Donations for the month of October

We have received a total of "$25" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,089
Posts52,582
Members949
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,837
Tom 3,875
chestnutmare 3,042
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,803
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 24
Pilgrim 21
John_C 3
Recent Posts
Video Making the Rounds
by Pilgrim. Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:49 PM
The Truth Behind the Pope's Encyclical on So-Called Climate Change
by ATulipNotADaisy. Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:31 AM
Threats from Democrats
by Tom. Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:47 PM
Real Repentance ~ Charles Spurgeon
by Pilgrim. Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:24 AM
Real Repentance ~ Charles Spurgeon
by Rick Bates. Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:07 PM
Republican and the Poor
by John_C. Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:28 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
“Physician of Souls” by Peter Masters #7266
Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:40 AM
Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:40 AM
Kelowna, British Columbia, Can...
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
I was recently reading a fellow Calvinist’s (Dan) arguments against an Arminian on the subject of salvation at the follow URL: http://pub54.ezboard.com/fdiscussingreformationfrm1 on page 5 of the “I was raised a Baptist. Does that count?” thread.
In the thread he used Peter Master’s book “Physician of the Souls”, as his main source.

However, the more I read the thread, if I understand it correctly; it doesn’t seem like the Calvinist position at all. But it says it is the position that the WCF, the 1689 BCoF, and of the English Puritans (at least) and Historical Baptists take on the subject. Apparently the book also says the “all at once” view is the recent interloper, having been popularized almost single-handedly (and extraordinarily successfully) by the normally excellent John Murray 50 years ago in “Redemption, Accomplished and Applied”. “Physicians of Souls” carries a critique of Murray’s view.

Peter Masters book “Physicians of Souls” has the stages of conversion as followed:

1. Conception (initial regeneration)
2. Awakening and Conviction (paired events)
3. Repentance and Faith (paired events
4. Justification and (conscious) new birth (paired events)
5. Assurance

Peter Master’s book “Physician of Souls” is a book that a few Calvinist friends have recommended to me in the past, but now I am not all that certain that I want to read it.

Any thoughts on this?

Tom

Re: “Physician of Souls” by Peter Masters [Re: Tom] #7267
Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:50 PM
Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:50 PM
NH, USA
Pilgrim Offline

Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho
NH, USA
Tom,

I have no time nor desire to visit yet another discussion where you have gotten yourself involved! giggle And, I don't have Peter Master's book you mentioned, so I can't reference that either so as to make comment on what he allegedly wrote. But what I can tell you about the use of the word "regeneration" is that it is true that the older Reformers did sometimes give regeneration a broader meaning than what we do today. At times they saw regeneration as including conversion, while we restrict it to that "making alive" of the soul that must precede conversion. If one understands the intention of the author, then I see no problem nor contradiction. Personally, I believe the Scripture's definition of regeneration to be that which is commonly recognized and used today; i.e., in a narrow sense of the Spirit's bringing forth the new birth.

As for Murray being credited for being the one who is responsible for using regeneration in the narrow sense, I seriously doubt the verity of that statement. Many theologians and preachers long before Murray used regeneration in the narrower sense. Methinks someone has their history a bit skewed. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/rolleyes.gif" alt="rolleyes" title="rolleyes[/img]

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Re: “Physician of Souls” by Peter Masters [Re: Pilgrim] #7268
Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:52 PM
Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:52 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim

I thought I would mention that thread because I thought maybe it would give a better sense of the context than I can give here. I am not necessarily asking you to get involved in that particular conversation.
I had not heard of this other position before; perhaps it is because I have learned a lot of what I know from this forum.
One thing I found a little odd about that particular thread, is nobody else of Reformed persuasion waded into give their view.

Can you give an example of theologians before Murray that took regeneration in the narrow sense?

Tom

Re: “Physician of Souls” by Peter Masters [Re: Tom] #7269
Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:24 PM
Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:24 PM
NH, USA
Pilgrim Offline

Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho
NH, USA
In reply to:
Can you give an example of theologians before Murray that took regeneration in the narrow sense?

A.A. Hodge, Charles Hodge, B.B. Warfield, Robert Dabney, Jonathan Edwards, John Owen, Charles Spurgeon, etc., etc., grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Re: “Physician of Souls” by Peter Masters [Re: Pilgrim] #7270
Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:23 PM
Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:23 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim

Thanks for these names, if you know of any articles on this subject by any of these people, please point me in that dirrection.

Tom

Re: “Physician of Souls” by Peter Masters [Re: Pilgrim] #7271
Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:51 AM
Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:51 AM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim
Just a minor point, I think you misread (or perhaps I am misunderstand you?) something from my post when you said: "As for Murray being credited for being the one who is responsible for using regeneration in the narrow sense, I seriously doubt the verity of that statement."

