Donations for the month of November

We have received a total of $100 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,533
Posts50,706
Members921
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,292
Tom 3,298
chestnutmare 2,862
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,748
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,057
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 20
Pilgrim 16
John_C 3
Recent Posts
The Church of England Announcement
by Tom. Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:11 PM
Law and Grace
by Tom. Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:56 PM
Why I hate the left
by Pilgrim. Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:42 PM
What is a missionary work
by Pilgrim. Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 AM
Terrorist Attacks
by AJ Castellitto. Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:08 AM
Theonomy
by Pilgrim. Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:54 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#9170 - Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:20 PM Re: Santa? [Re: William]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Humbug ! [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif" alt="laugh" title="laugh[/img]

#9171 - Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:29 PM #2 with a however [Re: MarieP]  
John_C Online content
Permanent Resident
John_C  Online Content

Permanent Resident

Mississippi Gulf Coast
For some reason the phrase, <blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"] but the spirit of giving does </font><hr></blockquote><p>, sounds too PCish to me. It can mean different things to different people.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
#9172 - Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:15 PM Re: Santa? [Re: Wes]  
J_Edwards Offline
Needs to get a Life
J_Edwards  Offline
Needs to get a Life

USA
I agree with telling them where the "legend," "myth," and false teaching come from. I also believe there is more to Christmas than just "a spirit of giving," and thus desire to be more comprehensive....

Reformed and Always Reforming,
#9173 - Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:46 PM Re: Santa? [Re: J_Edwards]  
MarieP Offline
Permanent Resident
MarieP  Offline
Permanent Resident

Kentucky
Amen Joe!<br><br>Those sentences were ones I've actually heard people use. I wanted to see what you all thought about the "spirit of giving" part.<br><br>If I get married and have children, I too would tell them Santa doesn't exist. I wouldn't feel the need to use Santa as a metaphor. And of course I would tell them the Gospel! You are right- Christmas is so much more than just "the spirit of giving."

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
#9174 - Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:05 PM Re: Santa? [Re: gotribe]  
MarieP Offline
Permanent Resident
MarieP  Offline
Permanent Resident

Kentucky
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]My middle son told me just yesterday that it isn't really Christmas to him until we have gone to church together on Christmas Eve. I had to agree with him. </font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Wow! Praise God for that! We need more like him in today's world. How old is he?

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
#9175 - Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:55 PM Re: Santa? The truth shall set you free! [Re: Jason1646]  
Pilgrim Offline
Head Honcho
Pilgrim  Offline

Head Honcho

NH, USA
<center><font class="big">[color:red]Is there a Santa Claus?</font color=red></font mu=big></center><br><br><br>1) No known species of reindeer can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not COMPLETELY rule out flying reindeer which only Santa has ever seen. <br><br>2) There are 2 billion children (persons under 18) in the world. BUT since Santa doesn't (appear) to handle the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to 15% of the total - 378 million according to Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that's 91.8 million homes. One presumes there's at least one good child in each. <br><br>3) Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about .78 miles per household, a total trip of 75-1/2 million miles, not counting stops to do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding and etc. <br><br>This means that Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man-made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second; a conventional reindeer can run, tops, 15 miles per hour. <br><br>4) The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized lego set (2 pounds), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tons, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that "flying reindeer" (see point #1) could pull TEN TIMES the normal anoint, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine. We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the weight of the sleigh - to 353,430 tons. Again, for comparison - this is four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth. <br><br>5) 353,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as spacecrafts re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy. Per second. Each. In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to centrifugal forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 250-pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force. <br><br>In conclusion - If Santa ever DID deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he's dead now.<br><br><br><br>

