Donations for the month of December

We have received a total of $140 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,551
Posts50,776
Members921
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,314
Tom 3,324
chestnutmare 2,870
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,748
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,057
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 25
Pilgrim 21
Recent Posts
Adam created holy, so how could he fall?
by Pilgrim. Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:39 AM
Presuppositional Apologetics
by Tom. Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:42 PM
Christmas
by Pilgrim. Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:01 AM
Key teaching of Dispys is Gnostic
by PerpetualLearner. Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 PM
Glorious Bach
by goldenoldie. Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 AM
Nothing New Under the Sun?
by PerpetualLearner. Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:25 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#8451 - Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:08 PM Re: Intellect & Denomination  
J_Edwards Offline
Needs to get a Life
J_Edwards  Offline
Needs to get a Life

USA
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"] When we come up against someone who disagrees with our theology is karate', tai chi or the Scriptures our best defense. </font><hr></blockquote><p>The HAND of the Lord shall protect you (Psalm 118:16), but don't KICK against the pricks (Acts 9:5). [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile[/img]

Reformed and Always Reforming,
#8452 - Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:22 AM Re: Intellect & Denomination [Re: Pilgrim]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Martial arts is a religious practise as my friend informs me , just like yoga etc. I shall invite him here to tell you about one it day. Meanwhile I am sure there are books explaining the reality of it.<br><br>I believe he calls them Satans Arts .<br><br>Regardless how one feels about these arts , they have nothing to do with intellect. Denomination of which eastern religion yes , but intellect no.<br><br>BTW Pilgrim, do you believe Paisley runs a Pharisaical legalist cult ?<br><br>howard

#8453 - Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:21 AM Re: Intellect & Denomination [Re: J_Edwards]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice one Joe ! Who needs self-defense with protection like that.<br><br>howard

#8454 - Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:06 AM Re: Intellect & Denomination  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
Howard,

Your friend is clearly in error about all Martial Arts being a "religious practice". I can assure you that the overwhelming majority of present Martial Art businesses, for that is what they are here in the West, don't even teach Martial Arts, but a Hollywood version of self-defense . . . and that is really a degrading remark about "self-defense", never mind some alleged "religious practice". I began my study back in 1963.. so you count the number of years I have been associated with this subject. laugh I have many books in my library on the various Arts which I studied; some being authored by my own Sensei. You will not find ANYTHING of religion of them. It cannot be denied that in Japan, if you studied under any of the Masters who are continuing to teach one of the "classical" art forms, you would be exposed to mention of Buddhism or Taoism. However, this would be because the Sensei is a Buddhist or a Taoist. So, I say again, there is NOTHING inherently "religious" about the Martial Arts.
In reply to:

BTW Pilgrim, do you believe Paisley runs a Pharisaical legalist cult?

nope I believe Paisley runs a Pharisaical legalist sect. In fact, they are quite proud of their legalism and hand out a booklet which clearly tells you what they believe and what you must do/not do if you ever plan on being a member in any of their churches.

Oh, btw Howard, the pastor of the Free Presbyterian Church (Ireland) to which I attended for nearly a year does public baptism of adults and private baptism of infants. The reason he only does infant baptisms in private is because he doesn't want to offend the Credobaptist members. drop

I am NOT going to allow a discussion on Ian Paisley here. If you are wanting to begin a discussion on what is Legalism or something of that nature, then by all means feel free to do it. If you are wanting to begin a discussion concerning the doctrines and practices of the Free Presbyterian Church (Ireland), then by all means do that too. grin

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#8455 - Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:12 AM Re: Intellect & Denomination [Re: Pilgrim]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pilgrim, I had no idea the FPC were of that ilk . In fact I find this very disturbing since pharisiees and legalists are not Christians are they? I would like to see this booklet you spoke of and then I will surely deal with it.<br><br>howard

#8456 - Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:22 AM Re: Intellect & Denomination  
J_Edwards Offline
Needs to get a Life
J_Edwards  Offline
Needs to get a Life

USA
What I said above was just a joke [Linked Image]

As an ex-homicide detective and ex-military I took the martial arts strictly as self defense. Without it I would be dead and in a grave. There was 'no' mumbo-jumbo chanting or anything else that even began to appear to be cultic. Movements, techniques, and breathing was all it was.

IMHO we have to be careful to NOT categorize everything under what we may have seen in our life experiences, as life experiences are never complete. There is no way your friend could have visited every karate studio, et. al. in the world and come to the conclusion that he has. Maybe in England all karate studios do teach false beliefs with their karate lessons, but England is not the whole world.

Reformed and Always Reforming,
#8457 - Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:39 AM Re: Intellect & Denomination [Re: Pilgrim]  
ReformedThinker Offline
Enthusiast
ReformedThinker  Offline
Enthusiast

In the Hands of God
In reply to:
[color:"blue"]I taught Martial Arts to State Police and local law enforcement officers, in schools and to private individuals.

Cool! I'm teaching a course at my school in hand-to-hand combat as self-defense.

In the midst of your sadness and woe, when you are tormented and afflicted, have comfort! God's will is done.
#8458 - Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:32 AM Re: Intellect & Denomination [Re: J_Edwards]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

In reply to, " but England is not the whole world "

You've just burst my bubble Joe - I was convinced it was !

howard

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 17 guests, and 128 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
drewk, patrice, Robert1962, Ron, billmcginnis
921 Registered Users
Shout Box
December
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30