It doesn't say "who is responsible", it says "made popular".
The book "Physician of the Souls" seems to recognize that some taught the narrow sence, but until Murray it was the popular position.

Just so you know, I am inclined to lean towards the narrow view myself, because it fits with the soteriology I have learned from studying.
But I have to admit that there is a part of me that isn't completely confident in that knowledge.
But I am wondering if this is one of the issues that I should be spending a lot of time on?

Tom

Re: “Physician of Souls” by Peter Masters [Re: Tom] #7272
Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:30 AM
Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:30 AM
NH, USA
Pilgrim Offline

Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho
NH, USA
In reply to:
It doesn't say "who is responsible", it says "made popular".

Okay...... so Murray is being credited with being responsible for making that definition popular! laugh So, what's the difference? Regardless of that minor point, the inference is fallacious as there were myriad men who believed and taught the "narrow" definition of regeneration long before John Murray ever was born. One would be hard pressed to find a theologian or preacher of the 19th century using regeneration in the broader sense.

But now you have my curiosity awakened as to WHY is Peter Masters making such a big deal out of the definition of regeneration??? I would sincerely hope that he too hasn't been bitten by the "hyper-covenantal" bug and it is being expressed in this way; i.e., making regeneration a "process" which one may fall from, etc.?? Can you provide any details as to the real reason he is wanting people to return to a definition once used but gradually was abandoned for a more biblically accurate one; distinguishing regeneration and conversion?

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Re: “Physician of Souls” by Peter Masters [Re: Pilgrim] #7273
Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:44 PM
Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:44 PM
Philadelphia, PA
carlos Offline
Addict
carlos  Offline
Addict
Philadelphia, PA
In reply to:
the inference is fallacious as there were myriad men who believed and taught the "narrow" definition of regeneration long before John Murray ever was born.

AMEN to that. Here is a quote from Charles Hodge(1797-1878) for Tom.

By a consent almost universal the word regeneration is now used to designate, not the whole work of sanctification, nor the first stages of that work comprehended in conversion, much less justification or any mere external change of state, but the instantaneous change from spiritual death to spiritual life. Regeneration, therefore, is a spiritual resurrection; the beginning of a new life. Sometimes the word expresses the act of God. God regenerates. Sometimes it designates the subjective effect of his act. The sinner is regenerated. He becomes a new creature. He is born again. And this is his regeneration. These two applications of the word are so allied as not to produce confusion. The nature of regeneration is not explained in the Bible further than the account therein given of its author, God, in the exercise of the exceeding greatness of his power; its subject, the whole soul; and its effects, spiritual life, and all consequent holy acts and states. Its metaphysical nature is left a mystery. It is not the province of either philosophy or theology to solve that mystery. It is, however, the duty of the theologian to examine the various theories concerning the nature of this saving change, and to reject all such as are inconsistent with the Word of God.
(Systematic Theology,
http://www.dabar.org/Theology/Hodge/HodgeVIII/P3_C15.htm#s1)

in Christ,
Carlos

"Let all that mind...the peace and comfort of their own souls, wholly apply themselves to the study of Jesus Christ, and him crucified"(Flavel)
Re: “Physician of Souls” by Peter Masters [Re: Pilgrim] #7274
Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:15 PM
Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:15 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim

That is a good question to which I don't have the answer to, however if you are curious enough you may find the answer to that in the thread I mentioned in my initial post.
http://pub54.ezboard.com/fdiscussingreformationfrm1
Dan is the person that brought up Peter Masters.

Again, I am not trying to drag you into anything; I am just trying to get to the truth of the matter. If you do go to that URL, you will see that Peter Masters uses some of the same Reformed people you mention to show the elongated view.

I am wondering if this particular issue is worth the amount of time it is taking me to find out the truth.

Tom

Re: “Physician of Souls” by Peter Masters [Re: Tom] #7275
Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:30 PM
Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:30 PM
Philadelphia, PA
carlos Offline
Addict
carlos  Offline
Addict
Philadelphia, PA
In reply to:
I am wondering if this particular issue is worth the amount of time it is taking me to find out the truth.

I would suggest reading the comments by Hodge that I posted to you, and also go to the Link. It's a great discussion on 'Regeneration'. I believe there you will find a great presentation on the "truth", and He makes a case for the importance of it.

There are two other articles here:
Regeneration & Conversion
Regeneration_AW_pink

in Christ,
Carlos

"Let all that mind...the peace and comfort of their own souls, wholly apply themselves to the study of Jesus Christ, and him crucified"(Flavel)

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 65 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulOR, godrulez, Wood, David Clarke, CharlieFry
949 Registered Users
Shout Box
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
1,147,227 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.050s Queries: 15 (0.003s) Memory: 2.9017 MB (Peak: 3.2015 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2020-10-21 15:54:04 UTC