The Highway
Posted By: Tom Whitefield and Wesley - Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:55 AM
Recently I came across an article about John Wesley and his relationship with George Whitefield.
http://www.sinnersinthehandsofanangryblog.com/2017/07/shut-up-wesley.html
Although I knew that Wesley was not a fan of Calvinism. I was not aware of just how anti-Calvinist he was. If the article actually represented Wesley correctly; I find it very hard to understand how Wesley and Whitefield could have been such good friends. They were such good friends that Wesley even officiated Whitefield’s funeral.
I have some Arminian friends, but if they started talking the way Wesley did against Calvinism; they would not be my friends for long. I was discussing this with a friend over coffee today and he told me he read that as a direct result of the influence of John Wesley, when George Whitefield returned from America to England. He found it hostile to Calvinism and he had a hard time preaching the Gospel.
A few quotes from Wesley.
Q. 74. What is the direct antidote to Methodism, the doctrine of heart holiness?
A. Calvinism: all the devices of Satan, for these fifty years have done far less toward stopping the work of God, than that single doctrine. It strikes at the heart of salvation from sin, previous to glory, putting the matter on quite another issue.[3]
“You represent God as worse than the devil; more false, more cruel, more unjust. But you say you will prove it by scripture. Hold! What will you prove by Scripture? That God is worse than the devil"[6]

Tom
Posted By: JesusFan Re: Whitefield and Wesley - Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:35 PM
And yet both of them respected each other, and saw them as preachers for God!
Posted By: Tom Re: Whitefield and Wesle - Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:41 PM
Originally Posted by JesusFan
And yet both of them respected each other, and saw them as preachers for God!
I just said that. The question is how?

Tom
Posted By: JesusFan Re: Whitefield and Wesle - Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:22 PM
Good question, and I guess only way is that they both recognized each other as Brothers in Christ!
In spite of one being a Calvinist, and another a free will Methodist/
© The Highway