Donations for the month of December

We have received a total of $140 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,546
Posts50,755
Members921
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,309
Tom 3,319
chestnutmare 2,866
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,748
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,057
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 26
Pilgrim 19
Recent Posts
Christmas
by chestnutmare. Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:13 PM
Nothing New Under the Sun?
by PerpetualLearner. Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:25 PM
Sexual harrassment fraud
by PerpetualLearner. Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:09 AM
Christian Leaders Behaving Badly
by Anthony C.. Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 PM
Israel
by Pilgrim. Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:21 AM
Classical vs.Presuppositional Apologetics
by Pilgrim. Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:45 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#7909 - Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:15 PM Who departed?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Westminster Confession of Faith, Chapter XXVIII,<br>Of Baptism:<br>III. Dipping of the person into the water is not necessary; but baptism is rightly administered by pouring, or sprinkling water upon the person.[10]<br>10. Heb. 9:10, 13, 19, 21; Mark 7:2-4; Luke 11:38<br><br>The London Confession of Baptist Faith, Chapter XXIX,<br>Of Baptism:<br>IV. Immersion, or dipping of the person in water, is necessary to the due administration of this ordinance.[6]<br>6. Matt. 3:16, John 3:23<br><br>Who is right here? It seems as the Baptists are a bit more restricting in their definition of proper methodology. I am wondering if the early Church held to similar beliefs, or if scripture warrants such an absolute definition?<br><br><br>God bless,<br><br>william<br><br><br><br>

#7910 - Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:54 PM Re: Who departed?  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
averagefellar,<br><br>William MacIntyre wrote a treatise entitled, The Token of the Covenant or The Subjects, The Mode, and the Nature and Design of Baptism (Free Presbyterian Publications, 1984), which I think deals a death blow to the view that immersion is the ONLY legitimate mode for baptism. He shows from myriad scriptures and by reason that immersion was not practiced by John the Baptist nor by any of the apostles. However, like myself, he does believe that immersion is a legitimate mode along with aspersion and effusion.<br><br>Howard, who hasn't been around lately and evidently is still having computer problems, once offered this booklet for free to all who asked. I would assume that the booklet is copyrighted, although there is no statement to that effect in it. If I was given permission from the publisher to do so, I would put it online. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]<br><br>Also, John Murray's book, Christian Baptism makes an excellent case against "baptizo = immersion".<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#7911 - Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:39 PM Re: Who departed?  
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline
Needs to get a Life

Kelowna, British Columbia, Can...
Not to open up a can of worms here [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif" alt="laugh" title="laugh[/img], but since you are on a Presbyterian board, it is obvious the kind of answer you are going to get.<br>This does not necessarily mean that they are wrong of course, but if you want to get both sides of this issue I would suggest that you ask that same question on a Reformed Baptist board.<br>I would suggest the following site: http://pub54.ezboard.com/fdiscussingreformationfrm1<br><br>Perhaps you might even include some of the things that are written in the articles Pilgrim mentioned in his post to you.<br><br>Tom<br>

#7912 - Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:11 PM Re: Who departed? [Re: Tom]  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
Tom,<br><br>FYI, this is NOT a "Presbyterian Board". In fact, only ONE individual on Staff is a Presbyterian. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#7913 - Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:24 PM Re: Who departed? [Re: Pilgrim]  
MarieP Offline
Permanent Resident
MarieP  Offline
Permanent Resident

Kentucky
Tom,<br><br>I am posting a Denominations poll over in the Open Forum. One was done more than three years ago, so I guess it's time for a new one!

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
#7914 - Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:26 PM Re: Who departed? [Re: Pilgrim]  
J_Edwards Offline
Needs to get a Life
J_Edwards  Offline
Needs to get a Life

USA
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]In fact, only ONE individual on Staff is a Presbyterian</font><hr></blockquote><p> Tom, That be ME, who was a Baptist for longer than he has been Presby!!!!!<br><br>PS: I think putting too much emphasis on something like this actually divides the attempted unity of God's family. IMHO I side with the Presby's against Baptists on this issue--and of course there is plenty written about it--but still the mode is not the primary importance concerning baptism, or at least should not....