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#9176 - Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:00 AM Re: Santa? [Re: MarieP]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The 'spirit of giving' is a life long occupation of all christians , all of the time . Xmass has nothing to do with it.<br><br>If you must 'give' at this Popish silly-season, then give bibles and reformed books - all the better to honour THE LORD JESUS CHRIST , not this christ of christmass [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile[/img] . Better still , give your money to your church [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img] . I would imagine that most folk spend more money on xmass than they do at their church in the course of a year. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/sad.gif" alt="sad" title="sad[/img]

#9177 - Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:06 AM Re: Santa?  
J_Edwards Offline
Needs to get a Life
J_Edwards  Offline
Needs to get a Life

USA
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]If you must 'give' at this Popish silly-season, then give bibles and reformed books - all the better to honour THE LORD JESUS CHRIST , not this christ of christmass </font><hr></blockquote><p> What about giving food, shelter, and clothing? What about giving something like your time ? Academia is great, and I love books, but we need not let the other be undone. Part and parcel of true worship is true giving. Is there any time during the year we are not to give or worship?

#9178 - Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:20 AM Re: Santa? [Re: J_Edwards]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Christianty is full time work Joe . Most christians I know spend all their money "giving" useless gifts to one another instead of feeding the homeless etc. <br><br>Time is , in my opinion, the best gift one christian can give anyone .

#9179 - Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:00 AM Re: Santa?  
J_Edwards Offline
Needs to get a Life
J_Edwards  Offline
Needs to get a Life

USA
I agree with you that many do indeed give useless gifts. We purchase trinkets, boxes of candy, and numerous others things that amount to saying...not much. What did you do with that ugly "?" that you received one year? They do the same (actually you probably received theirs from last year). These types of items are indeed kind, but if we are giving things let us give something that is lasting.<br><br>Yes, Howard everyone in my family knows the only things I desire for Christmas is books (each get a distinct list, so I do not end up with duplicates). But, you know, the lady Sunday morning who said she was praying for me, that is a precious gift. When I look at the beautiful family God has so wonderfully blessed me with, I see I already have many wonderful gifts, that will outlast any wordily ownership. Even here on this forum I thank God for the many friends that have prayed for and nourished my impoverished soul, I am indeed most blessed. Christ has me and I Him. I am already so blessed what more do I need? What I see is lacking is more worship, more prayer, and more doing for others. There are so many genuine ways of giving. May God open our eyes to "the wayside" this Christmas season (and always) to see what opportunities He has in store for us.<br><br>

#9180 - Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:07 AM Re: Santa? [Re: J_Edwards]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amen and Amen brother !

#9181 - Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:01 PM Re: Santa? The truth shall set you free! [Re: Pilgrim]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

And with that in mind I must also direct you to our capitalistic venture run by my son and I.<br><br>Professor Thumbscrew's Christmas Cards which is not in time for this season but is in time for next year. Buy some for your friends. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]

#9182 - Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:24 PM Re: Santa? [Re: Wes]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wes in that account of the legend of Santa Claus they seem to forget that in the Netherlands St. Nicholas' helper is Black Peter (Zwarte Piet) a moorish servant who listens down the chimney to hear whether the children have been good. It is Black Peter that gives out the candy and gifts or if they have been bad the whippings. In fact in many of the European countries the attendant of St. Nicholas is very scary sometimes it is even a devil! <br>St. Nicholas' attendents

#9183 - Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:56 PM Re: Santa? The truth shall set you free! [Re: Pilgrim]  
Jason1646 Offline
Addict
Jason1646  Offline
Addict

New Hampshire
Pilgrim: Military Veteran, Olympic Skier, Westminster Alumnus, Maker of Fine Furniture, Savy Computer User ... and now ... Physicist?! You trying to outdo the writer of Ecclesiastes? [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif" alt="laugh" title="laugh[/img]<br><br>~Jason<br>

#9184 - Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:12 AM Re: Santa?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Satan and Santa are both known as "Old Nick" btw [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Meta4), 16 guests, and 102 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
drewk, patrice, Robert1962, Ron, billmcginnis
921 Registered Users
Shout Box
November
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30