title="rolleyes[/img]<br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 60 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,484 Gospel truth