Reformed and Always Reforming,
#7915 - Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:43 PM Re: Who departed? [Re: MarieP]  
MarieP Offline
Permanent Resident
MarieP  Offline
Permanent Resident

Kentucky
Yikes! One was posted four months ago!

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
#7916 - Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:01 PM Re: Who departed? [Re: Tom]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"] Not to open up a can of worms here , but since you are on a Presbyterian board, it is obvious the kind of answer you are going to get. </font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Hopefully, a well thought out and honest one. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile[/img] <br><br><br>God bless,<br><br>william

#7917 - Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:54 AM Re: Who departed? [Re: Pilgrim]  
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline
Needs to get a Life

Oh my mistake, I have been on this board for years now and that was my impression. Incert paedo-Baptist instead of "Presbyterian.<br>Out of curiousity, what are the denominations represented here on the staff?<br><br>Tom

Last edited by Tom; Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:04 AM.
#7918 - Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:06 AM Re: Who departed? [Re: J_Edwards]  
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Tom  Offline
Needs to get a Life

I agree, though I side with the Baptists on this particular issue, I don't believe this is something we should divide over. I have seen people on both sides of the debate do that.<br>The only reason I mentioned what I did is to make sure averagefeller was getting information from knowledgeable people on both sides.<br><br>Tom

#7919 - Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:16 AM Re: Who departed? [Re: Tom]  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Out of curiousity, what are the denominations represented here on the staff?</font><hr></blockquote><p>Well Tom, I could divulge that "top secret" information to you, but if I did, I would have to eliminate you. [Linked Image]<br><br>Perhaps you should simply look at the various Profiles of the Staff members and see what personal information can be gleaned from them? [Linked Image]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#7920 - Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:27 AM Re: Who departed? [Re: Tom]  
J_Edwards Offline
Needs to get a Life
J_Edwards  Offline
Needs to get a Life

USA
I guess what I was puzzled at Tom is why you being a Baptist would not trust the other posts of Baptists that you know are on this board. Why would someone need to go to another forum to get the Baptist side of things? [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/confused.gif" alt="confused" title="confused[/img]

Reformed and Always Reforming,
#7921 - Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:16 PM Re: Who departed? [Re: Tom]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"] I agree, though I side with the Baptists on this particular issue, I don't believe this is something we should divide over. </font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>To me, that's the dilemma. The baptists DID split over this issue, and now we need to make amends. I mean, doesn't the confession say my baptism is improper?<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"] The only reason I mentioned what I did is to make sure averagefeller was getting information from knowledgeable people on both sides. </font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>As a former baptist type theologian, I hope I have understood the arguments correctly. I am very familiar with some of the modern Baptist theologians, as well as having read some Spurgeon on the matter. I am interested in the true side.<br><br><br>God bless,<br><br>william

#7922 - Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:00 PM Re: Who departed?  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
I'm really surprised that rarely does the name, Augustus Strong, every get mentioned here or elsewhere by Baptists? I have read through his Systematic Theology and would think that he is an able defender of the Credo position. He is conservative and quasi-Reformed. Personally, I have benefited from reading his work and would recommend his Systematic Theology far more than someone like Beasley-Murray. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/evilgrin.gif" alt="evilgrin" title="evilgrin[/img]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#7923 - Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:20 PM Re: Who departed?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Speaking as a mostly reformed Baptist who grew up as a Lutheran I really don't like the term "who departed". In fact I think that the differences between the two confessions reveal a bias in both camps. It is obvious that the London Baptists viewed the members of the covenant to be people who could "confess with the mouth the Lord Jesus" and so wanted to distinguish themselves between those who considered the members of the covenant to be children of believers also.<br><br>I personally think people who argue over mode needs to find something better to do with their lives. And to consider the London Baptists as having departed from the revealed truth is truly stretching the issue!<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Whether the person baptized is to be wholly immersed, and that whether once or thrice, or whether he is only to be sprinkled with water, <span style="background-color:yellow;">is not of the least consequence: churches should be at liberty to adopt either according to the diversity of climates</span>, although it is evident that the term baptize means to immerse, and that this was the form used by the primitive Church. Book 4 Chapter Chapter 15 section 19 Calvin's Institues</font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br><br><br>

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (PerpetualLearner), 21 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
drewk, patrice, Robert1962, Ron, billmcginnis
921 Registered Users
Shout Box
December
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30